Living in a Yurt

JoeMac

I wasn't sure where to put this so this will have to do. Yurts have low impact on the earth and are considered "green" living

I was looking at what it would take to set up a yurt to live in. A yurt is a round structure with lattice walls and a fabric membrane, there is plenty of good information out there if you don't know what they are.

Does anyone know of the local permitting for one, the deck that it sits on would be a permanent structure, but the yurt itself would be non-permanent.

I was wondering if anybody around here has stayed in one, would consider living in one, with running water and electricity of course and if anyone knows of a yurt nearby to look at.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What about when I start dating, and bring home some guy who wants to take me away to Burma and live in a yurt??

(I didn't realize a yurt was a real thing - I thought they made it up. :lol:)

Barnacle

What about when I start dating, and bring home some guy who wants to take me away to Burma and live in a yurt??

Great commercial...although I do get sick of hearing it on the radio.

SamSpade

I like that commercial, although I can't quite put a face on the voices. I usually see Lena Headey (Sarah Connor Chronicles) playing the mom.

I hate to admit it, but I learned what a yurt was from Bob the Builder.

Cowgirl

I think yurts are awesome!!! :clap: I've often thought it would be cool to live in one if we ever built a house....as long as it wasn't winter. :lol:

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
I wasn't sure where to put this so this will have to do. Yurts have low impact on the earth and are considered "green" living

I was looking at what it would take to set up a yurt to live in. A yurt is a round structure with lattice walls and a fabric membrane, there is plenty of good information out there if you don't know what they are.

Does anyone know of the local permitting for one, the deck that it sits on would be a permanent structure, but the yurt itself would be non-permanent.

I was wondering if anybody around here has stayed in one, would consider living in one, with running water and electricity of course and if anyone knows of a yurt nearby to look at.

I have a few questions for you on a yurt.

How thermally efficient are such a domicile?

What is the resale value of a yurt? Is it like a tent or old pop-up camper whose initial value can be tremendous and they they are worth nothing after the first night that they are slept in.

Would it be econmically viable to buy a couple of acres and build a yurt park where yurt owners could be charged rent much like a trailer park or campground?

spinner

yurts

From Netflix I rented a movie called "The Cave of the Yellow Dog" it's a Mongolian movie with subtitles, the family lives in a yurt. Yurts are actually made out of wool felt, they are used by nomadic tribes and they break down to be moved. I am always amazed when I've seen them. They are more like houses then tents. I believe there will be one set up at the Maryland Sheep and Wool festival at the Howard County fairgrounds the first full weekend in May.

JoeMac

What is the resale value of a yurt? Is it like a tent or old pop-up camper whose initial value can be tremendous and they they are worth nothing after the first night that they are slept in.

Would it be econmically viable to buy a couple of acres and build a yurt park where yurt owners could be charged rent much like a trailer park or campground?

Thermal efficiency? is how easily they are heated or cooled or retain their heat? I have no first hand experience but I have read they retain heat well, with an insulation package and they ventilate easily, the natural movement of air allows it to move in through the doors and windows and out through an opening dome.

I would think that if you found the right buyer you could get most of the money out of it. Maybe someone who was considering one to live in while they built their house.

I have read about campgrounds that have yurts set up as rentals.

dustin

UAIOE
I think they would make good cottages... at the current prices, after peicing them together though to make a decent sized house you might as well build a traditional one though. also the roof looks like a PITA to reshingle (if thats even the method)

Cowgirl

I think they would make good cottages... at the current prices, after peicing them together though to make a decent sized house you might as well build a traditional one though. also the roof looks like a PITA to reshingle (if thats even the method)

I was thinking they'd be great for a vacation home, or maybe retirement village! The pictures remind me a little of the Flintstones or something. :lol:

dustin

UAIOE
I was thinking they'd be great for a vacation home, or maybe retirement village! The pictures remind me a little of the Flintstones or something. :lol:
Good idea on the retirement community!

:lol: i would have an excuse to run outside and yell "Yabba Dabba Do!"

I think yurts are awesome!!! :clap: I've often thought it would be cool to live in one if we ever built a house....as long as it wasn't winter. :lol:

That is why they are used by Nomads and not Eskimos.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Go rent one at the Solomons Rec Center.. in February.

I'm sure that would answer ALL your questions.. and the Rec Center has had them for YEARS, and have them set up as permanent install..