How 'Bout Them Skins?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I can't believe you all aren't talking about the Skins' pre-season! Are they looking good or what? Now if they can just keep it up...

I have to admit, I was one of the first ones to criticize the hiring of Spurrier-jerko but he seems to have the stuff. Usually pre-season is incredibly boring but these have been some pretty exciting games. Last night's second half comeback was the stuff of legend - felt sorry for all those people who left at halftime and missed it.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
woooo-hooooo

I loved it...since I work with many Steelers' fans. A win is a win is a win!!! And those Steeler threads are pretty quiet today, huh?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Jeesh! I guess nobody wants to talk about football anymore! :lmao: Don't you people know that you're not allowed to live in St. Mary's County if you're not a Skins fan? :roflmao:

Otter

Nothing to see here
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Jeesh! I guess nobody wants to talk about football anymore! :lmao: Don't you people know that you're not allowed to live in St. Mary's County if you're not a Skins fan? :roflmao:

Whew!!..thought you were talking to me..but I see now you are just addressing the St.Marians..

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
But.... I'm a 49ers fan.....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That's okay, Rose - I was a Broncos fan until they finally won the SuperBowl, then a Packers fan until they won. Figured this year was safe to be a Skins fan...but nooooooo! Now I have to find some other loser team to root for. :lmao: Want me to root for your 'Niners? I seem to have a knack...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Let me tell you what used to irritate me about the Broncos - John Elway! Those buck teeth of his used to make me crazy! He'd choke and throw the ball out into Neverland, then he always looked like he was SMILING!!! :burning: Arrrrrrgh!!! What the hell are YOU smiling about, Bucky!?!

Plus that he looks like Tommy from that old show "Alice". Used to make me insane!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
That's okay, Rose - I was a Broncos fan until they finally won the SuperBowl, then a Packers fan until they won. Figured this year was safe to be a Skins fan...but nooooooo! Now I have to find some other loser team to root for. :lmao: Want me to root for your 'Niners? I seem to have a knack...
Sure thing! I haven't even checked to see how they are doing so far this year, like we are so far into it.... some fan I am.... :biggrin:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
then a Packers fan until they won.

Guess you started disliking the Packers in 1967 right after they won Superbowl I, huh?

I'm waiting until regular season before I even think about actively cheering for the Redskins. So far this year they have been losing when I quit watching the game and I come back later to find out they have won.

Danny

Are you serious?

The first string looked terrible. If you are a real fan then you know that your first string needs alot of work. 97 TOTAL YARDS IN THE FIRST HALF, AGAINST THE FIRST STRING. I have to admit the second half did get interesting and made me stay up to finish watching the game, but if I was a Redskin fan I would be worried about the regular season, when teams keep their first strings in all game.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Sour Grapes Danny?

Preseason...I don't put a whole lot in winning or losing, I think it's a learning experience. But, hey,

WE STILL BEAT THE STEELERS!!!

:cheers: :cheers:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
We Redskins fans are worried. But, we'll be watching because of the coach. For the last 10 years, the Redskins have had a boring coach who couldn't win. Then, last year they had a boring coach who knows how to win and showed signs of turning it around. Now, they have a winning coach who likes to score points, and if he can't create headlines "throwing around the ballpark" then he'll do it with his mouth and his sideline charades. For the first time in 10 years, it's going to be fun to be a Redskins fan again, and all of the fun won't depend on the number of W's. But, this isn't the playoff's, the first half of the schedule isn't going to be easy, and there are 31 other good teams.

Sure, we're worried, but at least it'll be fun!!!

Danny

No, I am not upset. The Steelers first string dominated the skins first string. And your second team played better than Steelers. I like our chances. And you are right Nod. Spurrier is going to bring alot to your team and you gotta love Lavar. That guy can flat out play. (Wish he would take it easier on my team though.) The only thing I am saying is that some of your fans and those commentators I had to listen made it seem like the Redskins are great because they have won all of their preseason games and if I was a skins fan I would be worried by the play of the starters.

bknarw

Attire Monitor
I was in an unusual situation this weekend. My family has supported the Redskins for nearly 60 years, but I grew up in Pittsburgh.
So, I decided to watch as a fan who wants to see how his teams are going to do.
I was very concerned about the Redskins first string; they were obviously no match for the Steelers first string, which looked very good!
And...it's an exhibition game, for heaven's sake. It's not even close to a real game!
Who cares about the exhibition? Who beat who doesn't matter right now. These teams are trying to check players, decide who to cut, refine their systems, etc.
It's like the sportscaster I saw on Monday morning who said..."Well, it wasn't pretty, but we got the 'W'!"
The "W" doesn't mean flip during the preseason!!!

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
HEY!

I have a fever, sore throat and I feel like crap. Let me relish in the cheapness of a preseason win, however it happened. :razz:

I'll argue more strongly later in the season when I have the energy.

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Re: HEY!

Originally posted by cattitude
I have a fever, sore throat and I feel like crap. Let me relish in the cheapness of a preseason win, however it happened. :razz:

I'll argue more strongly later in the season when I have the energy.

Nope...sorry, but you're not allowed.
I, too, feel crappy today, and if I'm going to be miserable, you are too!
:razz:

BTW, now that I've stolen your thunder, I'm keeping it in the barn until I'm ready to give it back.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Crybabies...

I shouldn't have to tell you this but....

Pre-season is merely to get the players into playing...well..other teams so the coaches can see the strengths and weaknesses. Let's call it "extended practice". So far Spurrier is learning that his backup guys are pretty strong and his first-stringers need a little work. It's always been my impression that Spurrier doesn't get stuck on certain players - that he'll play whoever's looking good that week. If you think that DannyWaffle will be THE MAN if he's having stress problems, think again - Spurrier wants to win.

So you're wrong when you say a pre-season win doesn't mean flip. It means a lot in terms of the coaches seeing where the guys stand.

Sorry you're sick, Cat! Hope you're feeling better soon!

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Re: Crybabies...

I shouldn't have to tell you this but....

Pre-season is merely to get the players into playing...well..other teams so the coaches can see the strengths and weaknesses. Let's call it "extended practice". So far Spurrier is learning that his backup guys are pretty strong and his first-stringers need a little work. It's always been my impression that Spurrier doesn't get stuck on certain players - that he'll play whoever's looking good that week. If you think that DannyWaffle will be THE MAN if he's having stress problems, think again - Spurrier wants to win.

So you're wrong when you say a pre-season win doesn't mean flip. It means a lot in terms of the coaches seeing where the guys stand.

You're right, but it means nothing in terms of the standings, playoffs, or Super Bowl.
Some teams have been known to lose all of their preseason games and have a great season. Others win all of their preseason games and have crappy seasons.
In terms of evaluation, a win is a good thing, but it doesn't mean flip in the grand scheme of things.
BTW, Vrai, thanks for the pedantic explanation of football; not bad for a girl!

Last edited:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Re: Crybabies...

If you think that DannyWaffle will be THE MAN

I hear from people that DannyWaffle is really a DannyWiffle (if you get my drift). May explain some things..(yeah, I know, subject of a whole other thread probably).

Thanks for the well wishes. The way I feel now, flowers may be in order in a few days.