Fishing on PAX This Weekend

zoomzoom

I havent been down to PAX since the hurricane and was wondering if anyone else has been on the river side near the golf course and the O Club? Is it still pretty intact?

Thanks

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I'm at Cedar Point every day and the river side is okay. The seawall and fishing pier on the bay side got hammered but folk still fish near the creek openings.

Capt Brady

Cedar Point Rip has sublegal stripers breaking nearly everyday, and occassionally a group of bigger ones will find their way there too. Very reliable ,this time of year.

If you can tear yourself away from stripers for awhile, the white perch up in the creeks off the Pax are hot, hot hot right now. Beetle spins or Bushwackers on light spinning gear.

Z

zuchick

Originally posted by Capt Brady
Cedar Point Rip has sublegal stripers breaking nearly everyday, and occassionally a group of bigger ones will find their way there too. Very reliable ,this time of year.

If you can tear yourself away from stripers for awhile, the white perch up in the creeks off the Pax are hot, hot hot right now. Beetle spins or Bushwackers on light spinning gear.

On the road between Leonardtown and Hollywood, can't remember what it is, there is a small bridge with a small creek runnin through it. on the right side of the road going towards Hollywood the creek makes a small swampy area.. But I used to fish off that small bridge and have caught some very large pickerel up to 25" long there.

Capt Brady

That is news to me, tho I admit I never tried to fish there.

Another place known to have chain pickeral is the old piece of St Andrew's Church Rd near the transfer station. That is the upper part of the St Mary's River watershed.

Z

zuchick

That is news to me, tho I admit I never tried to fish there.

Another place known to have chain pickeral is the old piece of St Andrew's Church Rd near the transfer station. That is the upper part of the St Mary's River watershed.

Another bridge is just outside Leonardtown going down Rt 5.. There is a T in the road where the bridge is.. Though I would catch Pickerel there, few were larger then 16".. But I have seen some large fish there.

Capt Brady

You know if we're going to converse about fishing holes, it might be helpful if you were to get a St Mary's road or topographic map.

Z

zuchick

You know if we're going to converse about fishing holes, it might be helpful if you were to get a St Mary's road or topographic map.

It ain't that there are too many places in St Mary's County that is not owned and posted.. But I do know that while I was up there, there was a small lake just above Hollywood along 235 North on the right side of the road that ain't got nothing in it.. But going North where just outside of Leonardtown a couple miles above where you tun off to St Clemments Shores there is a an old farmhouse on the right side of the road that has a pretty good size pond. Caught a 21-1/2" Small Mouth out of that pond years ago and received a State Citation and a Patch. But I'm not much for fishing in Pons or lakes.. Kinda fond of running water. But I would dare say that there are record Pickerel and Small Mouth Bass in the tiny creeks throughout St Mary's County and in the streams not much more the 5' to 10' wide..

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by zuchick
But going North where just outside of Leonardtown a couple miles above where you tun off to St Clemments Shores there is a an old farmhouse on the right side of the road that has a pretty good size pond. Caught a 21-1/2" Small Mouth out of that pond years ago and received a State Citation and a Patch.
Sounds like the pond on DeLozier's farm. I don't do much freshwater fishing but there are some nice "holes" if you get off the beaten path.

A good link for topographic maps with roads and aerial photos is http://terraserver-usa.com/ you can click right into an area and really define where you are talking about.

Z

zuchick

Originally posted by Ken King
Sounds like the pond on DeLozier's farm. I don't do much freshwater fishing but there are some nice "holes" if you get off the beaten path.

A good link for topographic maps with roads and aerial photos is http://terraserver-usa.com/ you can click right into an area and really define where you are talking about.

Not sure who the farm belonged to, but as best I can remember they had a store and sold farm impliments I think.

D

dems4me

Hey -- is this a private lake or pond? Me and a friend are looking for a lake or pond that we can fish but we keep getting kicked off of people's properties, etc... Is there any out there that we can get permission to fish at (catch and release)? Does anyone know where we can go with permission? Is the pond on Delouzier (sp?) farm open to the public? Getting desperate for good fishing spots (new to the sport) in southern maryland and its too cold to take the boat out. Any advice woudl be greatly appreciated - especially the stuff about the big bass pond. Thanks!:jet:

D

dems4me

thanks -- arn't they closed in the winter time? Gilber Run (Wheatley Lake) is a park and is close din the winter. Have you ever caught any really big fish there? What kind of fish do they have? thanks!!!!!:wink:

Capt Brady

St Mary's Lake is regulated by the State Park Office at Point Lookout.

Call them for days open and hours that the Lake is open.

301-872-4342

D

dems4me

tHANKS! What have you been able to catch in there? Is anything bitting in there this time of year?

Capt Brady

On warm days you could get chain pickeral, depending on the water temperature. This lake is spring fed as well as fed by the headwaters of the St Mary's River. As such the groundwater seeping into the lake is about 55degs F. If you know where those places are located, catching chain pickeral near them is fairly simple. You need only put a minnow on the bottom.