Hazardous Material?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Last night when my husband got home from work he brought with him a nearly empty spray can of Lysol.  "What's this?" I ask..."There's barely any left."  With a big grin of disgust on his face he tells me that the gov't inspection nazi's came into his office earlier in the day.  

Did you know that Lysol is a hazardous material?  So is the bottle of isopropyl alcohol he had on his desk--it's gotta go.  Both were in original labeled containers.  Also considered hazardous was the gallon jug of H2O he keeps for refilling the fish bowl on his desk.  I asked him if they made him dump out the water in the fish bowl.  They didn't, but they wanted him to get rid of the other jug of water for his plants, it's blue 'miracle grow' in a gallon jug.  "Not marked" they say "it's hazardous material."  I guess the black marker I labeled both jugs with wore off over the months.  He said they confiscated the bag of charcoal from the building that they use for their grill, but not the grill itself.  Charcoal is combustible material, ya know.  I'm surprised they left the reams of copy paper alone.  Maybe they can use them in the grill.

Before they left they promised to bring him a new container of Lysol and alcohol.  The bottles that they will be replaced with are not hazardous material because they will have a big label that says "FEDERAL GOV'T" on them.  Hahahahaha---go figure.

S

ShellyCW

:roflmao:

Sharon-- sounds familiar.  My husband works as a gov't. contractor, and apparently has to file special HAZMAT paperwork when ordering or disposing of things like WhiteOut, glass cleaner, or anything of the sort.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Yep,  that's the way life is now (at least in the government).  You get a MSDS (Material Data Safety Sheet) with everything, even furniture.   Some of it makes sense and some doesn't, go figure.

geekboy

Hey Ken

Have you ever seen the MSDS sheet for water?  

I had to solder something once at Strike and they wouldnt let me unless I brought them the MSDS sheet for solder.  

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Nope, but I can imagine that there are quite a few.  Like for tap water, for the water coolers, for swimming pools, for the water in the standpipes, for denatured water at the motor pool or labs for various purposes, and for the hard water used for cooling reactor cores.  I am sure there are even more dealing with water.  I've seen the ones that come with the furniture, the carpet, and all the various chemicals and compounds that we take for granted in every day life.   I even worked a union deal on a sick building were the carpet was letting off fumes that caused a few employees to get fairly ill. Solder, you bet, the resins and lead content determine the type ventilation required for the job. Old Marconi over in the corner soldering away with the blowtorch and block of lead poisoning the air a lot worse then anything a smoker could do. It's almost too scary to think about and yet we worry ourselves to death over a little second hand smoke.   At least when I smoke you can see it coming and can avoid it.  Now I do it out in the open air and they are trying to stop me from doing that too.  Maybe if I just carried a MSDS for cigarettes they would leave me alone. :clap:

geekboy

Unfortunately alot of the "regulations" come from someone that doesn't have enough real work to do so they create work.  Its like all of those new instruction emails we get all the time.  

The same thing is true for "team concepts" etc.