What amazes you the most? Why?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
As we cleaned out the old sewing room this weekend to make it into my domain, my cave, we came across a stack of old albums (Led Zep III, the first Van Halen, just about every Steppenwolf, Dark Side of the Moon, 2112...MY RED BARON ALBUM from back in '06!!! (Gabby Hayes voice..."yess siree, way back in '06...when I was clerk of the circuit court"...inside joke)

We started reminiscing about putting on a stack of 45's(!) or a few albums, the repeat mode or that scritching noise if you didn't select the auto end switch...and we were amazed anew at how the heck a hollow needle, in essence, could produce music???

Hence...THE POLL.

Take a little trip, take a little trip...

Otter

Nothing to see here
Had to agree with the stylus..Never quite understood how that worked...btw, below is a good site to see how things work...

http://www.howstuffworks.com/

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I said the Internet, of course.  But all of that stuff fascinates me.  Cell phones, radio, television - if you think too much about all that data flying around it would kind of freak you out.

Of course, I had to vote space since Larry provided it for me (Woodstock voter).  

I'll have to add a second ( but more honest ) vote for some thing else later.

Hey Vrai, space is kinda like the internet huh. When do you get to the end of them?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Crazy,

I know the answer to that one!

If space is like the net, then obviously, it ends when you get to the Windows!

A sign at the end of space:

"Please re-boot your time continuum”

Followed by:

“Are you SURE you want to continue?”

Then, you enter “Safe Mode” and things really start getting weird…

PmoneyandTT

electricity would have to be the most amazing thing to me.. It is the foundation of everything that we use now.. Without it - everything else would be useless.

StillCrazy on 10:47 pm on Feb. 11, 2002[br]I'll have to add a second ( but more honest ) vote for some thing else later.

Hey, What happened?  I can't vote multiple times anymore. Oh well, I think the poll feature is better this way.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Larry,

It's got to be space.  Multiply everything that has happened here by all of that out there.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
<b>Otter sez</b>[br]below is a good site to see how things work...

http://www.howstuffworks.com/

Otter, that is the coolest site I've ever seen!  I bookmarked it because I know that once I start in, I'll be there for hours!  Thank you!!!!!!!
:notworthy:

What really amazes me the most is the way we humans (not neccessarily this human) have created stuff to make our lives easier or better or just different. I'm not talking about anything specific - just stuff.

I'll skip back thirty-plus years... Need to put a man on the moon, oh wait, first we need a rocket. But before we do that, we need a...jet.  Ok, now a prop plane... and some guidance systems. computers? Oh wait, we don't have those yet. Joe, go build a computer, try not to use vaccuum tubes.

Now for that lunar lander. I think we'll need some kind of automated mobility to rove around while we're up there. What? we don't have a rover. Hey Henry, could you build us a rover.  What's that?  You say you need a horse draw wagon before you can built an "automobile"?  So who decided we could ride horses anyway?

And oh by the way, Mr. Busch, how ya gonna bottle and box all that beer?
Tools? We need tools? Ok, and 'em to the list.

And on, and on, and on, until we get to a rock and a stick.

Wow!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And stuff that was absolutely inconceivable to our grandparents, their grandparents and so on - it's just normal everyday to us.  I can remember being a teenager (yes, I can remember that far back!) thinking that there wasn't anything left to invent.  Computers were something the super-nerds messed with.  No such thing as an ATM card.  Cable television was what rich people had.  No microwaves.  No VCRs.  You actually <i>dialed</i> a phone number.

But my great-grandmother didn't even have indoor plumbing growing up nor did they have electricity.  She said they never thought about wanting it because no one they knew had it and using the outhouse was just normal.  Wonder what my grandchildren will have as normal life that never even occurred to me to want?

God, I feel old!

ArtieOne

I would have answered sooner, but I was lost in space.  And that's truly amazing!  Not that I was lost, space is amazing.  

Lilly

The Original Lilly
I know what you mean blondie - It is so strange to look at my son and wonder what his life will be like with all the new technology.  He won't ever know a world where computers, cell phones and the like don't exist.  It makes you wonder if we are going to have a generation who demands everything to be instantaneous and takes it all for granted!  I mean can kids really respect things like the Playstation2 if they never thought of Atari as the world's greatest invention??  I guess we will find out . . . .
(By the way - Space is by far the most amazing - the other things were invented by someone and therefore understood by someone at least - Space is the one thing that was not created by us nor can we take any credit for its existence.  And though we may try we will never know all of its secrets and complexities)