Now I'm scared to post this!!!

arabianpony

I have a little pony I would like to find a home for. He is lovely, gentle, beautifully trained western. Looks like a quarter pony, about 14hands, at least 20 years old. He loads, baths, clips, everything just as calm as you please. On the trail, I have never seen him spook, he will go thru mud and water without a blink. His gaits are so smooth, the kids and I can ride his trot and lope bareback. The older kids ride him around with a halter and a lead line. I put all the little kids on him and they can bounce and squeal and flap and he just keeps on keeping on. He is just super.....
BUT
He has what my farrier said looks like bowed tendons. He trips alot at a trot unless you kinda shift your wieght back on his hind end. He has never gone lame on us, and we all ride him. I took him on a trail ride over 3 hours last fall and I weigh about 175 (we needn't mention that part again).
I think he is also loosing his sight, but he has never shown any handicap, just clouding pupils.
He is just sweet as pie and would make a great back yard pet, or maybe lead line pony. We ride him almost every day (not much during the winter though). I don't want him to seem like a gimp, you never have to ask twice for a trot or lope, I loves to do a nice soft lope on the flat. Lots of fun to ride. My teenagers adore him, but he is DEFINITLY not suited for jumping.
I would like to get $400 for him and I want references.

arabianpony

Thanks, Appy. He really is sweet, and if I have to, I will end up keeping him as a lawn ornament, but the teenagers are just too much for him.
I was really considering replacing him, but my kids are really going thru the teenage thing and as much as it is going to kill me, I will probably find homes for all 3 horses this summer so I can spend more time harassing my kids. It is absolutely going to kill me.
I know it is the right thing to do for my kids, but I feel horrible. I had to sell my horse when I first had my first baby, and I cried so bad the poor lady offered to not take him. My life needs to be focused on the kids again. Maybe when I retire.....

spinner

I think you gave a saddle to a friend of mine...an old western one...if you are the same person I saw that pony and he is cute. The kids were riding him around with just a halter. I hope you find a home for him.
Think again about giving up all your horses, I just got my first one last year, for me they are therapy. When I get too stressed I go in the pasture with them.

PrepH4U

He sounds like he would be ideal for me if I didn't already have a good looking pasture poodle. (lawn ornament) Good luck on finding a good home. But I have to agree with spinner only takes a little bit of hay and grain to keep a good horse around for when you do feel like unwinding. Cheaper than a therapist! Good luck!

spinner

Well I'm not sure about cheaper...my heath insurance doesn't cover horse therapy, alto his name is Bob and if I could get him write out a receipt...

PrepH4U

Originally posted by spinner
Well I'm not sure about cheaper...my heath insurance doesn't cover horse therapy, alto his name is Bob and if I could get him write out a receipt...
hmmm good point! :biggrin: But in the "real" office setting do they have aromatherapy? Aww the essence of horse apples! :smile:

arabianpony

Originally posted by spinner
I think you gave a saddle to a friend of mine...an old western one...if you are the same person I saw that pony and he is cute. The kids were riding him around with just a halter. I hope you find a home for him.
Think again about giving up all your horses, I just got my first one last year, for me they are therapy. When I get too stressed I go in the pasture with them.

Yep, that is him. I had just ordered a new pony saddle too. My 2 year old neice LOVES the horses and I lead her around on Nudge for hours, perched up on an adult saddle with her hood up so the riding helmet wont droop down so fast. I ordered a pony saddle and a little riding helmet.
But she gets really upset if they yawn around her, so she won't come down to the barn at feeding time, when they do it most. "day scaw me. me go hom." She burys her head in my shoulder and no amount of coaxing or bribery can get it out. I think I won't be the only one who misses them.

tc1962

I am looking for a pony for my 5 and 10year old .. They are both beginners and would only be riding in a ring or my daughter with me on trails.. Just something they can play around with and let me have my horse to myself ... I don't want to share anymore... Pam