Limbaugh Brain Fart...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...this is patently an idiotic thing to say.

http://drudgereport.com/flash6r.htm

I agree that McNabb is over rated but it isn't because of some media desire to see a black QB do well. The NFL, like all pro leagues, is about personalities and performance (just like talk radio and entertainment in general, duh). They CAN'T make him play better or worse.

McNabb is a stud. Makes a ton of money. He's been in the last two NFC Championship games and he's got a stupid Chunky Soup commercial just like a bunch of other guys. BFD. Conspiracy? Didn't win it all? First man to NOT make the Super Bowl because of a bad game? How many QB's, good ones of any color, haven't made it yet?

Hello Rush, ever heard of Doug Williams? Won a Super Bowl.

Steve McNair? Absolute warrior, been to the Super Bowl.

Warren Moon, most pro passing yards all time.

Media help them read a defense or something?

Clinton made a stupid joke about Janet Reno and John Conyers way back in the day and Limbaugh was all over Slick Willie for making a dumb joke with baseless racial overtones.

So now Rush, take your medicine. You made a stupid sports comment with baseless racial overtones. You gotta be able to take what you dish out.

Stupid.

What is the difference in what he said and what ALL the sports writers I have heard of writing that Anna Korn. sucks at tennis and the only reason she is a star is because of her (supposed - I don't see it) sex appeal? Nothing. He is right. The media attention paid to McNabb is way out of proportion to his playing abilities. You don't see this much attention being paid to Heath Schuler do you?

willie

Originally posted by huntr1
What is the difference in what he said and what ALL the sports writers I have heard of writing that Anna Korn. sucks at tennis and the only reason she is a star is because of her (supposed - I don't see it) sex appeal? Nothing. He is right. The media attention paid to McNabb is way out of proportion to his playing abilities. You don't see this much attention being paid to Heath Schuler do you?
:cheers:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
OK...

...call me dense. What's the punch line?

Heath Schuler...Donovan McNabb???

No, wait! I get it! You'd take Schuler over McNabb, right? No, no. That's not even remotely funny.

I don't get it. Anna, individual sport, hasn't done squat. What was said about her race?

TripleJ

Re: OK...

Originally posted by Larry Gude

No, wait! I get it! You'd take Schuler over McNabb, right? No, no. That's not even remotely funny.

I don't get it. Anna, individual sport, hasn't done squat. What was said about her race?
only a racist would try to make that out to be some sort of racist coment?:cheers:

Re: OK...

Originally posted by Larry Gude

Nothing racist about his statement. He was blasting the media, not McNabb. Yes, McNabb is a much better quarterback than Schuler, but he is not even close to as good as Warren Moon. All I, and Rush, was saying is that if he had been white, he would not get as much media attention as he does.
Nothing was said about Anna's race. Reread what I wrote the first time and pay attention this time, and you will see that. What I said was that all the writers agree that she is not nearly as good a tennis player as her fame would lead you to believe. She is so famous because she has a great deal of sex appeal.
Thus, neither Donovan nor Anna have the talent to justify their level of stardom, but because of public "perception" (for lack of a better word), they are famous beyond thier for reasons other than athletic ability.

T.Rally

Limbaugh should have been smart enough to know that every move he made was going to be under the microscope. Right or wrong he should have known better. Let's not even get into Mcnabb's 51.1 passer rating after four games. The worst part is Limbaugh had to go running his mouth right before the Redskins have to play the Eagles. Mcnabb will probably through for 500 yards this week.

TripleJ

Originally posted by T.Rally
Limbaugh should have been smart enough to know that every move he made was going to be under the microscope. Right or wrong he should have known better. Let's not even get into Mcnabb's 51.1 passer rating after four games. The worst part is Limbaugh had to go running his mouth right before the Redskins have to play the Eagles. Mcnabb will probably through for 500 yards this week.
McNabb will throw four interceptions and be sacked five times:cheers:

SmallTown

Football season!
Well, obviously we can't listen to anything huntr1 says... I mean, anyone who doesn't see anna's sex appeal has issues...

:biggrin:

T.Rally

Originally posted by SmallTown
Well, obviously we can't listen to anything huntr1 says... I mean, anyone who doesn't see anna's sex appeal has issues...
Is she just not the hottest thing since sliced bread or what?

Originally posted by SmallTown

Hey, If I'm gonna fantasize about someone (other than my wife), it will be someone as unrealistic as Barbi, so I choose The Barbi Twins

Larry Gude

Strung Out
huntr...

...we're gonna have to disagree and I did read your post. You read mine?

I didn't say "Limbaugh makes racist comments". All I said was 'racial overtones' and that it was patently stupid to do so. Rush didn't say 'the media pumps up McNabb because he is handsome or left handed or tall' he used race to make a point I suppose he thought was legit. It makes NO sense. It is an idiotic thing to say.

If the logic were true it is the same as saying people DON'T listen to his radio show because they hate him. It's just not the case. He sinks or swims based on his talent. As does McNabb. As does Anna.

I think you and Rush have some kind of McNabb phobia. Look at all the attention Jake Plummer gets. How many NFC Championship games he play in??? Doug Flutie has been a media darling for what, 200 years now. He's done...? You guys could just say you're wrong about this black media preference crap. It is all about personality. The league PUSHES stars. McNabb, based on his performance, is an elite player. Hell, check a fantasy league. He is usually gone in the first round.

You brought up Anna and her appeal in a conversation about race, not me. Perhaps Anna could be be used as an example of media preference if there were a race issue, but there isn't, right? To somehow argue her undeserved, as you see it, popularity is based on attractiveness to the media would only be relevent here if you and Rush were arguing McNabb gets a break because he is attractive.

Frankly, the only name I ever hear in tennis is who's winning and who's in the finals and that's not Anna. Donovan on the other hand...

The media is not capable of pumping up Anna nor Donovan. THEY have to make Sports Center because of what they do on the field or court. Nobody is pushing Kordell Stewart as a great QB, of any color BECAUSE of his performance. He used to get the Donovan/Jake/Couch treatment. He sunk NO MATTER what the media thinks.

It amazes me that a simple issue can be seen in so many ways.

Limbaugh said McNabb gets media push BECAUSE he is black.

It's not true. It's a stupid thing to say.

You hear what Limbaugh said?

Ponytail

Re: Re: OK...

Originally posted by huntr1
Nothing racist about his statement. He was blasting the media, not McNabb. Yes, McNabb is a much better quarterback than Schuler, but he is not even close to as good as Warren Moon. All I, and Rush, was saying is that if he had been white, he would not get as much media attention as he does.
Nothing was said about Anna's race. Reread what I wrote the first time and pay attention this time, and you will see that. What I said was that all the writers agree that she is not nearly as good a tennis player as her fame would lead you to believe. She is so famous because she has a great deal of sex appeal.
Thus, neither Donovan nor Anna have the talent to justify their level of stardom, but because of public "perception" (for lack of a better word), they are famous beyond thier for reasons other than athletic ability.

I'm a diehard Eagles fan. and agree with you 100%. Though, this being a tough year so far for the Eagles, the rest of Philly supporters, and Limbaugh haters, are stretching to make a case, or simply, just another controversial story.

Where's Marge Schott when ya need her?

B

Bruzilla

I agree with Smalltown. :) Go Anna!

I think there's some validity to Limbaugh's comment. Everybody keeps referring to McNabb in today's terms, but he was one of the first black quarterbacks and I think the media did go easy on him. As a lifelong fan of the greatest football team on Earth, the Pittsburgh Steelers, I saw the same thing with Kordell Stewart when he first cam aboard. All that reporters focused on was how great a feat it was for a black quarterback to make it into the NFL and not how bad the sucked.

I also see Limbaugh's comments about media bias in the way that the media covers the hiring of new coaches. If a black coach gets hired it's all because the team is promoting peace, love, and harmony. If they hire a white coach there's an immediate investigation into how many black candidates were interviewed and an in-depth analysis of why they weren't considered. The justification for this view is that since most teams are comprised of black players, there should be more black coaches. The fact that there is a very disproportinate number of black players to white players never gets a mention. You gotta wonder why.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Man...

...comments about everything but the issue.

I am a huge Limbaugh fan and he has done more to get people to think about politics in practical terms in the last 15 years than any other single person in the media.

He got people to sit up and say 'Hey! That's not right! I know better!" He told people they were not alone in hearing BS out there.

The single greatest indicator of how effective he has been in helping sort out the truth about domestic and world events is how much he is loathed by the left, and they listen anyway because he is usually right. But, he might be the only person on the face of the planet they hate more than W.

That said, because of what I see as his great success, seeking the truth, not in spite of it, he does not get a free pass.

He is a great football fan and football observer and he has way more insightful things to say than some dim witted race/media comment.

He was trying to spice things up which is why he is (was) on TV and instead said something unworthy of himself.

He would have stirred things up just fine and had some fun with it by simply saying "Donovan McNabb is over rated! Without that D we'd never hear of him!" That's something you can stand by and even say to the guys face all in good fun. Now, we're talking football, the beer flows and everybody has a ball arguing over who's better than who.

What we got was "Hi Donovan! Rush Limbaugh here. You know, the only reason we even know who you are is because you are black..." Silence...What?

What's next? Limbaugh gonna say "Ya know Justice Thomas, the only reason you got the job is because you are black..."

It instantly insults everything Thomas (and McNabb) ever did, ever sacrificed and ever accomplished on his own to be in position to succeed.

Crap.

B

Bruzilla

Why do you think his comment was dim witted? I think there may be some validity to it. Like I said, Kordell Stewart was always played up to the hilt by the media even though the fans were calling for his head. Same deal with McNabb when he started out.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Bruz...

...I don't know how else to say this. Vrai says I don't communicate worth a damn!

Kordell is a perfect example of what I am talking about. Yes, he was promoted as the great "Slash". Was it because he was black? Hell no. Was there some wishing for him to do well 'because' he is black on the part of some in the media? Sure, on some level, I guess but he was not an exciting player and he did not make Sports Center highlight after highlight 'because' he is black.

Steeler fans gave him every chance they could stand, not because of the color of his skin but because they wanted him, THEIR QB, to do well.

There is no amount of hoping or prodding any media can do to have made Kordell Stewart the one and only starting QB for so many years. Neil O'Donnel maybe? Greatest Super Bowl choke in the history of mankind. Because he was white? Silly.

Look how fast Tommy Maddox became the man and Kordell got packed off to the highest bidder. Kordell get fired because he is black? Tommy a job because he is white? Tom is better, by far, than Kordell but Kordell was about the best the Steelers could do until Maddox, lucky to get him BTW, came along. You don't just put an add in the paper "WANTED: Terry Bradshaw" and he shows up.

The NFL is, on the field anyway, the great meritocracy in pro sports. This wasn't always so, but you can only ignore superior performance for so long. Coaching is much more subjective and in time, skin color will not be an issue like it seems to still be now. Rush even brought this up and blew it anyway.

All the little white guys (who got beaten to a pulp by the way) the Eagles had to fill the hole last year while McNabb was hurt can't hold a candle to him in terms of talent, speed and ability. He is one of 30 starters in the league and he would start for most every other team. He makes great plays. He is a stud. He is black and that is irrelevent.

It's almost as absurd as Rodman years ago saying that Bird got all the attention BECAUSE he is white. Rod the Odd said if Larry was black he'd be considered just another decent ball player.

What the hell was he watching?

What the hell is Limbaugh watching?

I'll keep trying!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't know jack about football and even less about McNabb's performance. But I did hear Limbaugh's comments several times, in context, and I'm not excited. I didn't see anything racial against McNabb at all - if anything, Rush was pointing out what a bunch of racial crybabies the media and, yes, sports teams are these days. And that's certainly true.

I'm more interested in the drug charges. I didn't get to see or hear those transactions firsthand, like I did with the McNabb comments. Plus that, Rush isn't coming forward to say the charges are BS. He's hedging.

Curiouser and curiouser.....