Animal Control Regulations

spinner

I've just had a visit from animal contol to my grooming shop for my annual inspection and she dropped off a new copy of the regulations. As of this year I have to have a license [no big deal] but I also learned that anyone selling animals or in the animal industry has to have a license and be inspected. There are a bunch of regulations concerning puppies and kittens, something I was glad to see. Apparently this is an effort to help stem the uncontroled breeding and selling of puppies and kittens in the area.
Maybe this has been discussed here before but I was wondering if you all knew about the new regulations and how you felt about them. I would think the rescues would welcome them. I was surprised to learn it covers all animals, fowl and livestock included.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I've just had a visit from animal contol to my grooming shop for my annual inspection and she dropped off a new copy of the regulations. As of this year I have to have a license [no big deal] but I also learned that anyone selling animals or in the animal industry has to have a license and be inspected. There are a bunch of regulations concerning puppies and kittens, something I was glad to see. Apparently this is an effort to help stem the uncontroled breeding and selling of puppies and kittens in the area.

Maybe this has been discussed here before but I was wondering if you all knew about the new regulations and how you felt about them. I would think the rescues would welcome them. I was surprised to learn it covers all animals, fowl and livestock included.

I think it's excellent! :clap:

donbarzini

It's a great idea. My only concern is with the increase in regulatory requirements, did they increase the amount of inspectors proportionately? Otherwise, it's just eyewash.

SoftballCrazy

What county are the regs for?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/emergencycomm/docs/AnimalControlRegulations.pdf

§212.7 LICENSING/FEES

A. Commercial Animal Establishment Licensing. No person, partnership, or corporation shall operate a commercial animal establishment without first obtaining a commercial animal establishment license in compliance with this Section. License applications shall be accompanied by written verification from St. Mary’s County Government that the applicant
complies with the St. Mary’s County Zoning Ordinance as amended from time to time. Applicant must apply through Animal Control for inspection prior to opening of business.

(1) No fee shall be required of any government operated zoological park.

(2) All animals offered for sale by a commercial animal establishment must be examined by a Maryland licensed veterinarian within the last three (3) months prior to sale.
(a) Any animal under veterinarian treatment may not be offered for sale without written release from the veterinarian.

(b) Any owner or employee of a commercial animal establishment who knows of or should have known of any animal defect or illness shall make a purchaser aware of this information in writing prior to sale.

(3) Records must be maintained for a period of one (1) year for any animal presented for sale. Records shall contain the following but are not limited to:

(a) Animal Description - breed, sex, color, and age.

(b) The origin of purchase will include the supplier and the date of receipt.

(c) Medical records and any required treatment program.

(4) Every facility regulated by these Regulations shall be considered a separate enterprise requiring an individual license.

(5) The license period shall run for one year from the date of issuance. Renewal applications for licenses shall be made 30 days prior to expiration of said license. The license fee shall be $50.00 with a $200.00 penalty for noncompliance.

(6) Every Commercial Animal Establishment must undergo a bi-annual inspection by Animal Control.

This is good stuff if they enforce it!

spinner

One of the interesting things she told me was even if the sellers are from another county they have to have a St. Mary's license and be inspected by St. Mary's animal control.
As much as I don't like any more government regulations I welcome this one. I cringe every time I go through Charlotte Hall and see those people selling puppies out of the horse trailer on the side of the road.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
One of the interesting things she told me was even if the sellers are from another county they have to have a St. Mary's license and be inspected by St. Mary's animal control.
As much as I don't like any more government regulations I welcome this one. I cringe every time I go through Charlotte Hall and see those people selling puppies out of the horse trailer on the side of the road.

I guess this will apply to the Amish as well. :shrug:

spinner

It applies to every one, Amish and Mennonite also. Animal control had already been to several farms in our area.

S

stardog770

It applies to every one, Amish and Mennonite also. Animal control had already been to several farms in our area.

I wonder if they (animal control) has ever been to the one that is always in the Md Independent with alist of pups for sale.Last week it was tiny Poms.
Does not have a phone # just directions.I heard it was amish.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!

:thewave::yay: