fishing post Isabel

Rane

Lookin for Margaritaville
has anyone gone fishing since Isabel blew thru here ? we figured it has the fish pretty shook up so we havent ventured out since ... we're anxious to get back out there next weekend and was just wondering what the fishing will be like ? anyone care to give his/her thoughts on this ?

MD DNR has banned harvesting shelfish sue to concerns over pollution. Don't know how long the ban will be in effect.

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
Huntr1, where'd you hear about the ban on shellfish? I was wondering what it was going to do to the start of oyster season. I saw the Channel 10 fishing report last night and he said no one has been fishing, not even commercial folks, and probably would be a week or so before they heard any news.

Rane

Tipsy and Huntr1, i heard the same news about the ban on shellfish this morning on the radio going to work ... but that doesn't ban fishing for trout, spot, etc... does it ?

Rane

I was reading an article in yesterday's Enterprise and it mentioned the ban on shellfish does not affect fishing or crabbing ... but also mentions it will be some time before we realize the full effects of Isabel on the Bay and rivers ... fortunately Isabel struck late enough in the year and most fish have finished their reproductive cycles ... except for trout - they normally finish spawning in october .... I didnt know that . Anyways just thought I would post this for those who might be interested , time for me to go to work, hope everyone has a great day, 1 more day till the weekend !!

Vince

Heard a fishing report on Mon. They said that they're catching perch, spot and catfish. Haven't heard anything on rockfish.

Rane

Originally posted by Vince
Heard a fishing report on Mon. They said that they're catching perch, spot and catfish. Haven't heard anything on rockfish.

Vince, where are they catching catfish ? I suppose because we are fishing near the mouth of the Patuxent we havent found any catfish but would love to find a good place to catch them ... any advice ? I caught one in early spring at St Marys Lake but the few times we have fished there this past summer it was mostly bass and bluegill biting .

Vince

Originally posted by Rane
Vince, where are they catching catfish ? I suppose because we are fishing near the mouth of the Patuxent we havent found any catfish but would love to find a good place to catch them ... any advice ? I caught one in early spring at St Marys Lake but the few times we have fished there this past summer it was mostly bass and bluegill biting .

Best place to catch catfish is Allen's Fresh. Been fishing there for a few years and never failed to catch the cats.

Rane

Originally posted by Vince
Best place to catch catfish is Allen's Fresh. Been fishing there for a few years and never failed to catch the cats.

Where is Allen's Fresh ? Sorry, have only lived here a year now and still learning my way around .

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
Allen's Fresh is near the end of Rte. 234 right before you hit 301 in Glasva. It's a small double bridge where the road cuts across the Wicomico River. You have to wade/walk down through the marsh area to fish. They've been catching cats in the Wicomico all year.

Capt Brady

Fishing After Isabel Getting Better

Not withstanding that the autumnal weather is producing some northerly winds, the fishing out of the Pax River is slowly returning. Everyday there are stripers and bluefish mixed breaking at Cedar Point Rip and there are some keepers in them but you gotta cull them out.

Two days ago, my flyfishing client caught and released a 34" striper in the mouth of the Pax, near the three legged marker.

We also have been visiting structural places using topwater lures/flies in the early am with great results.

I'm hearing that the really hot,hot,hotspot is in Tangier Sound around the Puppy Hole #8 buoy for seatrout, blues and stripes.

More later....