Are Good Paying IT Jobs Dead?!

Warren76

Folks,

(Refer to Diane's job advertisement quoted below).  I can't believe that Information Technology (IT) salaries have declined to be
at an hourly salary of 25 cents above the minimum wage! L  Upon first reading
Diane's hourly salary offering of $6.00 per hour, the first thing that came to mind was "Would you like fries with that shake?"

Speaking about fast food industry salaries, McDonald's, Burger King, etal. pay several dollars per hour above minimum Wage, and fringe benefits are also provided!  C'mon Diane, you should offer between $9.00 to $12.00 per hour!  What are you trying to do?  Create a sweat-shop IT organization there in Waldorf?

In closing Diane, your offered job description reads well (some typos, notwithstanding).  But you need to seriously reconsider increase your offered hourly salary.  A range of $9.00 to $15.00 per hour would be a great starting salary range for a full time employee.

=== Quoted Job Advertisement on Southern MD Classifieds Web Page ========

On February 09, 2002 at 15:23:44, Diane typed the following on
The Southern Maryland Classifieds web page:

"Temporary position for person to scan documents into computer.
       Experience with computers preferred. Pleasant personality, able to
       handle multi-tasks, and dependable. Postion has possibility to go
       permanent for the right person. Employment time period now through
       April 1st.

Position is located in Waldorf, Maryland. 40 hour week with possible
       overtime. Salary is $6.00 per hour.

E-mail resume to bowlescpa@earthlink.net"

geekboy

This isn't an IT job, its a temp job that anyone that can scan a picture can do.  If your near a college you find students doing jobs like this all the time for $1 or so higher than min wage.  

Warren76

geekboy,

CAREFULLY read Diane's original ad where she mentioned "..handle
multi-tasks...".  I agree with you about the simplicity of scanning
documents which only mandates being paid a few dollars, at
best, above minimum wage.  But the ad also reads that she plans to
slide additional (IT or non-IT) tasks onto the candidate.
Indeed, the onus rests upon the job interviewee to carefully
inquire about the specific tasks (s)he will be responsible for,
and request a higher salary accordingly.  I guess it was too
straightforward for Diane to have specified what those
"multi-tasks" to be performed by the job candidate will be?

JOEZ

Speaking from Experience.  Getting into the IT Field in Southern Maryland is REALLY hard. EVEN with a college degree.  Makes it even harder when you have no experience.  This would provide great experience for a college student or someone trying to get into the IT Field.  Even if you do get an entry level IT job in southern Maryland, don't expect to be making $15 a hour.  Since you are looking on the Help wanted and complaining about the job, one can only assume that you are looking for an IT job.  Just an idea, get rid of the attiduted and you might get hired on.  Must have a little time on your hands to be complaining about an ad that someone posted and then go out of your way to point out where people can read your response.  Get a life and grow up.

Warren76

StarBuck,

I tell you WHY I DO CARE; because viewing job ads similiar
to Diane's reminds me of how employers exploit the "little man".

Indeed, I posted Diane regarding her advertised "job".  She
never answered my question regarding whether any fringe benefits
were being offered for the "temp-to-perm" position.  And,
she was not negotiable on her offered salary.  

Thus, via Diane's responses, I am no longer interested in
that "job".  Oh by the way, Diane responded that she selected
someone for the position.  I responded back to her with "If
that's true, then haven't you posted another ad to state that
the position has been filled?"  She never responded to that
question.  Teeheehee

Warren76

JOEZ,

You presentes some good points about the IT job market.
That is probably the way it is, not only in Southern Maryland,
but throughout this country.

And as far sa me "getting and life and growing up" to be like
you?!  NAH...I'll PASS!  Hahahahahahaa

JOEZ

Sir,

I have a well paying job in the IT field in southern Maryland.  So, maybe you do want to be like me.......................

Yes it is very hard to find a good IT position in Southern Maryland, I have a CIS degree and a Master and I still can't find a good IT position.  I have over 5 years experince and all I can find is low paying positions.  I thank God that I have second degree in accounting fall back on!

Warren76

Good for you, brownbunny. ;)  It's great to read that you have a backup
career plan.  May you have continued success in your accounting career endeavors. :)  And, maybe IT careers will return to the quality salary and job offering levels characteristic of the mid 1990's.

Warren76

JOEZ,

I been there and still doing that, as far as having an IT career is concerend.  Yes, I worked in the IT career since 1993.

I worked for one IT firm (located in Reston, VA) for 2 years, 9 months, and 27 days.  My supervisors informed me that I "was doing a great job."  So what was my reward?  That "dot.bomb" firm laid me off two weeks before Christmas 2000!  :(  My lay-off was one of many during that company's downsizing routine of employee bloodletting.

Sure, I could have remained bitter.  But instead, I chose to be bone-up
on my IT skills.  Currently, I work part-time (20 hours per week) as a junior web developer.

In closing, how long have you worked for your present company?  And, how long do YOU THINK you will remain employed with that company?
And while you ponder answers to that last question, keep your resume updated and your skills (IT or otherwise) sharp!

Regards,

-Warren-

Warren76

Starbuck,

I take exception to your allegation that I slandered Diane regarding her
original ad.  And no, I did not attack her, I simply critiqued her job ad.  Had she simply stated the speciific document scanner position description in and of itself (and include other nebulous duties), I would have left her ad alone and not having bothered to respond to it.

We are all entitled to our opionions.  Yu're entitled to yours, and I am entitled to mine, at least the last time I checked living here in the great USA. ;)  

Besides, what are you, an attorney?  If you are, I've heard that ex-Enron executives can use your services defending themselves from being sued by former Enron employees! ;)

Warren76

Starbuck,

Be verty careful in your choice of words referring to my comments about Diane's job ad.  get YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!  I didn't harass her; I simply Emailed her to ask specific questions regarding the job and to negotiate a higher salary.  You, not I, are swimming in the cesspool of misinformation and stooping to actions of innuendo and making unfounded judgements against me! :(  

It appears that you are the provebial "pot calling the kettle black", here.  
YOU are the one harassing me by erroneously stating that I have harassed Diane.  And, since when has the need to acquire truthful information about a job constitutes harassment?

geekboy

Experience with computers perfered......scan documents and multitask.  

It means they want someone that can scan a document, get coffee for the boss, and not need help turning on the computer.  

Job ads almost always ask for more than they can get out of people,  just seems to me like any 16 year old kid could do this one and $6/hr isn't unreasonable.  

Warren76

geekboy,

That's obvious about Diane's job ad.  My point, ... AGAIN ... , is that she
didn't specify what tose "tasks" are.  Nor did she respond to my
Email message inquiring about same.

birdman42

Unfortunately, in these current times, in the IT Professions, the value of a competent Document Scanner is probably only $6 an hour……    

The real money is in Document Shredding……