Xbox for $99? Xbox 2 in 2005?

Warron

I've heard some strong rumors about the xbox 2 including that they will not have a hard drive in order to keep the price down. That will be too bad considering the hard drive was one of the major selling features.

Of course with all the problems the xbox has been having, I wouldn't be surprised if it went under. I only had mine for 3 weeks before it stopped working. When I went to the support forum I found the problem mine has is far from unique. I've had about 10 game systems in my life and this is the only one that has not lasted 5 years or more. And it was always the controllers that stopped working, not the machine itself.

I think microsoft makes more money fixing the things then selling them. $99 flat fee after the warranty expires, regardless of what is wrong or whose fault it is. Not to mention that it cost me almost $25 to mail the stupid thing to the repair shop even when it is under warranty.

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by Warron
I've heard some strong rumors about the xbox 2 including that they will not have a hard drive in order to keep the price down. That will be too bad considering the hard drive was one of the major selling features.

Of course with all the problems the xbox has been having, I wouldn't be surprised if it went under. I only had mine for 3 weeks before it stopped working. When I went to the support forum I found the problem mine has is far from unique. I've had about 10 game systems in my life and this is the only one that has not lasted 5 years or more. And it was always the controllers that stopped working, not the machine itself.

I think microsoft makes more money fixing the things then selling them. $99 flat fee after the warranty expires, regardless of what is wrong or whose fault it is. Not to mention that it cost me almost $25 to mail the stupid thing to the repair shop even when it is under warranty.

Wouldn't it have been much cheaper just to buy a new one? :shrug:

Warron

Originally posted by ememdee19
Wouldn't it have been much cheaper just to buy a new one? :shrug:

At this point a new xbox still cost $179. Who knows what they will do if the price drops to $99 because noone will be paying the same amout to repair one as a new one costs.

green_wizard

Likes my X-box alot. Plays nice work like charm. I have 2 Xboxes now and thinking about 3rd & 4th if price goes down to $99.

I hacked one of xbox and use it as my centuralized entertainment center hooked on 100Base-T ethernet... Heheh. It was not intended to be used in this way but why not?

Got some good selection of games but not as many as PS2. Mostly Japanese Studios are not supporting enought I think (that is very unfortunate since I like Japanese anime based RPG a lot).

Like to see if someone can make emulator for PS2 and GameCube for fun of hacking.

Interesting machine at least anyway. Would like to have Wi-Fi enabled and Blue Tooth will be nice addition...

Not fond of PS2 for personal reason. Burned on PS1. Their first patch of the PS1 had heating problem and they never admitted it nor replaced it. I had to play PS1 upside down when it overheats for many years.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I just got a wireless router last night. Now I need to sell my PS2 online adapter (never been opened) and get a wireless one.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Seems to me that the X box is imminently hackable. Several friends of mine from work have reconfigured theirs into all kinds of stuff. $99 is hard to beat for such a (unintentionally) versatile machine!