Does SoMD want a taste of Philadelphia?

Devo

West Philadelphia Raised
I'm originally from Philadelphia and frequented many bars and clubs during my time there. I haven't been to any bars / clubs down here yet, but from reading online, it sounds like I wont be able to find the type of music I could hear in a Philly club/bar here is SoMD. (Justice, Digitalism, Daft Punk, Klaxons, Bravery, and other indie/underground/electronica acts)

My question is...are there any bars/clubs in the area that actually do play this type of music? If not, would any be places willing to have me do a guest DJ spot one night a month? Is there even a crowd for this type of music? I am by no means a professional, but I can do a performance with just my computer and mp3's, as most people do anyway.

I'm not trying to solicite or anything, just seeing if anyone knows of anyplaces that I could go to in and talk with someone in person. Thanks!

MrX

High Octane
Check the Myspace page for Hula's in California, Md MySpace.com - HULAS BUNGALOW - 21 - Male - CALIFORNIA, Maryland - www.myspace.com/hulasbungalow

They have DJ's there occassionally that play type of music, you could probably find more info on their page. Otherwise Id have to say DC or Baltimore would be where you could find it. No idea how much of a crowd draw that has in SoMd, ive been out of that scene for quite a few years.

You may find some info on Maryland Party - Entertainment, Performers, Nightclubs, and more! as well.

Not sure exactly, try somewhere in DC :shrug:

Oh and yes, I'd love a taste of Philly. I want an authentic Philly cheesesteak :yum:

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
I'm originally from Philadelphia and frequented many bars and clubs during my time there. I haven't been to any bars / clubs down here yet, but from reading online, it sounds like I wont be able to find the type of music I could hear in a Philly club/bar here is SoMD. (Justice, Digitalism, Daft Punk, Klaxons, Bravery, and other indie/underground/electronica acts)

My question is...are there any bars/clubs in the area that actually do play this type of music? If not, would any be places willing to have me do a guest DJ spot one night a month? Is there even a crowd for this type of music? I am by no means a professional, but I can do a performance with just my computer and mp3's, as most people do anyway.

I'm not trying to solicite or anything, just seeing if anyone knows of anyplaces that I could go to in and talk with someone in person. Thanks!

If you get a gig post about it. I'd go check it out. Love Philly. :yay:

Devo

West Philadelphia Raised
If you get a gig post about it. I'd go check it out. Love Philly. :yay:

definetly will. i have a "demo" mix that i made a while back. its like a 2 - 3 hour long mix of just continuous dance/electronica type stuff. it would be something i would use to say, hey, this is what i would play, do you like it?

ill have to upload it to mediashare or something and ill post the link. tell me what you think.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant

Yes, in DC. Some of my favorite electronica is in DC. Do a google search, and you'll pull a lot of clubs there.

L

luckystar

definetly will. i have a "demo" mix that i made a while back. its like a 2 - 3 hour long mix of just continuous dance/electronica type stuff. it would be something i would use to say, hey, this is what i would play, do you like it?

ill have to upload it to mediashare or something and ill post the link. tell me what you think.

I'd be interested in hearing it. And no, there really isn't anywhere local you can go to hear that sort of thing without going up to DC/Baltimore. Check out buzzlife.com, they have a forum there and host parties in the DC area. They used to throw parties every Friday night at a place called Nation, but since they've moved onto Avenue, and I believe Fur more permanently (Fur is the better venue). They put up incredible decorations for special events. They use a company from down in FL last I heard. Pretty impressive.

There's also a massive that occurs annually in Baltimore called Starscape, that DB and Infected Mushroom played this past time around. So many more names, but I was most upset about missing IM. It's a lot of fun, outdoors and by the water. Usually just a little over $100 gets you open bar all night and backstage access. Almost got it last time I went, but I was on a budget.

There's definitely stuff like that around, you just have to drive a ways for it. The buzzlife.com forums also have threads that discuss non buzzlife events in the DC/Baltimore area. Good luck finding what you want!

BTW, let me know if you get on the buzzlife forums. I might finally get back on there after my year long hiatus. My s/n over there is [geek].

Devo

West Philadelphia Raised
I'd be interested in hearing it. And no, there really isn't anywhere local you can go to hear that sort of thing without going up to DC/Baltimore. Check out buzzlife.com, they have a forum there and host parties in the DC area. They used to throw parties every Friday night at a place called Nation, but since they've moved onto Avenue, and I believe Fur more permanently (Fur is the better venue). They put up incredible decorations for special events. They use a company from down in FL last I heard. Pretty impressive.

There's also a massive that occurs annually in Baltimore called Starscape, that DB and Infected Mushroom played this past time around. So many more names, but I was most upset about missing IM. It's a lot of fun, outdoors and by the water. Usually just a little over $100 gets you open bar all night and backstage access. Almost got it last time I went, but I was on a budget.

There's definitely stuff like that around, you just have to drive a ways for it. The buzzlife.com forums also have threads that discuss non buzzlife events in the DC/Baltimore area. Good luck finding what you want!

BTW, let me know if you get on the buzzlife forums. I might finally get back on there after my year long hiatus. My s/n over there is [geek].

ill have to check that out. i recently got into Infected mushroom and need to incorporate some of their stuff into my sets. here is the list for 1 of my mixes...

http://kidkaprie.googlepages.com/setlist.JPG

i uploaded it a while back, but im pretty sure the link is now dead.

L

luckystar

ill have to check that out. i recently got into Infected mushroom and need to incorporate some of their stuff into my sets. here is the list for 1 of my mixes...

http://kidkaprie.googlepages.com/setlist.JPG

i uploaded it a while back, but im pretty sure the link is now dead.

OMG, nice. I could do without Ms. Clarkson, but I'd imagine the song fitting in well with everything else.

Have you heard of Mike Relm? He went on tour with Blue Man Group a while ago, don't know if he still is. His performance includes 'scratching' videos with the music. It's been a while, all I remember from it is Nacho Libre getting kicked over and over again... I think there was some Pulp Fiction in there too, it was interesting to say the least.

Mike Relm = best. mashups. evar. EVAR.

Try and find "Relm and Josie" by him on playlist.com

Devo

West Philadelphia Raised
OMG, nice. I could do without Ms. Clarkson, but I'd imagine the song fitting in well with everything else.

Have you heard of Mike Relm? He went on tour with Blue Man Group a while ago, don't know if he still is. His performance includes 'scratching' videos with the music. It's been a while, all I remember from it is Nacho Libre getting kicked over and over again... I think there was some Pulp Fiction in there too, it was interesting to say the least.

Mike Relm = best. mashups. evar. EVAR.

Try and find "Relm and Josie" by him on playlist.com

ill have to check that out.

i too could have done with out kelly clarkson as well, along with a few other of the songs, but it was a mix i made for a party and i wanted popular music (kelly, fall out boy, solja boy) for them to enjoy along with good music (digitalism, justice, etc.) for them to experience.

L

luckystar

ill have to check that out.

i too could have done with out kelly clarkson as well, along with a few other of the songs, but it was a mix i made for a party and i wanted popular music (kelly, fall out boy, solja boy) for them to enjoy along with good music (digitalism, justice, etc.) for them to experience.

Eh, I could have done without the Fallout Boy as well, but I have to admit I'm a huge fan of Timberlake. He's come a long way since N'Sync, and working with Timbaland was a good move. That, and I've been getting into stuff like Solja Boy over the past few years, too. I fell in love with Lil Jon when he came out with Get Low. You know his first passion was spinning?

Devo

West Philadelphia Raised
Eh, I could have done without the Fallout Boy as well, but I have to admit I'm a huge fan of Timberlake. He's come a long way since N'Sync, and working with Timbaland was a good move. That, and I've been getting into stuff like Solja Boy over the past few years, too. I fell in love with Lil Jon when he came out with Get Low. You know his first passion was spinning?

im a big fan of timberlake as well. i can't stand soulja boy at all really. i think how he got his record deal is pretty cool, but his music sucks big time...in my opinion.

can't really stand lil jon either. lol. some of his produced stuff is okay, but i normally dont listen to it on my own. ill put it in mixes and stuff, b/c thats what people wanna hear, but it usually stays off my personal playlist.