Rocky Rowland's Credentials

Terp Fan

Here is some information about what Rocky Rowland did at Pax River for the 30 years he worked there. His experience is very similar to that of someone running a business.

While working for the Department of Defense, Rocky was responsible for several multi-million dollar programs. He wrote the strategic plans, business plans, and execution plans. He was responsible for the budget and then ultimately responsible for making sure the programs were successful. These were not just normal programs either. They were "Acquisition Category 1" programs, which are the most complex and the highest category of programs within the Department of Defense. Some of these programs were overseen by Congress and he was required to report to members of Congress on several occasions. In addition to running these programs, he was also responsible for getting the funding to make them happen. Many people in this county (defense contractors in particular) relied on him to make sure the money was there for them to do their jobs.

I understand it is probably easier for people to understand the complexity of running a retail business (ie grocery store) than what it takes to run major programs for the Department of Defense. And I am not undermining what it must take to run a retail business. Rocky knows how to make things happen! He made things happen when he worked for the federal government and he will make things happen for this County. I believe he is much better prepared to manage this County Government than any other candidate.

STMLADY

Who knows maybe pork and beans are more glamourous then keeping our nation's defense on the right track.

STMLADY

I just ment that it must mean a lot more to manage a chain of grocery stores then it does to successfully manage contracts that pertain to our nation defense.

Nothing more nothing less folks.

STMLADY

Okay you got me I can't explain it.. Goodness I must be tired.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I find it hard to imagine running a grocery store chain gives McKay more credentials then Rocky has.

MDindef

I am very familiar with Rocky's work and his ethics. I have been privilaged to call him my friend. He's got my vote.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I noticed that Rocky favors fewer regulations. I'd be interested to know what specific regulations Rocky feels are unnecessary or burdensome.

STMLADY

Sorry I didn't reply sooner to you. But it was the day of the elections and I was manning the Golden Beach polls on Rocky's behalf. It is a shame we will never know what good he could have done for this county. I love this county and it is such a shame to see it turning into a place like Waldorf.

MDindef

Originally posted by STMLADY
Sorry I didn't reply sooner to you. But it was the day of the elections and I was manning the Golden Beach polls on Rocky's behalf. It is a shame we will never know what good he could have done for this county. I love this county and it is such a shame to see it turning into a place like Waldorf.
I agree...I would have liked to see him work. I hope he still stays involved somehow.

Now the question is, do we (conservative Rocky supporters) vote McKay in the General Election?

STMLADY

I have been told I should support him........will I, is another story. I am sorry I don't trust him. And thank God we are in a County that I have the freedom to say that.

I have heard several things said about him that I don't like and to support him is something that I find very hard to do.

the vote for County Commissioner President could be left blank or maybe I will write Rocky's name in anyway!

STMLADY

A wright in campaign! I have thought of that but I am not sure Rocky would go along with it so what if we just do it and get everyone else to do the same thing. I wonder what we have to do to do a write in campaign

Terp Fan

I, being a "conservative Rocky supporter", am going to wait and see what Tommy McKay has to say during the next few weeks.

I really do not have a good feel for his views on the issues. I believe most of the verbage coming from him and his campaign was "fluff" during the primaries. I don't want to hear catch phrases like "Children are our future" when the topic of education is discussed. I know that already. I want to hear specifics.

He has not done any volunteer government service work for this county in the past - he has no past record to look at. I question whether or not he is really a Republican since he changed parties the day before he filed his candidacy.

Rocky had a record. Based on decisions he made while on the Board of Appeals (ie. the Flattops), we knew he was conservative. Since McKay does not have this record, I want to hear what he will do in the future, if elected.

If I like what I hear from him, I will vote for him. Otherwise, I will probably not vote for either candidate.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm starting to smell something here. Who, exactly, voted for McKay? These forums tend to be a pretty good representation of the community. I haven't heard one person on here show support for McKay - it was all Rocky, all the time. So how did McKay get in?

STMLADY

It could have been because not that many people knew Rocky after all. And with McKay being a long standing name here in the county he could have won on that. Some of my friends are democrats but would have voted for Rocky. This is the down side of the election process.

Terp Fan

Am I sensing the possibility of a "write-in" campaign here? If so, I'll join!

If Rocky decides to do this, I will write his name in. I like that idea alot better than not voting.

Thanks guys! :cheers:

STMLADY

I will talk to Rocky on this folks! Keep your fingers crossed he will go along with this. We need him in there. If he says he will I will be the first to put my signs back up and will help get his signs back up as well.

Darlene

If Rocky decides to do this, I will write his name in. I like that idea alot better than not voting.

This idea has brought the first smile to my face since Tuesday!! I only pray that he realizes how much this county needs him.:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Terp Fan

Back to Reality

Hey guys. This sure was fun thinking about a write-in campaign and I would love to see it happen, but it won't.

First of all, a candidate trying a write-in campaign after losing a primary election is performing political suicide. It is like thumbing your nose at the political party that did not choose you. Rocky is a smart man - he knows this.

Second of all, the numbers don't support any reasonable chance at a write-in campaign victory in the general election. McKay's and Randall's names will be on the ballet and they are legitimate candidates since they won their respective primaries. To convince people to "buck the system " would be extremely difficult.

It should be an interesting next few months leading up to the general elections. Let's just see what the candidates have to say.

STMLADY

Okay I will back off because I know Rocky would not go for it anyway.

I guess the best approach to this is to just leave that part of the ballot blank. But who is to say people don't write Rocky's name in anyway.