cat throwing up after shots

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
My indoor only cat has been throwing up since I brought him home from the vet. He received both his 3-year rabies and distemper vaccine, along with some eye drops for a scratched eye. :frown: :playingwithdog:

Is this normal? Neither of my dogs have ever gotten sick after their shots and Timon hasn't received veterinary care in 4 years (since he's indoors), so I'm not sure if this is expected. The vet didn't tell me he'd be sick and of course they're closed. :ohwell:

My indoor only cat has been throwing up since I brought him home from the vet. He received both his 3-year rabies and distemper vaccine, along with some eye drops for a scratched eye. :frown: :playingwithdog:

Is this normal? Neither of my dogs have ever gotten sick after their shots and Timon hasn't received veterinary care in 4 years (since he's indoors), so I'm not sure if this is expected. The vet didn't tell me he'd be sick and of course they're closed. :ohwell:
My sister just went through this w/ her kitten for a week after it's first set of shots. The vet couldn't find a reason for the vomiting so gave her meds for him for the nausea for a few days and it stopped. We've wondered about the shots too.

I know it is after the fact, but we give our dogs Benadryl before they get their shots - it helps with them reacting. If you call the vet beforehand they will tell you how much you can give them... we use the Children's Benadryl. Not sure if you can give a cat Benadryl, I would ask for next time.

It is possible he is having a reaction to not being used to the inoculations.

Hoover said go to PetMD - it is like WebMD for animals.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I know it is after the fact, but we give our dogs Benadryl before they get their shots - it helps with them reacting. If you call the vet beforehand they will tell you how much you can give them... we use the Children's Benadryl. Not sure if you can give a cat Benadryl, I would ask for next time.

It is possible he is having a reaction to not being used to the inoculations.

Hoover said go to PetMD - it is like WebMD for animals.

Thanks so much!

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Check the site of the vaccines...is there a lump? swelling? hot?

I would NOT give him benedryl..cats can react funny to meds.

belvak

Happy Camper

Chasey, we had this happen with one of our cats after her distemper booster. After doing a lot of research online and asking the vet afterward, it seems that they can have a reaction to the distemper booster. Also, if they DO NOT go outside or interact with any other cats, they DO NOT need the distemper booster. It's just another "money" thing. Ours are no longer getting distemper boosters and are happy and healthy. Hope Timon feels better!!! :huggy: BTW, ours don't get feline leukemia vaccines either. Not necessary since they don't go outdoors or interact with other kitties.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Saved the link in favorites, thanks. All I remembered was that MASH was supposedly better than Waldorf. :shrug:

Anything is better than Waldorf. I've had mixed experiences at MASH, as have friends...but it's only 10 minutes from me so that does count in an extreme emergency.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Chasey,

I'm going to bed. If you need me, call me, I'm pming my home number. Or call Annapolis.

Check his gums..make sure they're pink.

It's most likely the rabies vaccine. Chloe has a bad time with it. She was sick for a few days..barely moved.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Chasey, we had this happen with one of our cats after her distemper booster. After doing a lot of research online and asking the vet afterward, it seems that they can have a reaction to the distemper booster. Also, if they DO NOT go outside or interact with any other cats, they DO NOT need the distemper booster. It's just another "money" thing. Ours are no longer getting distemper boosters and are happy and healthy. Hope Timon feels better!!! :huggy: BTW, ours don't get feline leukemia vaccines either. Not necessary since they don't go outdoors or interact with other kitties.

Thanks for the info. He's scheduled for surgery next week and I think that's why the distemper vaccine was required. I told the vet I didn't want him vaccinated/tested/prevented for anything else (except for rabies) since he doesn't go outside. They were cool with my request.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
BTW, all...he was fine during the late evening and no more incidents this morning. I can tell he's a little "off" though. Maybe soreness in his hind end from the shots? He was eating and drinking without any problem. No temperature that I could tell.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and thoughts!

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
BTW, all...he was fine during the late evening and no more incidents this morning. I can tell he's a little "off" though. Maybe soreness in his hind end from the shots? He was eating and drinking without any problem. No temperature that I could tell.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and thoughts!

I'm glad that he's feeling better for the most part. Any time pets throw up, it's scarey because they can't tell you why. Both our cats are indoor only cats and we've debated whether or not they needed vaccinations or not. We've always gotten them. Do indoor cats really need them since they won't be exposed to the outside world? I don't remember my parents taking our cats to the vets for annual shots and they both lived to be over 20 yrs old. Just curious though.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I'm glad that he's feeling better for the most part. Any time pets throw up, it's scarey because they can't tell you why. Both our cats are indoor only cats and we've debated whether or not they needed vaccinations or not. We've always gotten them. Do indoor cats really need them since they won't be exposed to the outside world? I don't remember my parents taking our cats to the vets for annual shots and they both lived to be over 20 yrs old. Just curious though.

Annual shots aren't necessary. They've just changed the protocol to every three years (after the initial kitten shots). Feline Leukemia is NOT necessary unless you plan to let them outside or have exposure to other cats/kittens. The three-year rabies vaccine has some issues with site sarcomas and the one-year rabies vaccine is better. There's tons of information out on the internet. It's best to read and determine what works for your situation.

Read here: The Vaccination Conundrum - Cats - Approved Vaccine Protocols for Cats

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Annual shots aren't necessary. They've just changed the protocol to every three years (after the initial kitten shots). Feline Leukemia is NOT necessary unless you plan to let them outside or have exposure to other cats/kittens. The three-year rabies vaccine has some issues with site sarcomas and the one-year rabies vaccine is better. There's tons of information out on the internet. It's best to read and determine what works for your situation.

Read here: The Vaccination Conundrum - Cats - Approved Vaccine Protocols for Cats

Thanks for the info! I probably misspoke when I said they got shots yearly. I take them in for yearly check-up and it seems like they need atleast one shot when we go. I might be wrong though. With them being indoor only, I was just curious if any shots were really neccessary. I want them to be healthy but if the shots are protecting them against things they will never be prone to, I'd rather not get it. Although they don't get too stressed from the car ride to the vet and being there, they definately don't feel "safe" being out of the house. They hide in the carriers and you literally have to dump them to get them out. :lol: