Wood Pellets & Pricing

Ascwatch

I've bought pellets from Wood Floors Plus in the past. This year they are quoting $3.78 / bag by the ton, plus $25.00 per ton delivery fee.

100% hardwoods
Less than 1% Ash
Less than .5% fines
Less than 300 PPM Sodium

Where are you buying your wood pellets and how much per bag/pallet?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I've bought pellets from Wood Floors Plus in the past. This year they are quoting $3.78 / bag by the ton, plus $25.00 per ton delivery fee.

100% hardwoods
Less than 1% Ash
Less than .5% fines
Less than 300 PPM Sodium

Not from woodfloorsplus their pellets are crap.

I mean they must be, if they were a good product they wouldn't have to come on here and spam a forum and try to get over on advertising costs to sell their crap.

Matter of fact I think I'll buy mine from woodpellets.com since they paid for their advertising.

No Offense..

Oh, and welcome to the forums.

That's very cheap. Lignetics pellets are selling for over $5 a bag, about $250 for a pallet (one ton, 50 bags). Others are selling cheaper, but either too far away (eastern shore) or a brand that I won't use.

Your best pellets are made from hardwood. Really cheap pellets are pine. Lignetics is a mix of mostly hardwood.

Ascwatch

I mean they must be, if they were a good product they wouldn't have to come on here and spam a forum and try to get over on advertising costs to sell their crap.

Matter of fact I think I'll buy mine from woodpellets.com since they paid for their advertising.

No Offense..

Sorry Itsbob, You can't act like a jerk, make an accusation based on an assumption, then say no offense... bless your heart.

My neighbor and I are shopping around for pellets, and I find it remarkable that very few companies advertise their pricing and delivery fees. I was hoping other stove owners would share their sources and save me some time calling for quotes. I also thought it only fair to share my source first.

Ascwatch

Home Depot - Upper Marlboro said they have 17 pallets @ $215.00/ea $75 delivery or you can rent their truck for 75 mins for $19.95. They did not know the brand name or composition of the pellets

Lowes - Bowie has Potomac Pellets (pine) $5.97 / bag, with a $25.00 discount for each ton purchased. Delivery $75.

Sneades Ace Hardware Owings - Hammer Pellets - Reg Price $269.95 On Sale until Sept 15th, 2010. P/U $244.99/ton. Delivered $299.50/ton

Cowgirl

That's very cheap. Lignetics pellets are selling for over $5 a bag, about $250 for a pallet (one ton, 50 bags). Others are selling cheaper, but either too far away (eastern shore) or a brand that I won't use.

Your best pellets are made from hardwood. Really cheap pellets are pine. Lignetics is a mix of mostly hardwood.

I quoted the wrong price in the earlier thread. The cheapest we've found is $218/ton at TSC. They're Carolina brand hardwood pellets, and low ash.

dave1959

100% hardwoods
Less than 1% Ash
Less than .5% fines
Less than 300 PPM Sodium

I just bought 4 tons , I hope they are ok....

dave1959

No Offense..

Why are they crap, Have you used them ???

Woodpellets.com , according to their website, does not deliver to southern Md,

dave1959

I have burned 90% lignetics for the last couple of years.
In the begining they were 100% hardwood and they burned great, I tried some others but always went back to lignetics. Last year and so far this year all I could find is their "blend" of woods. They do not burn any better than the other softwoods and blends that I have tried.
So I went out on a limb and bought greenways from Wood floors plus.
I figure even a cheap 100% hardwood cant we any worse than a "blend" or softwood so they only thing I will do is save money.

Bought the greenways for $189 a ton plus 25 delivery, Still a savings over local prices and got them delivered instead of picking them up...

Only time will tell...

Last edited:

bdsearle

Waiting on new pellet stove

I just bought a Harman P68 from True Value Hardware in LaPlata. I get a free ton with the purchase of the stove and I am buying an additional ton as well. They are bringing the pellets with them when they come to install the stove so there is no delivery charge. Premium Power Pellets $4.58 a bag... comes out to $229 a ton.

Cowgirl

I quoted the wrong price in the earlier thread. The cheapest we've found is $218/ton at TSC. They're Carolina brand hardwood pellets, and low ash.

We split a ton of pellets with my FIL. They were from TSC, but not Carolinas. Not sure exactly what brand it is, but they're the exact same bag that's sold at SOuthern States. We don't like them. They have shorter burn time and are more ashy than the Lignetics we burned last year. We just bought a bag of Power Pellets (?) from Southern States and we're going to see how they burn.

I've used cheap brands, Hamer and whatever Southern States sells, always come back to Lignetics. Least ash, consistent flame (some pellets change flame size from almost going out to a huge flame that makes the chimney thunder and back again).

Robin

Question:
Off topic slightly
When using your wood stove, what is your electric running per month and back up heat gas or oil?

bdsearle

Power Pellets

We split a ton of pellets with my FIL. They were from TSC, but not Carolinas. Not sure exactly what brand it is, but they're the exact same bag that's sold at SOuthern States. We don't like them. They have shorter burn time and are more ashy than the Lignetics we burned last year. We just bought a bag of Power Pellets (?) from Southern States and we're going to see how they burn.

Let me know what you think of the Power Pellets. I have two tons of them right now. I have never tried any other brands since I have only had my stove for about two months. Just curious as to how they compare to other pellets that you have used.

Thanks

foodcritic

Let me know what you think of the Power Pellets. I have two tons of them right now. I have never tried any other brands since I have only had my stove for about two months. Just curious as to how they compare to other pellets that you have used.

Thanks

I have a question. As a wood burner.

1) Is wood your primary source of heat?

2) How many "cords" does a tone of pellets = about.

I would like to go to pellets for the consistent output.

OldHillcrestGuy

I've used cheap brands, Hamer and whatever Southern States sells, always come back to Lignetics. Least ash, consistent flame (some pellets change flame size from almost going out to a huge flame that makes the chimney thunder and back again).

Ive always had better luck with the Hamer's, less ash then the Lignetics. But I havent burned Lignetics in 3 years. I burned Country Boys all last year and will again this year.

Cowgirl

Just an update since we've burned a few types of pellets this year. The pellets we bought from TSC (clear bag, same as Statesman but doesn't say Statesman on it) are AWFUL. Don't waste your money on them. They say low ash, but after burning just one bag of them there's as much ash in the stove as there is after 5 bags of Lignetics. They totally clogged up the stove and caused issues.

Power Pellets are ok, they seemed to burn fine but we only burned a couple of bags.

Lignetics- we're sticking with them from now on. They burn longer and cleaner than any of the other brands. :yay:

Just an update since we've burned a few types of pellets this year. The pellets we bought from TSC (clear bag, same as Statesman but doesn't say Statesman on it) are AWFUL. Don't waste your money on them. They say low ash, but after burning just one bag of them there's as much ash in the stove as there is after 5 bags of Lignetics. They totally clogged up the stove and caused issues.

Power Pellets are ok, they seemed to burn fine but we only burned a couple of bags.

Lignetics- we're sticking with them from now on. They burn longer and cleaner than any of the other brands. :yay:

Just remember, different stove brands burns pellets differently. My Quadra Fire bruns damn near any brand great, some will have more clinkers than others (read below), but it is very tolerant of different brands. Old Hillcrest Guy's stove is picky about pellets and his is a different brand than mine.

Also, Statesman pellets are made by Hamer - and the batches can run different based on what mill they come from, West Va. or Kentucky (I think it is Kentucky, down there somewhere) - and between the plants it depends on what type of wood they are sawing as well.

I use Country Boy pellets and they are from a wood floor manufacturer in Kentucky. The wood is dried and their is no bark because they are sawing up wood floorings. The sawdust goes from the saws directly into the pellet milling machine where they are pressed so the chances of getting impurities in the pellets (that cause clinkers) are slim to none...

Other places like sawmills and pallet manufacturing facilities will run a higher chance of having impunities and inconsistencies between batches of pellets.