Dog Park Interested?

Woodyspda

I'm looking to see how many people in the area would be interested in a local dog park. I am pretty sure Chancellor's Run Park has plenty of room for one and is pretty centralized. I'm not sure if we could get the county to spring for it but maybe they would at least approve it if there was enough interest and enough funds donated.... Let me know at the email above. I have a lawyer friend who told me if I could get 150 signatures that I'd have a good shot.

NO. That's why I have a yard. As do 99% of the residents of St. Mary's county. It's not like we live in a urban area where nobody has a yard. Why should I have to pay to have somebody clean up after your dog takes a dump on county owned property? I can hear you now..."But I clean up after my dog"...maybe you do, but not everybody is so dutiful, most people do not pick up after their dog when they do their business outside.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by huntr1
NO. That's why I have a yard. As do 99% of the residents of St. Mary's county. It's not like we live in a urban area where nobody has a yard. Why should I have to pay to have somebody clean up after your dog takes a dump on county owned property? I can hear you now..."But I clean up after my dog"...maybe you do, but not everybody is so dutiful, most people do not pick up after their dog when they do their business outside.

Dog parks are great. And trust me, they are monitored by those who use them, and if someone doesn't clean up their mess, they are told about it.

it is a chance for the dogs to get out a play with other dogs, but it is also a chance for you to get out and meet new people as well

Originally posted by SmallTown
Dog parks are great. And trust me, they are monitored by those who use them, and if someone doesn't clean up their mess, they are told about it.

it is a chance for the dogs to get out a play with other dogs, but it is also a chance for you to get out and meet new people as well
That may work in NoVa, but I doubt it will work in SOMD. Heck people can't even manage to pick up after THEMSELVES, how do you think they will do with picking up after their mutts?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Was there last Saturday with my boy. Somebody had scraped off part of the "NO DOGS ALLOWED ON FIELD" sign so it read "1O DOGS ALLOWED ON FIELD."

Originally posted by aps45819
Was there last Saturday with my boy. Somebody had scraped off part of the "NO DOGS ALLOWED ON FIELD" sign so it read "1O DOGS ALLOWED ON FIELD."
SEE THAT"S WHAT I MEAN!!!!!!:burning: People have no respect for public property.:burning:

R

razmataz10_99

I would love a dog park in this area. I had heard they considered opening on at the John Lancaster park, but there wasn't enough interest.

SmallTown

Football season!
That may work in NoVa, but I doubt it will work in SOMD. Heck people can't even manage to pick up after THEMSELVES, how do you think they will do with picking up after their mutts?

definately isn't a "nova" thing, they are everywhere.

But hey, if the anal snobs in NoVa can figure it out, I'm sure somd can

Re: Re: Dog Park Interested?

Originally posted by *archimedes*
My taxes already pay for a lotta stuff for your stupid kids, your taxes can pay for a fence for dogs to play in.
I KNOW you didn't just call my kids stupid.:burning:

Woodyspda

email

Sorry, I'm not adept at all the functions of the forum. I had thought I left my email as some kind of link. Go ahead and email me at woody@olg.com.

Without actually counting, I'm assuming that's

1- definite no
5 or 6 hell yes's

I actually have a large yard and would not be utilizing the park for a doggy bathroom. I'd use it so my dog could socialize with other dogs on occasion.

huntr I understand everything you are saying and I here you. I've thought up all the same things. That's why it would take 5 or 6 proactive folks to ensure it would work out. I've talked to someone that works for animal relief and they are all for helping out too.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
I for one, use the dog park down here in VA Bch for the socialization aspect. My dogs have "friends" at the park and look forward to going. I enjoy getting to see them rough house and run and have a great time with the other dogs. I take my rescue dogs there, dogs that have been kept in a yard or tied up to a tree in the past and they run laps like a greyhound, so full of energy and freedom. It's great to socialize with other dog oriented people too. Tired dogs=happy dogs. I would love to have a place in SOMD to take my troops to meet other dogs when I visit.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
Absolutely LOVE the idea of a dog park. We took our dogs up to PetsMart last weekend that they thought that was the best thing around. They got to meet other dogs and have a great time.

If the owners are responsible enough, they will clean up the doody if their dog goes. :) But I would have to agree that dogs need to get out and play with other dogs to be social. They are in a lot of ways like people with the socialization.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I'd love to have a dog park to take my dogs to for a little socializing. I think they get bored with each other and need other butts to sniff. :lmao:

Woodyspda

I will get the ball rolling

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will talk to my friend about the petition tonight. I'm thinking I could ask the Well Pet Clinic for a spot to keep the petition. There will be a dog walk soon too. I will shoot for having enough signatures by the end of March. I'll leave info on where you can sign, as soon as everything is squared away. Keep an eye out for it.

Woody

bernsm

Dog Parks

I am one of the "anal snobs" that helped get the first dog park opened in Arlington County. :smile: Believe me, it was not an easy task - an acre of land in Arlington at the time was valued at around a million bucks.

I do have good news on this subject for St. Mary's County - the County's Parks and Recreation Department is already reaching out. They have asked St. Mary's Animal Welfare League (SMAWL) to solicit interest in a dog park. Go to www.smawl.org and you will find an e-mail link to address your interest.

As for the person concerned about his tax dollars going to pick up poop - the poop picking up is the responsibility of the owners. And they do pick it up. Bags and trash cans come with these parks. Dog owners take this task seriously because they don't want to lose park privileges and dog owners monitor each other. Not cleaning up after your dog is heavily frowned upon. Oh by the way, I've been paying taxes for schools for about 30 years now and I never had a child. No complaints.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Here is some helpful tips. I worked for the City of Fort Worth here in Texas during the Capital Improvement process. A dog park came up and a number of owners petitioned. It turned out to be such a small cost that the politicians (get them those lovely emails) just said put it on, without question, because they could satisfy so many voters so quickly (over something that was such a minor issue compared to drainage, roads, etc...).

http://www.fortworthdogpark.org/pages/1/index.htm

This site is run by the guy who organized the petition, became familiar with the costs, etc...

I would suggest getting a hold of him and getting some tips. Overall, in Fort Worth it is going to take $50,000 for the appropriate corrections to the already existing park.

Even though this is county over a large city, I would imagine the suggestions, research, and other info gathered would be comparable to use.

Good luck!

Chrystee

YES YES YES YES!!

I just posted about this in life in so md..

There is one in White plains.. it is beautiful.. we should model it after that one! I for one, have a 3x5 area of grass, not enough for play!

There are a dozen parks down here, but no dog area!

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
SEE THAT"S WHAT I MEAN!!!!!!:burning: People have no respect for public property.:burning:

Huntr's just pizzed that he might get another speeding ticket and have to do more community service to work off the fine/points by scooping up dog shiat. :lol: