St. Charles Towne Center Mall Safety comments please

P

protectu

Hi, I am just curious is there anyone other than myself who feels that the Malls not as safe as it used to be. I read an article recently and it said that consumer confidence is up. the last few times I have been there with my young children I was horrified. Saw a young man with a bloody face (in the early afternoon on a weekend from a fight), lots of disrespectful young people, no table space due to people who weren't eating sitting down; etc. Am I the only one seeing this or are there others? Please let me know and what do you think we as taxpayers can do to get our mall back the way it used to be. Thanks

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
I agree the mall has gotten a lot worse!! It doesn't help when the gangs come down from DC & PG County. I think the police and the mall should do a lot more. Considering that the mall is in an resid. area. The crime is spilling over into the neighborhoods!

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Landover Mall ring a bell?

I don't go to St. Charles anymore. I like Annapolis but I really like the new Bowie Town Center.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by cattitude
Landover Mall ring a bell?
I used to shop there during high school. Haven't they closed this one down? The hood was pretty crappy in those days.

The only time I venture into malls is during the Christmas season and most of the time I can walk around all day and not buy anything. I prefer shopping on the internet.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Sharon -- In high school and for a while after (mid-late 70's) it was the place to go although it had it's share of crime. A girl I went to high school with was murdered there. The neighborhood was miserable even then. Yeah, it's closed now.

Warron

I've never had a problem at St Charles. I read about someone being killed in the parking lot a while back, but I've never seen anything remotely violent while there. I do agree that the food area gets extremely crowded. My problem with Anapolis mall is access and parking. Its a pain to get to and hard to find parking when you do get there. Its alot easier to go up 235/5 then 4/2. Personally, I would like to see a mall down here in Lex Park. Maybe the population is not yet high enough, but I'm starting to hate driving as I get older.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Sharon
The only time I venture into malls is during the Christmas season and most of the time I can walk around all day and not buy anything. I prefer shopping on the internet.

I went to the Westfield mall in Annapolis yesterday - probably the first mall I've gone into in YEARS. "Yikes" is all I can say. Like Sharon, I'd rather shop over the internet - no crowds, no lines, no screaming kids, no punks.

I used to think nothing of going to malls like Landover by myself. Yesterday, I was sure glad I had someone with me. I would not have felt safe walking through the mall or the parking lots - ESPECIALLY the parking lots (weirdo central) - by myself. And this was Annapolis - the closest I go to the St. Charles mall is the B.J.'s Wholesale Club across from it.

Last edited:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
One of my co-workers had her car stolen while she was at Towne Centre a few months back, and I've heard of several parking lot robbery's.

They've definitely lost control to the street punks from DC and PG but there isn't much they can do. You can't run them out or tell 'em stay away without risking Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson & company descending on Waldorf!

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by Kyle955
One of my co-workers had her car stolen while she was at Towne Centre a few months back, and I've heard of several parking lot robbery's.

They've definitely lost control to the street punks from DC and PG but there isn't much they can do. You can't run them out or tell 'em stay away without risking Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson & company descending on Waldorf!

Do you mean the Bowie Towne Center?? If so, I was wondering when the honeymoon would be over. I haven't been there in a while but it sure looked like they had a lot of security presence in the parking lots.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by cattitude

Do you mean the Bowie Towne Center?? If so, I was wondering when the honeymoon would be over. I haven't been there in a while but it sure looked like they had a lot of security presence in the parking lots.
No! I was referring to St. Charles. The one in Waldorf.

Haven't heard anything about or used the Bowie Mall.

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Originally posted by jetmonkey
Bowie Towne Center has the same thugs they all do. I was driving the strip there to get to a parking space and this group of four thugged-out jerks walked v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y across the street in front of me one at a time of course, spaced out like they were the Beatles of street crime. I desperately wanted to stab them with my garden fork, but heaven forbid I violate the civil right of urban punks to piss me off.

I'd suggest a very dull butter knife. That's my weapon of choice; it violates the civil rights of no one!

mrs potts

It is unfortunate that St. Charles Towne Center has turned out to be a gang hangout. I remember the big celebration when Hecht's opened because it was the first escalator in the county. It don't believe that the blame is completely on gangs from PG and DC. When I was in high school, there were many gangs such as the "mafioso", "daisey boys", etc. I believe that the mall has to take a step towards 'real' security rather than hiring 'rent a cops'. Parents also need to know where their children are....of course it would be nice if there were alternative places for kids to hang out. For example, a YMCA or a community center....maybe that is a thought for another thread.

I avoid the mall, between the traffic and the crime -- it is better to buy online or at "The Village" in Gettysburg. If you haven't been there yet, you should go ... it is really nice.

:cheesy:

H

Heretic

I was there last year when a small gang fight broke out, bout 8 people in all. No weapons were whipped out thankfully, the people arround looked very nervous though.

K

Kizzy

I listen to the scanner, and the police are ALWAYS at that mall. I remember when Waldorf was nothing but trees, now it is becoming P.G. County Part II. I lived just around the corner from that Mall in a very nice townhouse, and I sold it because of all the thugs. :barf:

tater

I wouldn't go in there with anything less than a couple of starving Rots, an UZI, and a Rambo knife. (Even then, I would hit Lone Star on the way in and avoid the Food court).... Sheeeeesh, it's like Gettysburg up there :eek:

watercolor

yeah yeah
I have not had nor seen any problems there. So I agree with Jet, that its just the young adult "packs" but I have never gotten any problems with anyone.

tater

Oops.... my fault.... I could've sworn they've had several shooting/stabbings there over the last year or so. I'm sure those kids are just mis-understood though :wink:

Cletus_Vandam

This post is irronic

It's crazy that soooo many people outthere are complaining about the mall and the punks and trash that hang out and harass everyone.

I posted a question a few weeks ago wondering if anyone had ever applied for their concealed carry permit (I miss-spelled concealed though-cocealed) in Maryland. I mentioned the increasing crime in southern Maryland and the fact that I did not feel comfortable walking the parking lot of the mall after dusk. Low and behold I get a reply from "soul4sale" telling me how rediculous I am for wanting to protect myslef leagally. It obvious to me that the police and mall security (is that an oxymoron??) isn't going to do anything about protecting me....