Teens & Drugs

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Here's the scenario:

You know of a 16 year-old (male) who is involved with illegal drugs because you caught him with it. You give the proof to one of his parents, but they don't do anything about it. Personally, if it were my son, I would beat his behind and ask questions later.

Do you think anything else should be done about his activities? Should the other parent be involved? Is it better to stay out of the issue? I just don't want to see him harm himself further. :ohwell:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Chasey_Lane
Here's the scenario:

You know of a 16 year-old (male) who is involved with illegal drugs because you caught him with it. You give the proof to one of his parents, but they don't do anything about it. Personally, if it were my son, I would beat his behind and ask questions later.

Do you think anything else should be done about his activities? Should the other parent be involved? Is it better to stay out of the issue? I just don't want to see him harm himself further. :ohwell:
This is just me, but if I caught a kid doing drugs and his parents didn't seem to care I would call the law. If I caught him on my property I would most certainly call the law. If he was hanging around my kids I would call the law and get a no trespassing warrant issued on him to keep him off my property.

Like you, if it was my kid they would be eating while standing for quite a while and they wouldn't leave the house other then to go to school or somewhere that I took and directly supervised them.

Doing nothing and ignoring the problem won't help, just think about younger kids he could get to try and develop a taste for the drugs. The problem will only grow if you do nothing about it.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Thanks for your help, Ken, but a concern I have is with the other parent. If the knowledgeable parent doesn't care and blew off the situation, why would the other parent give a care?

Guess I wish I didn't know about this. Again, thank you. :cheers:

Grimtooth

Well there will always be 2 kinds of parents those that care and those that cant be bothered..

My folks when I was growing up made it clear that if I ever did drugs, brought any home, brought any friends home with drugs they would

1. hold me for the cops to arrive.
2. Give the drugs to the cops
3. hold my friend for the cops to arrive.

There would be no arguments there would be no paddling etc.

The problem that your facing is this:

you brought the issue to only 1 parent instead of presenting it them both at the same time.

Your best solution overall is to talk to your local Sheriff to get advice. That would be in your best interest. Tell him what you know already and find out what further steps you should take if any. Or if there is anything that they can do. Like a visit to the parents to talk about this before it becomes even more of a problem later on. If you have any kids though I would strongly suggest that you don't allow them contact with the druggie you caught. If your related in any way to the other family thats a whole other problem that you would have to deal with but first things first contact your Sheriff. It doesnt hurt to play it safe since they are trained on the right way to handle things so that you dont get into a bad situation.

You can listen to the Armchair Lawyers via the internet but they wont be there to bail you outta trouble. Go to the experts.
do it the smart way.

Stay safe.

Wherever there is 1 person doing drugs you can bet there is a 2nd one not far away. ( Hey they had to get the drugs from someplace local right..)

Grimtooth....
. . . and behind them came a rider on a pony. Pale Writer: Scribe of the Apocalypse

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Chasey_Lane
Thanks for your help, Ken, but a concern I have is with the other parent. If the knowledgeable parent doesn't care and blew off the situation, why would the other parent give a care?

Guess I wish I didn't know about this. Again, thank you. :cheers:
If both parents are under the same roof it would seem likely that telling one is good enough, unless they have some really wacked out relationship and don't talk to each other. If this is a divorced family you might try telling the other parent, but unsure what if any good it would do.

The key to me is protecting you, your family and your property. Left alone this kid could really do some damaging things that drugs sometimes make users do (selling to support their habit or stealing stuff to trade for the drugs). Call the law, it will at least identify the user and maybe if they catch him holding they can scare him into straightening up his act.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"Chasey" :duh: - what are you supposed to do? I guess you can go all out and parent this kid like he probably needs. :shrug: But I assume you have your own child and are busy trying to keep her out of trouble and raise her right. So how much parenting can you realistically do for someone else's spawn?

Talk to him as much as you can and tell him how uncool drugs are. After that, there's not a whole lot else you can do.

Unosmom

I agree with everyone! Get the Law involved! That way you and yours are fully protected, but at the same time let the kid know that if you catch him on your property, you will call the cops.

If he was mine, he would not be sitting or standing!!!!!! I knock him down and leave him down!