County Employee Overtime

B

Bruzilla

I was listening to the local news on STAR 98.3 this morning, and the news guy was talking about how the St. Mary's County government was applying to FEMA for reimbursement of costs the county incurred during the recent hurricane. The county is requesting FEMA to pay 75% of 1.8 million dollars that they say the storm cost the county. One of those charges is $325,000.00 to cover overtime costs that government employees charged during a four-day period. Also, on days that the government was closed, any government worker who was required to work was entitled to time-and-a-half for their efforts.

I know I'm going to take heat for this, but I'm a bit dismayed by this. After the storm I saw lots of people out in our neighborhood with chainsaws, rakes, hoists, etc., cleaning up their houses and yards and then making their way through the neighborhood helping others. I used my propane grill to make coffee and hot meals for people who couldn't cook anything. I let friends who didn't have any power stay at my house once we got our power back on, and I know of lots of other people who did similar things and more. But I don't remember seeing anyone charging anyone for this support that was well above and beyond the normal call of being a neighbor.

Basically, when the going gets tough we all need to suck it up a bit and put out extra effort for the benefit of all. Now I'm hearing that government employees, who would have been working anyway, are getting time-and-a-half for their efforts, and other employees who put in any extra effort are getting overtime pay. I doubt any private business owners are getting overtime pay reimbursements for having to spend hours cleaning up their businesses, nor will the neighbors get reimbursed for the hours they spent helping others.

I hope that all of the government employees who whine about their situation remember this the next time they think that they're being short-changed.

BullDawg

Duck Molester
Makes sense to me. You won't get heat here. I was at work at 7:00 the next morning. I had to cut 2 trees out w/ a chainsaw on the highway just to get though. It's called sucking it up...

Warron

I don't know about the county government, but in the federal government it is illegal for the government to recieve free services. You can't offer to work for free and your management can't require it. It is a law that came about do to numerous cases of forced overtime without pay. I agree that it does not make sense in every case, but this is how it currently is.

K

Kizzy

The Governor gave an emergency release declaration, most counties abide by the declaration. The extra pay is additional compensation for the emergency workers who have to remain at work. Most county and state workers earn considerably less than private industry and the Federal Government. What chaps my azz is when a non-emergency employee reports to work on a declared closure and claims the extra pay. I’m sure that if they reviewed the overtime monies, they would find many who jumped on the opportunity to earn additional pay at both the state and county level. During Isabel, many emergency workers were required to work 12-16 hour shifts. You only got the extra pay IF you worked, only emergency employees are required to work. And yes they can force overtime when your an emegency employee.

B

Bruzilla

I'm not a federal employee, but I do work with many who are and salaried employees have to work as long as they are needed to work. They can be compensated with time off, but that is not a requirement.

I thought the police and other key county employees were considered "salaried" employees since they get a fixed salary each year.

K

Kizzy

They get a salary for 40 hours of work a week, anything over that is overtime.

Anyone who would work for a straight salary is asking to be taken advantage of.

SurfaceTension

Originally posted by Bruzilla
...After the storm I saw lots of people out in our neighborhood with chainsaws, rakes, hoists, etc., cleaning up their houses and yards...

Those required to work didn't have this option - they had to leave their damaged homes and neighborhoods for another time, so that the "essential services" could be provided for others. You can argue what services are "essential", but to the guys called out they didn't have a choice.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Bruzilla, Just wanted to say that I'm glad you would leave your family in a time of need and go to your job (minimal paying as it is) but do the work for free. I think the county needs more employees like you.