no windows?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Maybe because they're Macintosh users? :lol:

Sorry, I'm curious about that question, too. In my elementary school in Michigan, we had two JW students in my class who wouldn't say the Pledge. I asked and they really couldn't explain it. I read later that JWs consider the flag to be a graven image.

CMC122

Go Braves!
:smile:

Yeah I mean they come peaking in your doors and windows but you can't peak in theirs??:rolleyes:

There are way to many things "different" with that religion. Or is it a cult:confused:

Hessian

Cult?

You bet....spend a little time looking over the founding of the JW's years ago...curious use of media, fraud, contradictory testimony in court fascinating stuff.

Snopes doesn't have answer for the windows quirk?

watercolor

yeah yeah
Maybe because they think they are gonna get attacked through the windows because they are blastphmas. :lol:

Or better yet, maybe because they look at the windows as graven images into the outside world from their building. :rolleyes: :lol:

Danzig

:confused: One of the main issues the Witnesses faced in the forties was the Watchtower requirement that Witnesses not salute the flag or buy war bonds because of their opposition to war, and in any way support war efforts (Sibley and Jacob, 1952). White summarizes an event typical of this time as follows:

At Klamath Falls, Oregon, the American Legion started to harass the Witnesses assembled with requests to salute the flag and buy war bonds. Then they attacked the Witnesses and besieged the hall, breaking windows, tossing in stink bombs, ammonia and burning kerosene rags. Some tried to get in the hall through the broken windows, only to be hit with broken benches by the Witnesses inside. The Witnesses' cars were all disabled and many overturned. Only the militia called out by the Governor of the state finally quelled the mob which reached 1,000 at its peak (1967, p. 330).

:confused:

CMC122

Go Braves!
Wow! People actually believe and follow those rules! :confused: But no real explanation on the no windows policy. Go figure! I really wanted to know!! :mad: :rolleyes:

CMC122

Go Braves!
Originally posted by Danzig
:confused: One of the main issues the Witnesses faced in the forties was the Watchtower requirement that Witnesses not salute the flag or buy war bonds because of their opposition to war, and in any way support war efforts (Sibley and Jacob, 1952). White summarizes an event typical of this time as follows:

At Klamath Falls, Oregon, the American Legion started to harass the Witnesses assembled with requests to salute the flag and buy war bonds. Then they attacked the Witnesses and besieged the hall, breaking windows, tossing in stink bombs, ammonia and burning kerosene rags. Some tried to get in the hall through the broken windows, only to be hit with broken benches by the Witnesses inside. The Witnesses' cars were all disabled and many overturned. Only the militia called out by the Governor of the state finally quelled the mob which reached 1,000 at its peak (1967, p. 330).

:confused:

OK then.

Danzig

Question:

Why do Jehovah's Witnesses churches have no windows? I have lived in five different states, and none of the churches I have seen have them.

POSTED 9/18/2002

Jimmy, Edinburg, TX, United States, 32, Male, Catholic, Student, 2 Years of College, Mesg ID 917200282217

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Responses:
It's funny you ask, because a friend of mine asked me that once. I didn't know what she was talking about because the Kingdom Hall (church) I attend has windows. However, depending on the area, it may be safer to do without windows. I grew up in Chicago, and in the dangerous neighborhoods, the halls were either windowless or barred. So it's not all kingdom halls. Probably just a coincidence that the ones you've passed haven't had them.
POSTED 9/29/2002

Lina, Bradenton, FL, United States, <feiz_t_1@yahoo.com>, 20, Female, Jehovahs Witness, White/Caucasian, Straight, Student, 2 Years of College, Mesg ID 923200233053

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was raised a Jehovah's Witness, and while there's probably no official reason for the lack of windows, my best guess is that it saves time and money. Witnesses rely on voluntary donations to raise money to build Kingdom Halls, so the building designs are kept fairly simple. Also, many of the Kingdom Halls that have been built in the last 20 years or so have been constructed in just a few days, so there isn't time to put in a lot of extras.

POSTED 9/29/2002

Johnna, Montgomery, AL, United States, 27, Female, Black/African American, Librarian, Mesg ID 925200210257

Most of my family are Jehovah's Witnesses, and that is actually a pretty common question. I think the biggest reason is to avoid vandalism. Rocks through the window can be a pretty expensive replacement, and Jehovah's Witnesses are an enitirely volunteer-based religion. They do accept donations, but don't ask for them, so it'd have to come out of the elders' (head ministers of the congregation's) income, which they put food on the table with. I think it's just more from problems they've had in the past, and working to try to avoid them. If you've ever been to one of their places of worship, though, you'll notice that there usually are two windows right next to the door, but not always.

From http://www.yforum.com/best092902.html

K

Kain99

I always heard, that They had no windows so that the devil could not look in. :wink:

TripleJ

Just for the two cents value.............the thing that distinguishes a cult from a religion is if the religious group survives the death if its leader. If a charismatic leader of a religious following passes away and the religious group continues then they have grown into a religion. If the group disbands after the death of its leader, then it was a cult. :cheers:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by TripleJ
Just for the two cents value.............the thing that distinguishes a cult from a religion is if the religious group survives the death if its leader. If a charismatic leader of a religious following passes away and the religious group continues then they have grown into a religion. If the group disbands after the death of its leader, then it was a cult. :cheers:

Just to play devil's advocate, what about Scientology? L. Ron Hubbard has been dead for a few years, and this cult is still in business.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Originally posted by Tonio
Just to play devil's advocate, what about Scientology? L. Ron Hubbard has been dead for a few years, and this cult is still in business.

My friends in-laws are in to Scientology. They even tried to "recruit" her. Thank goodness they didn't. They are wacko! And actually her in-laws are hypocrites because they go to see Doctors but don't tell anyone at "church" about it.

TruPeace

There is no windows because it can either cause an distraction to the audience who is listening to the keynote speaker. Also, in some areas vandalism is at a high rate, so it's giving safety to whomever is inside the Kingdom Hall. or it just wasn't in the Blueprints. Alot of times, it takes about 3 to week to build a local Kingdom Hall.

mainman

Set Trippin
TruPeace said:
There is no windows because it can either cause an distraction to the audience who is listening to the keynote speaker. Also, in some areas vandalism is at a high rate, so it's giving safety to whomever is inside the Kingdom Hall. or it just wasn't in the Blueprints. Alot of times, it takes about 3 to week to build a local Kingdom Hall.
What?