What a scam! SOMD SCAM

K

KaZamm1061

People watch out for this it happened to me this weekend.
I posted an ad online to sell my van for $1100.00. This guy from nigeria emailed me and stated he was looking for this type of van and wanted it. He stated he would send me a Cashiers Check and when it arrived to contact him VIA Email so he can set up for a shipper to pick it up. After a few emails i figured this guy was D@@@ing me around so i reposted it. Well this weekend i got a Cashiers Check for $6000.00. I thought why would he send me $6000.00 for a $1100.00 sale so i did some checking and called the bank it was drawn on to verify Funds. It seems this guy is sending more than your sell price so you would deposit this cashiers check and send him the remaining money. Just to find out you have deposited a $6000.00 check that is no good and out whatever money you sent him. I contacted the Sherriff's office who stated that this scam has gone on to many SOMD people. iF THIS HAS HAPPENED TO YOU contact Sherriff WALKER 301-475-4040.

THE CHECK IS DRAWN ON ADVEST BANK IN LOWELL AR sorry i didnt copy the check to post, the sherriff has it . any question please feel free to email me at kazamm1061@gmpexpress.net.

J

justhangn

You should read more of Appyday's post on this subject, I think she's already posted this scam........

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This isn't going on just in SOMD - eBay's having a problem and so is anyone else in the world who's running a classifieds or auction site.

First of all, why would someone from Nigeria want your car or jewelry or your puppies? Common sense should tell you they wouldn't.

Local cops can't help you because it's coming from overseas. Feds won't help you unless, like Appy said, it's over $100,000. If you get a half-illiterate email from someone in a third-world country saying they want to buy your item, PLEASE delete the email and don't contact that person.

K

KaZamm1061

Well i figured it to be bogus in the first place and dint expect to see anything anyway. But when this check came in the mail it seemed even wierder. Yes i know its prob going on in other places like ebay but i thought id post it on here since it happened to me yesterday after posting an ad here. Sorry i said anything. Post a warning and get your head bitten off. Sheshhhh BTW for some people who didnt know about it it was good info and have the info for those who did know about it, well i dont know what to tell ya.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
I had a thread in "Chit Chat" last night under PayPal....I should have put it here, but I put it in the wrong place (New Guy).....It is kind of the same thing....Mine came from Russia and I didn't get any money....Check it out.....The wording is great....

Otter

Nothing to see here
Originally posted by KaZamm1061
Well i figured it to be bogus in the first place and dint expect to see anything anyway. But when this check came in the mail it seemed even wierder. Yes i know its prob going on in other places like ebay but i thought id post it on here since it happened to me yesterday after posting an ad here. Sorry i said anything. Post a warning and get your head bitten off. Sheshhhh BTW for some people who didnt know about it it was good info and have the info for those who did know about it, well i dont know what to tell ya.

Sorry, but if you received a check, you had to half fall for it, unless you posted your address on the ad, which is not a good idea. This scam/and variations has been around for years, surprising that you haven't read about it before.

K

KaZamm1061

Originally posted by otter
Sorry, but if you received a check, you had to half fall for it, unless you posted your address on the ad, which is not a good idea. This scam/and variations has been around for years, surprising that you haven't read about it before.

I dint know this guy was from nigiria until he emailed me for the 2nd time. But strange thing is, The Cashiers Check came from the states and mailed from london. Thats one of the things that got my attention. Yes i did believe this guy wanted it at first but after a few emails i figured something was up and when the check came in it got even wierder. Thats the reason i thought id better investigate it further.

Elle

Happy Camper!
So you mean to tell me someone was going to spend over $1,000 on a vehicle that they had never seen, never the less test driven? That would have been my first flag there:shrug:

Sorry you are getting scammed though!

K

KaZamm1061

I was scammed but not taken. I caught it in time and wasnt a fool like this guy thought i was.

meme

The Smart Hooker
That sucks! Sorry it had to happen to you Kazamm. Fortunately you didn't get suckered and knew it was a scam. Just goes to show you that there are alot of LOSERS out there. :loser:

K

KaZamm1061

I got the check but the sheriff has it now. i didnt cash it,

K

KaZamm1061

as a matter of fact yes he emailed me again this morning. I went to the sheriff's office to give him all the emails pertaining to the transaction. i sent this fool another email as instructed by the sheriff's office trying to get him to ite on this sale. The sheriff wants me to send thier money to this western union for pick-up as they will have a police officer wating for them to pick it up. western union is instructed to only give the money to thier location and not any other location. Hope they get these people.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
The sheriff wants me to send thier money to this western union for pick-up as they will have a police officer wating for them to pick it up.

:confused: how do you send their money if the check they sent was bogus? does he expect YOU to front the cash to send these guys? :shrug:

K

KaZamm1061

they want you to deposit the check thinking you wont know its bogus and withdraw cash off of it and send them the rest leaving you hopeless.

crabcake

they want you to deposit the check thinking you wont know its bogus and withdraw cash off of it and send them the rest leaving you hopeless.

:duh: I get the 'scam' ... I don't get how the sheriff's expect you to send them money so they can be on the other end to nab the criminal. :shrug:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by tatercake
:duh: I get the 'scam' ... I don't get how the sheriff's expect you to send them money so they can be on the other end to nab the criminal. :shrug:
:yeahthat: Tell the sheriff's office, they can front the money and use your name. So if the loser gets away with it, the sheriff loses their investment, not you.

crabcake

Originally posted by cmcdanal
:yeahthat: Tell the sheriff's office, they can front the money and use your name. So if the loser gets away with it, the sheriff loses their investment, not you.

TY ... I was thinking I was the only person reading his post as "the sherriff thinks I'm stupid enough to front my own money to send the guy -- even though the world knows the scammers checks are bogus -- so they can save the day and nab him at Western Union."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Another good'un that's come to our attention:

People contact you wanting to buy your items. They ask for your checking account number so they can "direct deposit" the payment. :lol: It never occurred to me that someone would actually go, "Okay!" and do it but apparently they do.

Don't ever give anyone your bank account numbers - not someone responding to your auction or classified ad, not a telemarketer, not ANYONE!

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Another good'un that's come to our attention:

People contact you wanting to buy your items. They ask for your checking account number so they can "direct deposit" the payment. :lol: It never occurred to me that someone would actually go, "Okay!" and do it but apparently they do.

Don't ever give anyone your bank account numbers - not someone responding to your auction or classified ad, not a telemarketer, not ANYONE!
Really? people fall for that? I'd rather set up a Paypal account and let them work through there. It's not just for Ebay afterall.