Camp Sites

S

ShellyCW

Hi :smile:
My sister, her husband and my 2 young nephews are coming to visit me this summer. They wanted some info. about camp grounds so I searched the web and found:
-Camp Merryelande Vacation Cottages on St. George's Island,
-Take it Easy Campground, in Callaway, MD
-Dennis Point Marina and Campground in Drayden, MD.
-Point Lookout

I've never camped at any of these places. So please tell me which ones are preferable or which ones should be avoided. I really want them to have a good visit. Thanks! :biggrin:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
If they are military, they should have access to the Solomons Annex.

Pete, can you help with that?

BuddyLee

Football addict
point lookout

point lookout is really nice during the summer months. they have many programs at the visitor center for the kids and they also have Fort Lincoln. on the weekends they do tours of the fort. its a nice and interesting place.

be sure to bring some bug spray though!:wink:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Pete
Solomons anex is freaking great if they are military or retired.
What about contractors like me an R's retirement from Civil Service. Do we qualify? Heck, he works over there.

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by ShellyCW
Unfortunately, no Pete.
hmmmm well, I am not sure then. When I first came here I stayed at Solomons for 3 weeks. I am not familiar with the others around here, sorry.

BuddyLee

Football addict
point lookout

Unfortunately, no Pete.

i would really look up some more info on point lookout its really nice down there during the summer months that is. if you have any questions let me know i worked down there last summer!:wink:

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by RoseRed
What about contractors like me an R's retirement from Civil Service. Do we qualify? Heck, he works over there.
I am not sure if civil service qualifies.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Hi :smile:
My sister, her husband and my 2 young nephews are coming to visit me this summer. They wanted some info. about camp grounds so I searched the web and found:
-Camp Merryelande Vacation Cottages on St. George's Island,
-Take it Easy Campground, in Callaway, MD
-Dennis Point Marina and Campground in Drayden, MD.
-Point Lookout

I've never camped at any of these places. So please tell me which ones are preferable or which ones should be avoided. I really want them to have a good visit. Thanks! :biggrin:

You might want to call and see how they are doing after Isabelle. I think that Camp Merryeland sustained a lot of damage.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I am not sure if civil service qualifies.
Served 25 yeas as a federal firefighter at Pax and St Inigoes and not able to go camp there. :mad:

Pete

Repete
I have stayed at some really ratty ones, not by choice, but when traveling. It would be worth it to drive over on some Saturday and check them out this spring.

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by RoseRed
Served 25 yeas as a federal firefighter at Pax and St Inigoes and not able to go camp there. :mad:
He might, I am just not sure. I don;t have the link anymore and it is hard to find i I remember correctly. I think it is associated with the Navy Yard in DC's MWR dept.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
He might, I am just not sure. I don;t have the link anymore and it is hard to find i I remember correctly. I think it is associated with the Navy Yard in DC's MWR dept.
Where is Ken King when we need him! :wink:

Pete

Repete
NRC Solomons

Personnel serving in the uniformed services to include active duty, reserve, delayed entry, allied foreign nationals (with security clearance), military national guard, retired U.S. military personnel, active and retired DOD civilian personnel, and family members who carry a uniformed services identification card, DOD identification badge, or other documentation which indicates proof of eligibility are eligible to utilize NRC Solomons' services, facilities, and programs. ID cards must be presented at check-in.

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
NRC Solomons

Personnel serving in the uniformed services to include active duty, reserve, delayed entry, allied foreign nationals (with security clearance), military national guard, retired U.S. military personnel, active and retired DOD civilian personnel, and family members who carry a uniformed services identification card, DOD identification badge, or other documentation which indicates proof of eligibility are eligible to utilize NRC Solomons' services, facilities, and programs. ID cards must be presented at check-in.
You da man Pete! Sounds like we quaify. :cheesy:

chrissyhh

We have camped at Dennis Point many times. They keep the place nice & neat. You are right on the water, so you can go fishing or crabbing. They have a resturant and bar and a pool.:clap:

nomoney

Dennis Point and Point look out are great. Take it Easy is really cramped/pavement camping. We went there once; and packed right up and left again-it was horrible. I've never been to the Camp Merryelande, so I can not say yay or nay.

lucaswebco

I camped at Point Lookout 2 yrs ago. It was very nice. It is used as a day park too. Its good for fishing and boating. Lots of people surf fish out there. Campground was well maintained.