Verizon or TracFone?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
My Nokia 918P died yesterday. Verizon wants something like $99 for a 2-year contract to upgrade to a modern digital phone. I don't use my phone much, just to call home in case I'm running late coming home from work. I'm thinking seriously about TracFone. Any suggestions?

ceo_pte

Originally posted by Tonio
My Nokia 918P died yesterday. Verizon wants something like $99 for a 2-year contract to upgrade to a modern digital phone. I don't use my phone much, just to call home in case I'm running late coming home from work. I'm thinking seriously about TracFone. Any suggestions?

We just went through the same stuff with Sprint. My wife's phone died and they wanted us to sign a new contract or pay the full cost of a new phone.. You know their spill.

Seriously, I called like 6 times and finally they gave me a $150.00 credit, no new contract, and they upgraded my plane to include: unlimited mobile to mobile, nights&weekends starting at 8 p.m., an additional 200 anytime minutes, and it costs $10 less per month. Persistence is the key and keep asking to speak with the manager. We finally called and told them that we were going to cancel both phones and switch carriers. Good Luck they are a PIA...

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by jlabsher
Check out http://www.virginmobileusa.com/ I think it is cheaper than tracphone.

Thanks. But based on this map, I would be screwed since most of St. Mary's is not in the coverage area.

Washington_DC.gif

My buddy is the Mgr. of the Verizon store in California. If you want, I will PM you his number and see if he can do anything for you.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Virgin uses Sprint's network. Works fine in da park, cali & holywierd - not in Great Mills or Leonardtown. Basically works fine all the way up the 235 corridor to DC.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'm the same boat.. don't use the cell enough to warrant being on any "plan".. had the Trac-Fone.. it comes out to almost 80 cents a minute when you use it 24 hours a day.. 7 days a week.... rounded UP of course.. Use Verizon Free-Up now.. paid 49.99 for the Tri-mode phone.. never more then 10 cents a minute.. and you get double minutes on week-ends and nights..

Elle

Happy Camper!
Thanks. But based on this map, I would be screwed since most of St. Mary's is not in the coverage area.

:yeahthat: My brother bought a Virgin phone and ended up returning it b/c of that. My sister has a Tracphone and loves it, you just need to remember to renew the minutes/cards when they expire.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
With the Virgin I'm paying $.25 a minute and have to use $20 every 3 months. I only use it when the bus is running late, NOT at the store asking the wifey what kind of milk,cheese,bread to buy. But yeah, there isn't coverage once you get outside the 235 area.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by tys_mommy
:yeahthat: My brother bought a Virgin phone and ended up returning it b/c of that. My sister has a Tracphone and loves it, you just need to remember to renew the minutes/cards when they expire.

How long do the minutes last? Our other car has OnStar and the minutes expire after 60 days or so.

Elle

Happy Camper!
How long do the minutes last? Our other car has OnStar and the minutes expire after 60 days or so.

I don't know, I could ask them. I know you can buy different minute amount cards. Verizon used to have a plan for like around $5 a month and then you only paid for the minutes you used and they have a wide coverage area. You may want to look in to that, to see if it still exists.

alex

My mom has the ATT Go Phone account. I think she has to spend $10 per month and the used minutes roll over. She has it automatically billed to her credit card. It works well for her.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
VErizon Coverager is REAL good.. can use it out on the river from the sailboat, as well as from Webster Field.. minutes roll over.. and I buy a $30 card every two months..