Happy Meals: Not Just For Kids Anymore

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
McDonald's to Launch Adult Happy Meals

CHICAGO - McDonald's Corp. has enlisted the aid of Oprah Winfrey's personal trainer Bob Greene to promote an adult version of the Happy Meal, the fast-food giant's latest effort to offer healthier products.

Instead of Happy Meal standards like a burger and a toy, the new Go Active meal will include a salad, an exercise booklet and a pedometer meant to encourage walking.

Fitness guru BGreene has agreed to help promote the Go Active Meal, which is being test-marketed at 150 McDonald's restaurants in Indiana.

McDonald's and other fast-food chains have tried to offer healthier fare that will still temp tastebuds as the fat and calorie content of their core products has come under scrutiny. Burger King, the No. 2 hamburger chain, planned to launch a new line of low-fat, baguette-style chicken sandwiches on Thursday.

Two weeks ago, a federal judge in New York dismissed an obesity lawsuit against McDonald's that alleged it had been hiding the health risks of eating its popular Big Macs and Chicken McNuggets. It was the second time this year that U.S. District Judge Robert Sweet threw out a class-action lawsuit that blamed McDonald's for making people fat.

Greene, who can't remember the last time he visited a McDonald's restaurant, said consumers had to take "personal responsibility" for the choices they make when it comes to consuming food. He will also consult on new menu items for the Oak Brook, Ill.-based company, which also announced a new taco version of its premium salads on Tuesday.

McDonald's has a "long, long way to go" to solidify a reputation for promoting healthy foods, said Bob Goldin, an analyst at Chicago-based food consultancy Technomic. But Goldin was willing to give the company credit for trying.

"McDonald's sees some major trends, and the company is trying to be responsive," Goldin said. "Whether these initiatives will actually move the needle (to boost sales), I don't know."

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I don't know. I haven't been to Burger King in years. But it wouldn't surprise me in the least that Mickey Dee's would copy from another joint's success.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Originally posted by jazz lady
I don't know. I haven't been to Burger King in years. But it wouldn't surprise me in the least that Mickey Dee's would copy from another joint's success.
:yikes:

tater

:yikes:

I wonder what the guys get though :confused:

Attachments

• adulthappymeal.jpg
    adulthappymeal.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

TWLs wife

I heard about a month ago................

It's little bigger than a big kids meal & a little smaller than a meal deal. Why:confused:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
a salad, an exercise booklet and a pedometer
I don't know about you all but that doesn't make me feel particularly happy.

How about a steak, a Clancy novel and a beer? Now THAT'S a Happy Meal! :cheers: