Love?

K

Kain99

I think that the definitions SUCK! I mean where's the blood, sweat and tears part? Where's the putting yourself last part? Where's the definition that even comes friggin close! Stupid Dictionary! :frown:

1. A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness.

2. A feeling of intense desire and attraction toward a person with whom one is disposed to make a pair; the emotion of sex and romance.

1. Sexual passion.
2. Sexual intercourse.
3. A love affair.

4. An intense emotional attachment, as for a pet or treasured object.

5. A person who is the object of deep or intense affection or attraction; beloved. Often used as a term of endearment.

6. An expression of one's affection: Send him my love.

1. A strong predilection or enthusiasm: a love of language.
2. The object of such an enthusiasm: The outdoors is her greatest love.

K

Kain99

I'm writing my own definition...

Love: still thinking - brb! :biggrin:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
The dictionary only defines how a word is used. With that in mind where is "I want to get you into bed" as a definition. :rolleyes:

K

Kizzy

Originally posted by Kain99
I'm writing my own definition...

Love: still thinking - brb! :biggrin:

I'm sure we will wait a lifetime for you to come up with a suitable definition that will please you. :ohwell:

SamSpade

The dictionary only defines how a word is most commonly used in everyday speech. If people used the word to mean " a small furry animal that barks at strangers and pees on fire hydrants" than that would be the entry in the dictionary. It's silly to expect the dictionary to function as not only a linguistics expert, but as one for philosophy as well. It doesn't even TELL us how words *should* be used, only how they ARE used.

Orphans who are raised without any kind of love or nurturing grow to be deeply disturbed individuals, sometimes very seriously mentally ill. It's my belief that outside the basic needs for survival - food, air, water, shelter - love is the most basic and important human need in life. People have written songs and poems for millenia for something that most of us never really grasp. If people have mused so long about something, how can anyone define it precisely in one brief sentence?

And the other thing is - we have such an imprecise language. Other languages have *different* words to describe what we use only one for. They use different words for love for friends, for sex, for love for humanity, for unselfish, sacrificial love. That's just *language* for you.

K

Kain99

Originally posted by IM4Change
I'm sure we will wait a lifetime for you to come up with a suitable definition that will please you. :ohwell:
I hope that you don't wait a lifetime to satisfy that sexual frustration mean head! :biggrin:

J

justhangn

Love – the excuse given to treat and/or be treated like crap. :yay:

K

Kizzy

Originally posted by Kain99
That's not what you said last night snickerdoodle. :wink:

I thought we agreed we would not discuss our private matters here. You have been a very bad girl. I will whip you later.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by migtig
Very good points. :clap: People with attachment disorders have trouble trusting others. Loving must be done on their terms so that they will not be hurt. They attempt to control everyone and everything in their world. No one gets into their world, past their barriers, without proving that they are truly trustworthy. So in that aspect, wouldn't a definition of "love" be "trust"?

Kain, I love others, but not with a soul abiding passion but with compassion. So there are many facets to "love".

:popcorn: Please......keep confessing...I mean....keep going. :popcorn: