Help!

keekee

I have a day old chick that I just brought inside and put in the brooder. I don't want it to be alone in there... does anyone have a chick that's only a few days old that they would be willing to sell? Stauffer's has week old chicks, but I think I need one younger.

Thanks!!!

Cowgirl

Did your chickens hatch it? If so, how come you didn't leave it with Momma?

And I think a week old chick would do fine with it. There might be some pecking t first, but it should be ok.

keekee

It was hatched by a chicken, yes, but not mine. I am an amatuer, and I'm praying that I did the right thing. We are chicken-sitting. I thought this would be a bad time of year for a little chick to be born and left in the coop... I thought it would be safer and warmer in the brooder. There is no rooster to protect it - the rooster was killed by a fox about a week ago. I made the decision to bring it home. :frown: Did I do the wrong thing?

It's so tiny - I was worried that a week-old chick would peck it... and possibly kill it.

keekee

Should I take it back and put it back in the barn with it's momma? There are cats around, and obviously foxes too...

jedi2814

Should I take it back and put it back in the barn with it's momma? There are cats around, and obviously foxes too...

Keep it warm and give it starter feed and water and it will be fine by itself. Warmth and light are the most important part. The cats and the fox will find it easy pickens!

keekee

Keep it warm and give it starter feed and water and it will be fine by itself. Warmth and light are the most important part. The cats and the fox will find it easy pickens!

Oh thank you! I did go to Stauffers today & got some chick feed. I have a blanket in the brooder, and I put some feed on the blanket, and it's been pecking at the feed. I put marbles in the water, and dipped it's beak in the water a couple of times, bit it didn't seem to drink. I have a red heat lamp going too. Thanks for the reply, I was very torn as to whether I should leave it with momma....

J

jaybeeztoo

I used to have a few chickens and the fox came through and killed all the hens. One had been sitting on a nest so I brought the eggs in and left them under a lamp. Wouldn't you know, one of those suckers hatched.

I left him/her in a shoe box under the lamp with food and water and within a few days it seemed safe enough to handle. It was my pocket buddy for a while (to keep warm) until it got bigger. It even went on a camping trip with me :lmao: (I had a heat pad for it).

So, I would say they can survive alone, but I could have been overly attentive. I think this little chick thought I was it's momma. :killingme

Cowgirl

Oh thank you! I did go to Stauffers today & got some chick feed. I have a blanket in the brooder, and I put some feed on the blanket, and it's been pecking at the feed. I put marbles in the water, and dipped it's beak in the water a couple of times, bit it didn't seem to drink. I have a red heat lamp going too. Thanks for the reply, I was very torn as to whether I should leave it with momma....

I would have left it with momma. She would keep it plenty warm, that's her job. And mother hens are very protective. As long as the chickens are locked in a coop at night, it'll be fine. You could also have put it in a crate or dog cage with momma.

I'd still get it friends. Chickens like company. Have you tried calling the chickens' owner to see what he/she wants you to do with it?

keekee

I'd still get it friends. Chickens like company. Have you tried calling the chickens' owner to see what he/she wants you to do with it?

Yes, it's actually my parents'. They said to do what I thought was best. They are also worried about the foxes. They are overrun with them. The foxes have killed a hen and the rooster in broad daylight.

Cowgirl

Yes, it's actually my parents'. They said to do what I thought was best. They are also worried about the foxes.

:yay:

I really would consider finding at least 1 more chick to keep it company. I've found with my own chickens that they tend to stick with the group of chickens they were raised with. I bought a group of 5 week old chicks and the rest of mine were only 8 weeks old but they don't associate at all. Chicken cliques. :lol:

keekee

:yay:

I really would consider finding at least 1 more chick to keep it company. I've found with my own chickens that they tend to stick with the group of chickens they were raised with. I bought a group of 5 week old chicks and the rest of mine were only 8 weeks old but they don't associate at all. Chicken cliques. :lol:

Yep, that's what I'm trying to do... find another chick. I might have to go ahead with the week old chick from Stauffer's. I was hoping someone on here might have one that's newly hatched. I have been worrying so much about this chick. When I got mine, they all snuggled together in the brooder, and this little guy is all alone in there.:bawl: