Recycling Coaxial Cable?

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
Does anyone know if coax cable and phone cords can be recycled at the electronics or metal bins at the convenience centers in Calvert or Charles? Or if metal places will take it for cash? I don't care if I get money for it- just want a good way to get rid of it!

I tried Earth911.com and came up with nada, but eHow.com says some places do recycle it.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
As far as I know, most copper recycling places require you to remove the copper from the rest of the cable. Coax is usually a copper core wire, an insulating layer, a copper braided shield and then the outer sheath. The copper goes to a metal recycler and the rubber/plastic goes elsewhere.

I would call your local trash dump and ask about this since they do take electronic equipment. See if they take the cables & cords. I know for sure that recycling shops like the one on rte 488 will take the copper only if it's separated from it's insulation.

loriv

You can Freecycle it. It's a free Yahoo group geared toward your specific area - there's a Calvert group. Someone will pick it up from your porch/driveway. Depending on how much you have it will likely go quickly. Someone out there has the time to spend stripping it to get the metal out.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
DO NOT burn off the insulation on coax. The inner insulation gives off phosgene gas when burned