Democrat Senator Al Gore Voted Against The 1964 Civil Rights Act

G.R. Quinn

Democrat Senator Al Gore voted against the 1964 Civil Rights Act as did segregationist Democrat Senator William J. Fulbright.

demsformd

The thing that many people do not understand is that major political parties are coalitions of many groups that main emphasis is on winning elections. Senator Al Gore Sr. was wrong when he voted against civil rights legislation but he did so because he was from the South and the good-old southern white folk would kick him out of office if he voted for it. Still I hate the vote that he made, as did the national Democratic Party. There are always exceptions when it comes to votes. They are never completely party-line votes. While Gore voted against the legislation, he also voted against his party which endorsed the bill.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Al Gore should get the death penalty after his embarrassing and juvenile behavior during the 2000 election. Effing brown-suit-wearing-alpha-male-wanna-be-internet-inventing-prozac-wife-smooching-love-canal-discovering-feeding-his-mother-dog-drugs freak. And his flying monkeys who say ignorant things like "Gore is the legitimate President" should be zapped along with him.

Grrrrr!!!!!

demsformd

Well, do you hate the man or his politics? I cannot believe your rant and it shows your true colors. How can any nonparistan ever say such a thing about any candidate? I disagree with President Bush but I hate the way that some of my Democratic friends call him chimpy or some other derogatory remark. I think that saying such things are funny but when the intent is to harm the person, I disagree. Why did you bring his wife into this? What is wrong with you? Were you not hugged as a child? I have a serious disdain for you now. I cannot believe how you have reacted. You should be ashamed of yourself. For godssakes, act your age.
Just what juvenile and embarrassing behavior are you discussing? What about President Bush's DWI charges and his constant language problems on the campaign trail? And the "flying monkeys" do have a point that Al Gore won the election. He is not the legitimate president due to the system but he won the most votes in the nation and it is clear that more people entered the polls on election day intending to vote for him. I cannot believe the hateful words that you have written and I feel that you need to become less emotional when you post.

T

Turk

Originally posted by G.R. Quinn
Democrat Senator Al Gore voted against the 1964 Civil Rights Act as did segregationist Democrat Senator William J. Fulbright.

<hr>

Let's clarify things a tad, G. R. Quinn ==>

Southern senators were filibustering in Congress against
a civil rights bill that would make discrimination illegal in
public accommodations, the workplace and schools.
They held out for 75 days before the Civil Rights Act of
1964 was passed.

South Carolina's U.S. Sen. Strom Thurmond was
outspoken. "This is a tragic day for America when Negro
agitators, spurred on by communist enticements to
promote racial strife, can cause the United States Senate
to be steamrolled into passing the worst, most
unreasonable and unconstitutional legislation that has
ever been considered by the Congress."

http://celebrate2000.augustachronicle.com/stories/091299/his_1964.shtml

<hr>

Arizona Sen. Barry Goldwater's vote against the Civil
Rights Act of 1964 won Mr. Thurmond's support in
Goldwater's bid for the presidency that year and was a
factor in Mr. Thurmond's switch to the Republican Party.
Thurmond biographer Jack Bass wrote that the South
Carolinian's "last fight within the Democratic Party" was a
wrestling match with Texas' U.S. Sen. Ralph Yarborough
outside a Senate committee room, trying to keep the
Texan from voting to confirm an appointee of President
Lyndon B. Johnson who had denounced segregation
diehards as bigots.

http://celebrate2000.augustachronicle.com/stories/091299/his_1964.shtml

<hr>

Guess who the Republicans nominated to run for the presidency in 1964? Barry Goldwater, who voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Strom Thurmond was so pissed off at DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENT Lyndon Johnson that Strom switched parties and became a Republican.

<b>Strom Thurmond has been the pro tempore of the US Senate from 1980 - 1986 and from 1994 - 2000. Where is the outrage from the conservative-owned liberal media?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
While Barry Goldwater did vote against the 1964 Civil Rights Act, he's always been known as a non-racist. Then and now, he felt he felt the Act was an unconstitutional extension of federal power into state power.

I can respect Goldwater's position, even though I believe he was wrong on that issue. The Southern states (and some Northern states) were using the force of law to deny black residents their rights under the 14th and 15th Amendments. Both amendments granted Congress the power to enforce them by law. The Civil Rights Act was Congress' method for doing just that.

I've written in other threads that whites in the former Confederacy deserted the Democratic Party in huge numbers in the 1960s, mostly due to things like the 1964 Civil Rights Act. But Goldwater was not among them. He was from Arizona and was a lifelong Republican.

G.R. Quinn

Turk

Do you have the break down of which Democrats and Republicans voted against the 1957, 1960. and 1964 Civil Rights Act?

Strom Thurmond was never a member of the KKK like Democrat Senator Robert Byrd.

Thanks,

G.R.

G.R. Quinn

Tonio

I've written in other threads that whites in the former Confederacy deserted the Democratic Party in huge numbers in the 1960s, mostly due to things like the 1964 Civil Rights Act. [/B][/QUOTE]

Could you provide the documentation for this and name the Democrat senators that voted against the 1964 Civil Rights Act that switched to the Republican Party?

I don't see how that makes sense because the Republicans were the ones who helped get the 1957, 1960, and 1964 Civil rights Acts passed.

Republican President Eisenhower pushed for and signed the 1957 and the 1960 Civil Rights Act. And the Vast majority of Republican Senators voted for the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

If your reasoning is right then Southern white Democrats would hate the Republicans.

Also, which Southern states have a majority of Republican voters since there was such a mass desertion from the Democrat Party?

Thanks,

G.R.