Local Phone Service Sucks...

jeneisen

Indy Bound
I don't know what anyone else in the area thinks of Verizion but I hate them.  I am paying way too much just to have a phone turned on.  I pay almost 50.00 a month for local service with call waiting ID and its ridiculus.  That doesn't even include long distance.  Does anyone know any other local carriers or a way out of Verizion?  I found a cheap LD carrier that does in state local long distance for 6 cents a min with is half the price of Verizon but I still have to have a local phone.  Help...

alex

Have you looked into a cell phone?  Many of them turn out to be cheaper and offer long distance as well.  I am trying to convince my husband that we don't really need our land line but he wants it as a backup.

PmoneyandTT

thats funny - I pay 34.00 a month with caller id - three way calling and call waiting.. If I just had a phone no options it would be around 24 bucks.. I know at one time before verizon took over - bell atlantic had an option to have limited calls per month - and it was like 12 bucks but after a certain amount of calls - then you paid 25 cents there after each local call.. The only other way to get out of that bill is get a cell phone - or use the pay phone.. Somethings you can't get out of paying - unless you don't have it - or just use your computer as phone access.. By sending emails to whomever.. But that can become over bearing.. You are paying for convience when having a land phone - even a cell phone..

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Check your bill. You may be paying for a service you either don't want, or don't need. Example - Verizon sometimes charges for an optional 'Guardian' service which is basically like paying for an extended warranty - you don't need it.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Quote: from jeneisen on 11:36 am on Jan. 17, 2002[br]  I am paying way too much just to have a phone turned on.  I pay almost 50.00 a month for local service with call waiting ID and its ridiculus.
Yup...$48 here and I don't even have to make a call.  If you have 2 or more of those extra options on your line that is what drives the price up.  Might as well get the whole package.  The kids like call waiting and they use it but I think it is just rude.  If anyone ever puts me on hold to take another call I hang right up.  I like call block and I've used all my options on that one---blocking the drugged-out retards that call my daughter at all hours of the night.  Wish they'd give me an unlimited number on how many of those I can make, hehe.:ohwell:

I switched our long distance carrier to CloseCall America last year.  They charge 5 cents a minute and bill in 6 second increments.  They are also offering local service for a lower price and no hidden fees.  Just happen to have the bill right here...800-845-2215  Right now if you switch your local service you get one month free.

blondie79

All I know is I pay for call waiting, caller id, and the answering machine.  I just got this months phone bill and not including long distance it was 71.00.  I am going to call them today to find out what I can cut out or find out why my plan is so high.

Ken

Yeah, Verizon has us pretty much over a barrel.  I did find a long distance calculator that lets you input your current long distance bill, then runs out and finds you a better deal.  It's :

http://4-call.com/calc

At least I cut my MD long distance bill in half.

Ken

(Edited by Ken at 12:37 pm on Feb. 27, 2002)

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I pay almost 50.00 a month for local service...

I pay 34.00 a month ..

$48 here and I don't even have to make a call.

All I know is I pay for call waiting, caller id, and the answering machine.  I just got this months phone bill and not including long distance it was 71.00. .

I don't have call waiting, caller ID, call forwarding or use their message service. Picked one of the plans the allows a limited number of calls and pay $17 a month.
Went to lowermybills.com and got a long distance carrier that usually runs around $5 a month.
Jusy because the phone company has all these really cool options, doesn't mean you have to buy them

GreenHornet

I don't have call waiting, caller ID, call forwarding or use their message service. Picked one of the plans the allows a limited number of calls and pay $17 a month.
Went to lowermybills.com and got a long distance carrier that usually runs around $5 a month.
Jusy because the phone company has all these really cool options, doesn't mean you have to buy them

This would have been great to know like 6 years ago when the guy needed the help.

belvak

Happy Camper
Wow, I'm confused. I have Verizon and get Caller Id, Call Waiting (which I don't use), Voice Mail and Unlimited Long Distance for about $50 per month. That includes all the stupid hidden fees for taxes and stuff. I know that one time they offered a special (or lowered their rates) and if you didn't call and request the bargain, you didn't automatically get it. Who knows?? Anyway, my Parents are long distance, so it's definitely worth it for me (I can't get cell reception in my house).

belvak

Happy Camper
The gay hornet is digging up old threads

:buddies: Yeah, I see that! Unfortunately, not before I replied!! I hadn't been in the Forum yet today, so didn't realize that old posts were being dredged up. Speaking of dredged up, we had Oysters today!! YUM! Steamed on the grill and fried some. Wish you all could have been here!! :smoochy:

GreenHornet

:buddies: Yeah, I see that! Unfortunately, not before I replied!! I hadn't been in the Forum yet today, so didn't realize that old posts were being dredged up. Speaking of dredged up, we had Oysters today!! YUM! Steamed on the grill and fried some. Wish you all could have been here!! :smoochy:

Sucka!