Refurb systems

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
My daughter (unbeknownst to her, as of yet) is getting a new computer for Christmas. She's 5 and doesn't need something that is capable of developing war plans; just something that would run her games and allow me to connect her to the web (if I can figure out how with my current satellite set-up).

I was thinking about getting her a Dell Refurb b/c they are warranted like their other computers and don't have the unnecessary bells and whistles that she really doesn't need.

Any experience with buying a refurb (from Dell or any other company)?

Thanks, in advance! :smile:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by crabcake
My daughter (unbeknownst to her, as of yet) is getting a new computer for Christmas. She's 5 and doesn't need something that is capable of developing war plans; just something that would run her games and allow me to connect her to the web (if I can figure out how with my current satellite set-up).

I was thinking about getting her a Dell Refurb b/c they are warranted like their other computers and don't have the unnecessary bells and whistles that she really doesn't need.

Any experience with buying a refurb (from Dell or any other company)?

Thanks, in advance! :smile:

Keep an eye on www.hot-deals.org. It's not refurbs... but you can get brand new systems for $500 or so if you're patient. There's actually a couple good ones on there now.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
I got a new system for my 5 year old last year from walmart.com. Came without a monitor (used the old one) and without windoze, <ahem>found<ahem> a copy. $199.00!!!

Here's one for $568 with OS

Works just great on all her games, just have to remember to make backups of all the CDs, little fingers tend to mess them up!

crabcake

would I be a bad mommy if I gave her my P-4 1.7 gb 80 gig HD compaq and bought myself this for Christmas? :biggrin:

Heck no! She's 5!!! Like she will care that her new computer is "used". She'll just be glad she can run her games on it. Give her the old one and some new games, and she'll be stoked.

crabcake

only thing i don't like is that the laptop doesn't have as big a hard drive ... I NEED more hard drive ... it's like cow bell! :biggrin:

Nanny Pam

C.C.

Why not just go ahead and get the child an a$$-kicken' computer now, with ALL the bells & whistles. Then you won't have to up-grade in 2 years. :dosman:

When my daughter was 5 (a long time ago, I might add) I got her anything she wanted, and she turned out just fine.
:angel:

crabcake

Re: C.C.

Originally posted by Nanny Pam
Why not just go ahead and get the child an a$$-kicken' computer now, with ALL the bells & whistles. Then you won't have to up-grade in 2 years. :dosman:

When my daughter was 5 (a long time ago, I might add) I got her anything she wanted, and she turned out just fine.
:angel:

b/c my computer is two years old and is STILL an azz-kickin' system ... and I really really really want a laptop. Maybe i'll put it on my list and my mommy will buy it for me! :biggrin:

Elle

Happy Camper!
The day after thanksgiving Wal-Mart usually has a computer (not a great model but perfect for what you want, if not more - last year it was an HP and I think that's what they still carry) that is usually like $500. Just keep an eye on sales flyers.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I've got an HP at home. Biggest POS paperweight I've ever had, except for the home-brewed computer someone talked me into getting one time. HP should stick to making printers IMHO.

Dude, for my next PC, I'm getting a Dell. :cool:

Last edited:

mainman

Set Trippin
Originally posted by jazz lady
I've got an HP at home. Biggest POS paperweight I've ever had, except for the home-brewed computer my husband talked me into getting one time. HP should stick to making printers IMHO.

I builds my own... That way I get to pick whats in it.. :cool:

K

Kizzy

CC,

Get yourself a new lap top and give her your desktop. My hubby and I do the same thing. I got a new computer last Christmas and gave my old one to my oldest and his old one went to my nephew. Now, my hubby is in the market for a new lap top and will give his old one to my oldest and the oldest will give his computer to my youngest.

K

Kizzy

Originally posted by jazz lady
I've got an HP at home. Biggest POS paperweight I've ever had, except for the home-brewed computer my husband talked me into getting one time. HP should stick to making printers IMHO.

I've owned 3 HP's and I've never had a problem. I think it is a good value for the money. But, I will say that the newer ones are not built like the older ones. They use to give you several expansion slots, now you get the big goose egg.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by IM4Change
I've owned 3 HP's and I've never had a problem. I think it is a good value for the money. But, I will say that the newer ones are not built like the older ones. They use to give you several expansion slots, now you get the big goose egg.

Well, I bought the thing because I needed a new PC right then since some consulting work came my way, but I should have waited the couple of weeks to get a better machine from Dell.

I have a great older scanner (HP ScanJet 5p) that I can't hook up because there is no expansion slot for the card.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by crabcake
I just got a flyer in the mail from Dell. Looks like they're offering up to $200 off of their refurbished machines through November. Web site is dell4me.com/outletspecials

Last edited:

crabcake

:killingme I love it! Does one of those drawer thingys that come out (like the cup holder) store the ashtray? :confused: