Anyone else set up a home network?

D

darkriver4362

I have one set up on my 3 computers I have, with a wireless broadband router on the downstairs one. The network I have is wired, although I looked into the phoneline, powerline etc, do you have a home network, if so what kind?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by darkriver4362
I have one set up on my 3 computers I have, with a wireless broadband router on the downstairs one. The network I have is wired, although I looked into the phoneline, powerline etc, do you have a home network, if so what kind?

I just bought a Belkin Wireless Router .11b the other day and have had nothing but problems with it.

I keep losing my internet connection intermittently and it is very, very slow.

I opted for the b instead of the g because the b is still faster than my cable modem, and I don't plan on transferring large numbers of large files within the network.

But I'm taking this one back. Though I had a good deal at $30 after rebate but it's a stinker.

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......
When I was still living with my dad, I started off with a simple 10 Base-T LAN. It was about 5 years ago and we had just gotten Cable service via HSANet. We had his PC(in the living room) and my PC(in the basement). A 4-port 10 Base-T hub connected straight to the modem(in the basement) and was able to grab an IP for each PC. I put in a wall jack close to his PC and wired it the few feet down to the basement through the wall and floor.

A few months later, I started building PC's for myself and upgraded to a 8-Port 10/100 Switch. At one point, down in the "lair"(basement), I had about 8 Pentium II class or better PC's(a few PII's and AMD K6's and one PIII). The fastest always being my main PC, first started with Win98 and finally W2kPro. The others running Linux, Solaris i386, BeOS or *BSD. I also had a Pentium 66 running FreeSCO as a router between the modem and 10/100 switch.

Somewhere along the lines I aquired a Gateway Solo 9100 laptop. When I was in the living room, I got in the habbit of playing on the laptop and watching TV, or worked on other peoples PC on the dining room table. Needless to say, I connected a 4- port 10/100 hub to the wall jack I installed a while back.

Because I has all these PC's, my sister got in a hissy-fit. I gave her one(up-stairs in her bed room). Instead of trying to run Cat-5 through the wall 3 floors, I just ran it along the outside wall(Wi-Fi was just becoming popular and was expensive).

About this time HSANet was bought out(or whatever) by GMP and service started to suck big time. On every Sunday, no service all day. Other days of the week we had intermitent service. So we got Verizon DSL. About this time, the Pentium 66 crapped out. I found out that I could upgrade the firmware for the DSL modem to act as a router.

As time went on I started to get rid of most of my PC's. Now, I have my own place with a Linux server, my main P4 2GHz PC and Tigger's AMD Duron 900MHz PC on the 10/100 switch.

Well, I have a 10BaseT with a WiFi set up as my TAN, (Tiny Area Network). That will probably change to a HAN, (Home Area Network). I think I have about 8 computers on the 10BaseT. I’m experimenting with the WiFi at the moment.
I’m having a little trouble with setting up my notebook adapter on my thinkpad and one of my rabbits turned off half of my network. The half that has the home directories NFS mounted to the rest of the machines, of course. Now my Solaris system is down for the count. :( I don’t think home networks are as rare as they were. There is a greater need for them now. We are becoming technocrats!

CMC122

Go Braves!
Originally posted by BuddyLee
You all are speaking Japanese with all these terms.

:confused: :confused: :confused:
:yeahthat: My husband set ours up. We got the router from dell and we have cable modem. I rarely have a problem.

D

darkriver4362

Hey Buddy, my uncle just plugs the things in where they fit, and it somehow majically works.

CMC, is your wireless or wired?? Last night I tested it and walked down on the beach with a medium strengh signal lol

SamSpade

We've got one set up, but it isn't really a "network". We have a wireless router set up after the satellite modem, so everyone can use the Internet - but there's no interconnection between workstations. And we don't need it really.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Hey Buddy, my uncle just plugs the things in where they fit, and it somehow majically works.

CMC, is your wireless or wired?? Last night I tested it and walked down on the beach with a medium strengh signal lol

I'm not sure of the difference.

The router is wired to the desktop but I can take the laptop anywhere in the yard and it works great. Does that make any sense?

D

darkriver4362

Originally posted by CMC122
I'm not sure of the difference.

The router is wired to the desktop but I can take the laptop anywhere in the yard and it works great. Does that make any sense?

Yeah! That's what I got...the laptop goes anywhere. The cable interent comes in on the downstairs one, but I have a network upstairs, that's seperate. It has a server, desktop, notebook etc....but the unwired laptop is great aint it?:biggrin:

CMC122

Go Braves!
Yeah! That's what I got...the laptop goes anywhere. The cable interent comes in on the downstairs one, but I have a network upstairs, that's seperate. It has a server, desktop, notebook etc....but the unwired laptop is great aint it?:biggrin:
Yes it is!!!

Originally posted by BuddyLee
You all are speaking Japanese with all these terms.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

A, so desu ka?

Sorry about that. I've been in the business too long! I just said Yes, I have a home network. Everything else was a description of the beast. If my rabbits would leave it alone, that is.