Horse Has Itchy Belly

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
Every summer my mare gets "itchy belly" disease...! She will lay on her belly on the ground and rock back and forth to the point where she rubs the hair off in a stripe all the way down her belly midline.

She's been wormed, shots, everything...I'm treating it with iodine shampoo approx. every 2 days, and just started Fungisol cream because it seems so dry and uncomfortable. This week there's some new gray hairless areas on her chest at the base of the neck where the sweat collects, so I'm thinking it's some kind of fungus – no scabs, so I don't think it's rainrot.

Any suggestions or similar experiences?

SxyPrincess

Hhhhmmm...interesting, for sure. Maybe you could try using cocoa butter, or witch hazel. Both moisturize pretty well, and it might help with the itch.

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
Hey, I used this stuff called "Fungasol" cream that I bought at Southern States for the past few weeks...the rash is almost completely healed! It has lanolin, tea tree oil, and vitamin E in it... Worked GREAT!

I'm gonna try the witch hazel thing, too, if it starts to act up again. Thanks for your suggestion, Sexy!

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Originally posted by Sierra39
Hey, I used this stuff called "Fungasol" cream that I bought at Southern States for the past few weeks...the rash is almost completely healed! It has lanolin, tea tree oil, and vitamin E in it... Worked GREAT!

I'm gonna try the witch hazel thing, too, if it starts to act up again. Thanks for your suggestion, Sexy!

I've heard that long walks on the beach can help a horse with itchy belly, too!
:biggrin:

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
Hey Appy! Good to hear some show news from you! Tell us what classes you showed in! Hope the awning survived the storm...

Yeah, we have those bugs BAD! The problem is, my mare is EXTREMELY sensitive to most fly sprays. I'm using an herbal one now that is one of the few that don't give her horrible hives (in a black bottle, $18, it's "Marigold" something and smells great...) Problem is, I don't think it works as well as the heavy-duty pesticide stuff. Have you tried the "Spot On" repellents? I've been afraid to, since she's so sensitive to topicals...

As of 9/4, her rash is healed and the hair has almost grown back completely... :biggrin: But after the rains last week, a whole new batch of the small biting flies were swarming! Arrrghhh! :burning: