The vulgarity and...

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
The film's producers, Zadan and Meron, acknowledge their liberal politics, as do the stars of the television movie, James Brolin and Judy Davis. But Meron tells the TIMES: "This is not a vendetta, this is not revenge. It is about telling a good story in our honest sort of way."

Produced by acknowledged liberals and starring Brolin, married to Barbra Streisand, that bastion of Democratic liberal fairness? It's not a vendetta? :killingme

Please... :duh:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Remember "That's My Bush"? I just don't see how they can do stuff like that. Then liberals wonder why conservatives hate them.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I don't hate...

...liberals. I just don't want to believe that they truly feel the way they express themselves.

Last night Chris Mathews, who worked for and so loved Tip O'Neil mostly because he worked Reagan over so well as House Speaker, had an army of people denouncing this movie as patently false. They pointed out all the times Reagan was publicly praised for having gays work on his staff (go ahead...) back in the 70's.

Over at the DU there is a thread rambling on about the use of the word 'evil'. The posters position is that intelligent people would never use such a word and the right only uses it to close off debate. Another person states flatly that the right uses insults instead of debate and the left argues the facts. The names they use over there would get them banned over here and the number one 'policy issue' they support is 'ABB' (anyone but Bush.

Pretty reasonable?

It's like watching a child insist that red is green.

Wes Clark yesterday said, in defense of his Bush admin praising of the last few years that, hey, sometimes Iraq and Iran do the right thing and they should be praised for the good they do and even Republicans should be treated the same way.

Even Republicans?

Dean calls President Bush 'the Enemy' in a public debate.

Democrats galore run around calling Iraq a miserable defeat and failure all while some 5 years later in Bosnia, which they consider a success (I guess for Clarks sake) we are still keeping order with our troops in country.

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
It is about telling a good story in our honest sort of way

In "liberal speak" that means "it is a lie and if we tell it long enough and loud enough, it feels like the truth to us..."

Funny how Hollyweird types can get away with re-telling history and shaping it into their own vision - not how it really went down...

:barf: :barf: :barf:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yep...

...look at "Primary Colors".

Hollywood made a movie in blatant support of a sitting President.

They made a movie that exactly fit the image Carville and Company were painting.

It's just sex.

He's a good man with human flaws.

His wife dearly loves him and is crushed by his antics but fully supports him anyway because they put the people ahead of themselves.

He is to ethical and would never resort to dirty tricks (the Larry Hagmen/gay/outing character).

Once we get past the few, minor charcter flaws, we have an honest man who only cares about the people and we're damn lucky to have such a great guy.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
What confuses me is this. If they focus on all the strange things in the Reagan administration, the forgetfulness, the astrologers etc. and fail to mention ANYTHING good that came out of it, then how do they explain the fact that RR was reelected by a large margin? Do they just dismiss it as the stupidity of the vast majority of the American citizens? Do they pretend that the administration, or perhaps just Nancy was so slick that they managed to keep it all hidden? If so, how is it that they know about this stuff to make a movie about it? SOME of it came out after the fact, especially the Altzheimer's, but there were signs of that for a few years b/f he left office and the astrology stuff was known about early on.

I guess they assume that the American public was just mesmorized like snakes in a basket.:rolleyes:

Dymphna

Re: Yep...

Originally posted by Larry Gude
...look at "Primary Colors".

Hollywood made a movie in blatant support of a sitting President.

They made a movie that exactly fit the image Carville and Company were painting.

:confused: I take it you never actually saw that movie. It painted Clinton as a liar, a cheat and a boob. In the end even his most ardenant supporter committed suicide rather than acknowledge that her hero was such a sleeze.

B

Bruzilla

You forget that Libs "just don't get it" when it comes to what most Americans think. I was watching O'Reilly talking to the latest Fox News contributor, Geraldine Ferraro, and she claimed that she is a moderate... this after stoutly defending Ted Kennedy for his latest remarks about Bush being a liar. :confused:

I was hoping that O'Reilly would remind her of her response to questions as to why she hadn't declared her financial stake in her husband's company when she filed her financial disclosure when running for VP. She said that she hadn't reported it because "I only have one share of stock in the company." She never bothered to mention that there were only two shares of stock... her and her husband's. Yeah... there's the person you want determining what the truth is.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Lil Bunny...

I did see the movie. I gnashed my teeth through the whole thing.

We must have seen different versions. The chick killed herself because of her role in thinking about outing Hagmen. They painted her anguish at how things got out of control (a la Vince Foster) not out of any disgust with the candidate. Bill, er, Travolta, was to big a man to do that in the end.

Guess it's all in the eye of the beholder!

Maybe I need to watch it again? Argh.

Voter2002

Do they just dismiss it as the stupidity of the vast majority of the American citizens?

Yes - it's the typical liberal way...If you can't explain it by using facts, make up your own "facts."

Voter2002

:burning: This whole thing reeks of a giant liberal publicity movie saying "...gee...look at how stupid Republicans are..."

Dymphna

Re: Lil Bunny...

Guess it's all in the eye of the beholder!

:shrug: I guess so. I'm a Dem, although not a supporter of Clinton. If that's how Hollywood portrays him when they like him, God help those they hate.

I thought that movie was a pretty interesting take on how the candidate smoozed his way into power, yet behind the scenes there was a lot of manipulation.

It's been a long time but as I remember it, the Kathy Bates character went to Travolta and said she'd found out that he manipulated the paternity tests on the babysitter's kid. She didn't believe he was the father in the case, but the fact that he felt the need to commit fraud in relation to the test spoke for itself. As I remember, she commited suicide shortly thereafter because she had always held the candidate on a pedestal and he represented her ideals. My understanding was she commited suicide because she discovered that all her ideals were based on lies.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Fascinating!!!

We should watch it together!

I'll be jumping up and down..."See! See! They are trying to paint him in a positive light!" You'll be going..."Nu uh! THAT is a negative light!!!"

Travolta didn't manipulate the tests (as I remember it), he lied about it. She found out he was da da after he told everybody otherwise and everyone was relieved. The whole premise is classic Carville/Begalla: See! I'm not the dad! That's a good thing!

Excuse me! You just did a paternity test because you had sex with a minor you idiot!

The suicide, I'm pretty sure, was her being so upset about the whole Hagmen/gay/outing thing, her sticking the pistol in the guys face to get some information. She couldn't take it any more, how close they'd come to doing it, just like we are presented Fosters death; pressure, not a problem with who is creating the pressure.

I distinctly remember her KNOWING what a scoundrel he was and being upset that he still couldn't behave himself, a kind of 'just what I suspected' reaction when the truth came out.

Anyhow, now I wanna see it again!

Another thing that was done for Bill was burying the Brodderick story until after the impeachemnt hearings. W's DWI and his fathers 'un-indicted' co-conspirator thing both came out on election eves, like Arnie groping stories, dirty pool.

Re: Fascinating!!!

We should watch it together!

Travolta didn't manipulate the tests (as I remember it), he lied about it. She found out he was da da after he told everybody otherwise and everyone was relieved. The whole premise is classic Carville/Begalla: See! I'm not the dad! That's a good thing!
He manipulated the tests in that he had someone elses blood substituted for his own. She knew because she had been reviewing his medical files for years and noticed a discrepancy, i.e. traces of some VD thing not in the paternity test results, but in his other blood work results from the past.

Dymphna

Larry,
It's been 5 yrs since I saw the movie, so I freely admit I forget all the details. But it does stick in my mind that the Bates character said something like you just did:

Excuse me! You just did a paternity test because you had sex with a minor you idiot!

I remember something about her confronting someone with a gun to find out the truth about something, and it seems to me that too much truth about the man she thought was such an ideal leader is what pushed her over the edge.

I agree that the beginning of the movie showed the Clinton character as all goodness and light, but most of the rest showed how it was really all :bs:

As far as watching the movie again, as I remember, the cinematic quality of it was crap, but it is hard to argue about it with you unless it is fresh in my mind.

Dymphna

Originally posted by huntr1
He manipulated the tests in that he had someone elses blood substituted for his own. She knew because she had been reviewing his medical files for years and noticed a discrepancy, i.e. traces of some VD thing not in the paternity test results, but in his other blood work results from the past.

It wasn't VD, that would be a whole 'nother scandal. It had something to do with what WAS there, some medication or antibodies that Travolta's character shouldn't have had, but his "uncle" did.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What got me was when they showed a conversation Clinton...uh, I mean Travolta...had with a female staff member (?), then later a tape was made public with the conversation edited so that it seemed like Travolta and the staffer were having an affair. Just like the Dems said happened with the Gennifer Flowers tape! :yikes: