Tolbunt Polish Chickens - Hen Wanted

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I have a Tolbunt Polish Rooster. I am looking for a Tolbunt Polish Hen to breed him with. If anyone has any for sale, free lease, or rent please contact me. I was told I have the Cadillac of chicken facilities lol, so she would get a decent place to stay with unlimited food and water 24/7 (have heated waterers for Winter).

Here's a picture of my Tolbunt Polish Rooster - he USED to be mostly black and now he's changed to mostly white .... both pictures show the dramatic change, but since the 2nd picture was taken he has turned even whiter - I'll have to take another picture of him to show the completion of the dramatic transformation.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
whoops pictures here?

I don't see the pictures attached - I'll try again .........

I have a Tolbunt Polish Rooster. I am looking for a Tolbunt Polish Hen to breed him with. If anyone has any for sale, free lease, or rent please contact me. I was told I have the Cadillac of chicken facilities lol, so she would get a decent place to stay with unlimited food and water 24/7 (have heated waterers for Winter).

Here's a picture of my Tolbunt Polish Rooster - he USED to be mostly black and now he's changed to mostly white .... both pictures show the dramatic change, but since the 2nd picture was taken he has turned even whiter - I'll have to take another picture of him to show the completion of the dramatic transformation.

Attachments

• PrinceBlack.jpg
    PrinceBlack.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 168
  • PrinceChanging.jpg
    PrinceChanging.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 225

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
I don't see the pictures attached - I'll try again .........

He doesn't look like a Tolbunt. Very pretty though. Are you sure he is a Tolbunt?

Good luck looking for a hen. I have been looking for a pair for a long time now. There is a lady on e-bay that is selling Tolbunt eggs.

Attachments

• Tolbunt.jpg
    Tolbunt.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 422
  • tolbunt_025.jpg
    tolbunt_025.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 561
Last edited:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
The college student in MD who sold him to me said he was a "dark tolbunt" and I needed to breed him with a "light tolbunt". Well now that he has changed colors so dramatically he looks like a "light tolbunt" LOL - he has way too much white now it seems. I'll get another picture of him to show.

Here is the standard for the Polish Tolbunt. Still can't find any for sale but if I do, I will let you know.

Polish Breeders Club - Tolbunt

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
The college student in MD who sold him to me said he was a "dark tolbunt" and I needed to breed him with a "light tolbunt". Well now that he has changed colors so dramatically he looks like a "light tolbunt" LOL - he has way too much white now it seems. I'll get another picture of him to show.

Whatever he is, he sure is pretty. Very unique. Odd that his feathers have changed so much. Very cool. There is a very nice lady that breeds Tolbunts on the forums. She may have an idea about his color. Hopefully she reads this thread.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Here's what he looks like NOW -almost all white when he used to be almost all black! How can that be?

Whatever he is, he sure is pretty. Very unique. Odd that his feathers have changed so much. Very cool. There is a very nice lady that breeds Tolbunts on the forums. She may have an idea about his color. Hopefully she reads this thread.

Attachments

• PrinceOct2009.jpg
    PrinceOct2009.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 203

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
done - I am hoping this Roo and his colors are not a lost cause. I was really hoping to help preserve the color by helping with breeding. The gene pool for this color is VERY small, so there has to be careful consideration given to how these breeding pairs are selected.

PM Colliegal She raises these types of chickens..:popcorn:

Colliegal

Polish Rooster

Hi Lisa, It was nice to hear from you again. Thanks for sending me a PM.

Your roo is so flashy! He is certainly pure Polish but, unfortunately, not of pure tolbunt coloring. That being said, I would venture to say that one of his parents must have been tolbunt, or both parents part tolbunt. You mentioned that he has changed colors from dark to light quite dramatically. That is always the case with tolbunts. That, plus the presence of three main colors, is how I know he is certainly part tolbunt.

If I owned this roo and could not find a pure tolbunt hen, I would choose a very good quality gold laced Polish hen with which to breed him. Place any roo chicks in pet homes and keep the offspring pullets to grow out. Choose the pullets that have the best mix of the three colors: red, black and white and breed them back to a pure tolbunt rooster. Roosters in any breed are ALWAYS easier to find than hens. :) Again, place roos in pet homes and keep the pullets with the best coloring and breed them back to their father (the pure tolbunt rooster). The resulting chicks will then begin, if you're lucky, to look much more like tolbunts.

All things considered, this could be good for the breed. Tolbunts, as you know, have a very limited gene pool. The introduction of other colors into tolbunts will be the only way this breed color can survive. Now, purists will hate me for saying that, but what good is a color line that has poor fertility and decreased vigor? Anyone involved in genetics knows that to improve these two issues you must introduce genetic diversity! So, I say, go for it, Lisa. :)

I do breed tolbunts and have a flock of about 11 of these beautiful birds. I am not at the point, though, that I will let any hens go. I'm sorry! Next summer, I may have an extra roo that will need to be placed. In the meantime, buy the very best gold laced Polish hen you can afford and start breeding! If I can spare a roo next summer, I'll be glad to help you out with your resulting chicks.

Good luck!

- Gretchen

PS - you are welcome to come and visit my farm and see my flock of tolbunts. Just drop me a line. Busterduck is coming out tomorrow afternoon, if you'd like to join us. :)

Here is a pic of some of my tolbunts getting ready for bed! I breed both smooth and frizzle tolbunts.

28234_byc_-_tolbunts_lrg.jpg

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
WOW B eautiful !!!!!!! thanks so much - it's YOU Gretchen - I sent you email not long ago asking about coming out LOL - even talked to your buddy in Upper Marlboro too as I had not heard from you.

I have to work tomorrow so I'd have to opt for a Saturday if that's okay?

I happen to have 2 gold laced hens, 1 of which is of better quality than the other, so I will pair them up - probably in the Spring? Seems that it would be hard for a hen to keep eggs warm enough in the Winter?

Hi Lisa, It was nice to hear from you again. Thanks for sending me a PM.

Your roo is so flashy! He is certainly pure Polish but, unfortunately, not of pure tolbunt coloring. That being said, I would venture to say that one of his parents must have been tolbunt, or both parents part tolbunt. You mentioned that he has changed colors from dark to light quite dramatically. That is always the case with tolbunts. That, plus the presence of three main colors, is how I know he is certainly part tolbunt.

If I owned this roo and could not find a pure tolbunt hen, I would choose a very good quality gold laced Polish hen with which to breed him. Place any roo chicks in pet homes and keep the offspring pullets to grow out. Choose the pullets that have the best mix of the three colors: red, black and white and breed them back to a pure tolbunt rooster. Roosters in any breed are ALWAYS easier to find than hens. :) Again, place roos in pet homes and keep the pullets with the best coloring and breed them back to their father (the pure tolbunt rooster). The resulting chicks will then begin, if you're lucky, to look much more like tolbunts.

All things considered, this could be good for the breed. Tolbunts, as you know, have a very limited gene pool. The introduction of other colors into tolbunts will be the only way this breed color can survive. Now, purists will hate me for saying that, but what good is a color line that has poor fertility and decreased vigor? Anyone involved in genetics knows that to improve these two issues you must introduce genetic diversity! So, I say, go for it, Lisa. :)

I do breed tolbunts and have a flock of about 11 of these beautiful birds. I am not at the point, though, that I will let any hens go. I'm sorry! Next summer, I may have an extra roo that will need to be placed. In the meantime, buy the very best gold laced Polish hen you can afford and start breeding! If I can spare a roo next summer, I'll be glad to help you out with your resulting chicks.

Good luck!

- Gretchen

PS - you are welcome to come and visit my farm and see my flock of tolbunts. Just drop me a line. Busterduck is coming out tomorrow afternoon, if you'd like to join us. :)

Here is a pic of some of my tolbunts getting ready for bed! I breed both smooth and frizzle tolbunts.

28234_byc_-_tolbunts_lrg.jpg

Cowgirl

I happen to have 2 gold laced hens, 1 of which is of better quality than the other, so I will pair them up - probably in the Spring? Seems that it would be hard for a hen to keep eggs warm enough in the Winter?

I have an incubator. You mail me the eggs and I'll try to hatch some for ya. :whistle: The chicks would be laying by spring.

Colliegal

I think we can figure out some way to get the eggs hatched. If your girls are laying, then take advantage of it. Just remember, if they are with a rooster currently, any eggs they lay for the next three weeks could be fertilized by that rooster. So, put the hens with the tolbunt and wait for three weeks before you start collecting eggs to hatch. Do you have photos of your two girls? If so, could you post them so I can see them? Thanks!

Saturday it is forecasted to thunderstorm - in October! So, we can't get together then. Maybe another day?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Due to being picked at, I removed the Silver Laced Polish Rooster from their pen. He is a timid rooster, has NEVER tried to come after me ever, so he's a keeper <G>. He is beautiful when he has all his feathers but I am unsure if he successfully mates with the hens? He seems quite awkward at it, but maybe it's just his size that makes it hard for him to stay mounted on the polish hens since they are so much smaller?

Anywho, there has been no rooster in that pen for at least 4 weeks - maybe more. I'll add the Tolbunt Roo to the Polish pen (he's in with some assorted banties right now sparring with that Show Quality? Blue Polish Bantam I acquired from the same person (that I am trying to place). I'm not into the Bantams and am placing several to avoid picking issues (them being picked). I have a lady who previously agreed to take the 2 Silkie hens that are broody. Unfortunately my polish hens are not laying right now :-( but maybe they will start again soon? If they do I will isolate the Golden Laced hen to get her eggs and hook up with Cowgirl if I don't have an incubator by then. Did your polish stop laying?

I think we can figure out some way to get the eggs hatched. If your girls are laying, then take advantage of it. Just remember, if they are with a rooster currently, any eggs they lay for the next three weeks could be fertilized by that rooster. So, put the hens with the tolbunt and wait for three weeks before you start collecting eggs to hatch. Do you have photos of your two girls? If so, could you post them so I can see them? Thanks!

Saturday it is forecasted to thunderstorm - in October! So, we can't get together then. Maybe another day?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
He's very SWEET - no attacking from him either, so he's a keeper. I just can't seem to get his scales on his legs to grow in better - I assume he had mites at some point, and I've treated him multiple times (different products too), and his lower leg scales are STILL sticking up - now what?

WOW. He sure is strange.

Colliegal

He's very SWEET - no attacking from him either, so he's a keeper. I just can't seem to get his scales on his legs to grow in better - I assume he had mites at some point, and I've treated him multiple times (different products too), and his lower leg scales are STILL sticking up - now what?

The absolutely BEST product for getting rid of any sort of mite on a chicken is Frontline SPRAY. I don't use the topical drops. It is expensive :( but worth it in the long run. Get the bird's feet wet with it every day for three days. Then, wait about 10 days and repeat the three day treatment. That should do it. For routine treatment, I spray a small squirt of Frontline under the wings of my chickens and on the back of the neck once every three months. They never get any mites anymore, even if they are in the environment. Good luck!

idiganthro

The picture of the Tolbunts is amazing! They are beautiful. I'm still learning about chickens in general. This thread has been very educational! Thanks...

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Brinsea Mini Incubator

Well let's make this thread even more educational. I discovered yesterday that the BackYard Chicken forum folks seem to recommend (per Busterduck) the Brinsea incubators. So now I am looking into the Brinsea Mini since I really only need to incubate a few eggs at a time.

Anyone here have experience with the Brinsea Mini incubator and want to comment? I hear it has humidity factored in, which can really make a big difference in successful hatching rates.

The picture of the Tolbunts is amazing! They are beautiful. I'm still learning about chickens in general. This thread has been very educational! Thanks...

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
Well let's make this thread even more educational. I discovered yesterday that the BackYard Chicken forum folks seem to recommend (per Busterduck) the Brinsea incubators. So now I am looking into the Brinsea Mini since I really only need to incubate a few eggs at a time.

Anyone here have experience with the Brinsea Mini incubator and want to comment? I hear it has humidity factored in, which can really make a big difference in successful hatching rates.

I hope to get mine delivered soon. If you would like, you can come and take a look at it when I get it. I figure I will run a few test eggs in it and see how it does. Now, just have to see if any of my hens are still laying once I get it.

There is one fellow on the BYC that bought eggs from Trader Joes and hatched them out. I about died! Couldn't believe store bought eggs would hatch after being refrigerated.

Also, will now be searching for excellent quality golden lace hens in case you know of anyone who may have some.