Cherry eye ?

Rane

Lookin for Margaritaville
Has anyone had a dog with cherry eye ? about an hour ago I noticed my beagle pup's eye looked half closed and the other is now doing the same, called my vet, described it, they say watch him closely overnight ( he is exhibiting no symptoms ... he is actually running thru the house playing with our cat in no apparent pain or discomfort ) I am the one who is bothered by this, so I hop online and do a search ... seems like what he is has is the beginnings of cherry eye . :frown: I'll be taking him to our vet in the morning to find out for sure but was just wondering if anyone has heard of this ??? Thanks in advance for any info .

mainman

Set Trippin
Hey Rane......

Originally posted by Rane
Has anyone had a dog with cherry eye ? about an hour ago I noticed my beagle pup's eye looked half closed and the other is now doing the same, called my vet, described it, they say watch him closely overnight ( he is exhibiting no symptoms ... he is actually running thru the house playing with our cat in no apparent pain or discomfort ) I am the one who is bothered by this, so I hop online and do a search ... seems like what he is has is the beginnings of cherry eye . :frown: I'll be taking him to our vet in the morning to find out for sure but was just wondering if anyone has heard of this ??? Thanks in advance for any info .
lookie here

Rane

Thanks for that website MM , I found a similar one with a photo of cherry eye earlier when I got off the phone with my vet , thats why I was guessing thats what my pup has ... especially since it says beagles are prone to it ...just wanted to hear from anyone who may have had a dog with the condition . His eye isn't really red as in the photo but similar in appearance . This is gonna be a long night :frown:

K

Kizzy

I have no advice, but I do want to wish you and the pup luck. :huggy:

Rane

Thank you MM, IM4 and appyday for the well wishes, my pooch is on the mend, turns out it was a scratch on his eye ( courtesy of one of his wonderful feline siblings ) not cherry eye , thank goodness !! Took him to 3 Notch Vet Hosp in Hollywood ... wonderful place , they gave me an appt on short notice this morning and took great care of him , he didn't appreciate the taking of the temp or the eye exam but ... antibiotic ointment 2x a day for a week and he should be good as new ! :smile:

Rane

Originally posted by appyday
great...I was thinking it was more like an injury or infection as cherry eye does not seem to be painful (no swelling and squinting) but rather a cosmetic problem...glad all is ok..make sure you clip the cat nails regularly..I can do that here in the shop for $5 I am close to three notch too...good luck....happy Thanksgiving.......................appyday

Happy Thanksgiving to you too appyday , I am so relieved it wasn't something more serious, we've always had healthy pets and it scared me to death to see his eye like it was tuesday night and wednesday morning ,my son is calling him Joe ( Frazier ) I do need to clip the cats nails more often now, thank you for the offer but I can actually clip them myself, been doing it since they were kittens so they are used to it although they certainly don't like it . Now that I think about it, I am amazed he hasnt gotten scratched till now , he bobs and weaves constantly when they are swatting at him , we call him the terrorist , he loves to chase them and always wants to play when they just want to be lazy felines :smile: we tell them he is their personal trainer :biggrin: