Tornado Siren

royhobie

hobieflyer
Test of the sirens is on Monday for Calvert Cliffs according to the news account I read. SMC uses the sirens to call in the Fire Dept. Rescue folks & ambulance folks. Sirens are fairly old and have been known to stick in the past. However, I think they are trying to replace old with the new. I was at a meeting at the Lexington Park libary when the new "tornado warning siren" went off that they just installed on top of the new Lexington Park Fire House. The siren sounded "exactly" like the beep.. beep... beep sound of a truck backing up. People went to the doors and windows to see what it was. The siren met a tornado was headed our way. Thank goodness it didn't touch down. Otherwise those folks and others would have been killed. This type of siren was not heard two blocks away I was told. Also, folks had no idea what it was used for. Therefore, it was useless. The "old fashioned" tornado sirens in the California Maryland area can hardly be heard during a normal busy day with the typical traffic. Folks have their varous devices bluetooth, music, etc. jammed in their ears. With Sirus and other pay for use stations, local stations are used less and less. This is at a clear and present danger to the hundreds if not thousands of folks who have advanced technology that think it is a good thing.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Test of the sirens is on Monday for Calvert Cliffs according to the news account I read. SMC uses the sirens to call in the Fire Dept. Rescue folks & ambulance folks. Sirens are fairly old and have been known to stick in the past. However, I think they are trying to replace old with the new. I was at a meeting at the Lexington Park libary when the new "tornado warning siren" went off that they just installed on top of the new Lexington Park Fire House. The siren sounded "exactly" like the beep.. beep... beep sound of a truck backing up. People went to the doors and windows to see what it was. The siren met a tornado was headed our way. Thank goodness it didn't touch down. Otherwise those folks and others would have been killed. This type of siren was not heard two blocks away I was told. Also, folks had no idea what it was used for. Therefore, it was useless. The "old fashioned" tornado sirens in the California Maryland area can hardly be heard during a normal busy day with the typical traffic. Folks have their varous devices bluetooth, music, etc. jammed in their ears. With Sirus and other pay for use stations, local stations are used less and less. This is at a clear and present danger to the hundreds if not thousands of folks who have advanced technology that think it is a good thing.
The sirens used to be blown 12 times at noon on the 1st Saturday of the month as a test for the warning system. They were also blown one long time for an ambulance call and 3 shorter times for a fire call. I don't know if the county still does this.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
The fire/rescue sirens only blow for Leonardtown VFD, Ridge VFD, Avenue VFD&RS, Valley Lee VFD&RS and Hollywood VFD.