Employment Question

Danny

How close is the closest mall to Lexington Park.  My wife has been a retail manager for 4 years now and is starting to look for employment.  She doesn't necessarily want to stay in retail forever so any kind of suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks Danny

Warren76

geekboy,

That depends upond what Danny wants to shop for at St. Charles Towne Plaza in Waldorf.  Sure, that 1,000,000 sqare-foot, 200 store mall does not have the same caliber, in terms of quality shopping, like Tysons Corner Center or Anaapolis Mall, but it's an okay mall for families to shop and hang out.

What do you consider as "good malls"?

Warren76

jaybeeztoo,

Good point you presented about the possibility of Danny's wife finding
employment with a defense contractor.  Indeed, there are many contractors supporting both the Naval Air Warfare Center (at Patuxent River) and the Naval Electronics Test and Evaluation Facility (in St. Inigoes).

But there's one major catch - for her to attain employment with such a company, she would already have to have an active security clearance.  And, if she doesn't already have one, it will take between 6 months to 2 years to get one! :(

She would not necessarily have to already have an active security clearance to get hired at St. Inigoes.  I personally know of plenty of folks who have accepted jobs down there from the 'outside' (non government/contractor) and the wheels are then put in motion for a clearance.  Certainly some positions will require a security clearance, but many do not.

geekboy

Some contractors say a security clearance is required because otherwise they have to pay for the investigation, they are just trying to save a buck. I believe it costs upwards of $2000 for the investigation.  

But they can do a quick background check and issue an interm security clearance if required.  

I would even suggest government, there are branches on base that are always hiring.  Its almost like a revolving door, start, get experience, move on for much higher pay somewhere else...

Danny

Thanks for all the good info.  Is there any way for her to look into jobs with contractors from here in PA.  Is there a website or anyway to contact them.  And if so which ones do you recommend her looking into.  She has had a security clearance in the past but I am not sure ow long they are good for.  Thanks alot, Danny

Danny,
you are on one of the best websites now for job openings in the local area.  Check out the link to employment.  Many employers use it and based on the response my company got from a posting, many prospective employees use it as well.  Most of the openings will allow for a resume to be electronically submitted, which is a great convenience for both parties.  Good luck.

geekboy

look for the websites for Dyncorp, Raytheon, BAE, EMA, DCS, Northrop Grumman, Boeing, Lockheed Martin and Im sure there are others.  You might also check washingtonjobs.com and americasjobbank.com

Dyncorp is probably the largest on base but this is just a guess.  

Confidential is good for 15 years, Secret 10, and Top Secret either 5 or 7 can't remember.  Most jobs on base that require one require Secret.  

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I have worked for Defence Contractors since 1992 and still do not have any clearance, never any need for one.

PmoneyandTT

Waldorf mall is great - it has the basic stores - Old navy, Lerners, Gap, Hechts JC Pennys - If you can't find what you want then maybe down south isn't for you.
I have been to Tysons - Annapolis mall - really nice malls in other states.

But really - I don't believe in paying high prices for clothes - Your investing
in a object that depriate as soon as you buy it..

In the financial world - investing in clothes to wear isn't going to make
you rich - So the nice size mall in Waldorf suits me just fine.

geekboy

The reason I dont like the Waldorf mall has nothing to do with not having pricy stores, it just doesnt seem to have anything but clothing stores and the inside part makes me think of a prison its so narrow.  

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Danny said:
Thanks for all the good info.  Is there any way for her to look into jobs with contractors from here in PA.  Is there a website or anyway to contact them.  And if so which ones do you recommend her looking into.  She has had a security clearance in the past but I am not sure ow long they are good for.  Thanks alot, Danny
Look at the topbar on these pages and you will see "EMPLOYMENT". SOMD.com links to many of the contractors via that page.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Ken King said:
Look at the topbar on these pages and you will see "EMPLOYMENT". SOMD.com links to many of the contractors via that page.
Sure hope she found a job by now, been awhile.

RodRugg

I went to the Waldorf mall one time when my grandma hit a scratch-off and it was nice. My uncle Stanley worked there but now that's over. He got a job during Christmas stocking shelves at Spencers. On his break he fired a crossbow at some kid at Cinnabon and got into big trouble over that. He got arrested and put in jail. He had to quit his job because the judge said he couldn't come within 1000 feet of a Cinnabon for 5 years. My dad used to get so mad since everytime we went back to Kentucky he had to drive off the shoulder to get far enough from the Cinnabon at the rest stop. One time he hit a log and bented his rim. Anyways, I would stay away from working at stores that sell crossbows or any other launching stuff because of the temptation. Also, stay away from J. C. Penny because they are against the 1st Commandment.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
RodRugg said:
I went to the Waldorf mall one time when my grandma hit a scratch-off and it was nice. My uncle Stanley worked there but now that's over. He got a job during Christmas stocking shelves at Spencers. On his break he fired a crossbow at some kid at Cinnabon and got into big trouble over that. He got arrested and put in jail. He had to quit his job because the judge said he couldn't come within 1000 feet of a Cinnabon for 5 years. My dad used to get so mad since everytime we went back to Kentucky he had to drive off the shoulder to get far enough from the Cinnabon at the rest stop. One time he hit a log and bented his rim. Anyways, I would stay away from working at stores that sell crossbows or any other launching stuff because of the temptation. Also, stay away from J. C. Penny because they are against the 1st Commandment.
:love: