I Fought for freedom of speech today!

mamatutu

mama to two

:yay: I will try to get over the bridge to St. Mary's to support this, but I so rarely go there. I nominate Huckabee for president; if that can't happen, let it be Zo! Do you think there is a chance? Just kidding; but, the situation in America is very serious, precarious, and down right nauseous :frown: I wish some fast food could fix it.

Last edited:

BOP

One of the posters to the ABC site had this to say:
"... [the] Chic-Fil-A guy simply said he’s in support of traditional marriage according to the Bible and said nothing harmful or hurtful, yet liberals are coming unglued as if he just insulted their mother. I don’t get it."

I think s/he nailed it dead-on. Mr. Cathy did not say that he would not hire gays. He didn't say he wouldn't serve gays. All he said (effectively) was that he didn't agree with their version of marriage. That's it. And yet, the way the nutballs are acting, you'd have thought that he said he was going to shoot every other gay person that walked in the door, or something.

Personally, I think this country has lost its collective frickin' mind. Do they not realize how nutty they sound?

MarieB

I liked a comment I saw this morning below a different article. It is basically the same belief that the President had before his position "evolved"

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
"... [the] Chic-Fil-A guy simply said he’s in support of traditional marriage according to the Bible and said nothing harmful or hurtful, yet liberals are coming unglued as if he just insulted their mother. I don’t get it."

I think s/he nailed it dead-on. Mr. Cathy did not say that he would not hire gays. He didn't say he wouldn't serve gays. All he said (effectively) was that he didn't agree with their version of marriage. That's it. And yet, the way the nutballs are acting, you'd have thought that he said he was going to shoot every other gay person that walked in the door, or something.

Personally, I think this country has lost its collective frickin' mind. Do they not realize how nutty they sound?

No. And that's the problem.

Last edited:
E

EmptyTimCup

Sarah Palin (@SarahPalinUSA)
7/27/12 21:52
Stopped by Chick-fil-A in The Woodlands to support a great business. fb.me/KM9ogGda

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
No. All the veterans on this forum, and there are a lot, who have served tours of duty in Iraq, Vietnam, Afghanistan -- they fought for free speech. :patriot:

Yes, they did, and still do.

And so do those who fight the legal battles at home, the newspaper reporters who dig for the truth and don't let themselves be coerced into revealing confidential sources, the authors who write books of truth (popular or not), the social studies teachers who teach the students about the Bill of Rights (when/why it was written and what it means), the librarians who stock their libraries with all sorts of writing from all sorts of viewpoints and adhere to the American Library Association's crede of "freedom to read" that goes hand-in-hand with freedom of speech.

Yes, those who go out and fight in combat (or support those who do) fight for free speech. But do not discount the actions of others who may also wage the good fight, but with pens (or keyboards and social media). Sometimes, you know, the pen actually is mightier than the sword.

:coffee:

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!

And so do those who fight the legal battles at home, the newspaper reporters who dig for the truth and don't let themselves be coerced into revealing confidential sources, the authors who write books of truth (popular or not), the social studies teachers who teach the students about the Bill of Rights (when/why it was written and what it means), the librarians who stock their libraries with all sorts of writing from all sorts of viewpoints and adhere to the American Library Association's crede of "freedom to read" that goes hand-in-hand with freedom of speech.

Yes, those who go out and fight in combat (or support those who do) fight for free speech. But do not discount the actions of others who may also wage the good fight, but with pens (or keyboards and social media). Sometimes, you know, the pen actually is mightier than the sword.

I agree. I support Chick-fil-A, even though I don't agree with them, but I don't think this silly campaign is the same. Everyone, on all sides (with the exception of the idiots who want Chick-fil-A BANNED), is exercising rights.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Any reason you don't have the ACLU on this list?

:elaine:

PsyOps

Pixelated
Will someone please define intolerance for me?

If you express your opinion about gays in a negative way you are not welcome in cities like Chicago, Boston, and DC.

Will someone tell me, if it’s not intolerance, what it is when you have these mayors saying that a certain group is not welcome in their city?

In my book, bigotry is bigotry.

Chick Fil-A still hires gays, they still serve gays. They do not discriminate against gays. You have the CEO expressing his opinion; THAT’S IT.

But express that opinion and you’re not welcome here.

Once again liberals shows what hypocrites they really are.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!

If you express your opinion about gays in a negative way you are not welcome in cities like Chicago, Boston, and DC.

Will someone tell me, if it’s not intolerance, what it is when you have these mayors saying that a certain group is not welcome in their city?

Chick Fil-A still hires gays, they still serve gays. They do not discriminate against gays. You have the CEO expressing his opinion; THAT’S IT.

Which definition do you want?

Do you want the dictionary definition?
in·tol·er·ance

   /ɪnˈtɒlərəns/ Show Spelled[in-tol-er-uhns] Show IPA
noun 1. lack of toleration; unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect contrary opinions or beliefs, persons of different races or backgrounds, etc.

2. incapacity or indisposition to bear or endure: intolerance to heat.

3. abnormal sensitivity or allergy to a food, drug, etc.

4. an intolerant act.
(source link: Intolerance | Define Intolerance at Dictionary.com)

OR

Do you want current common usage in the US political scene?

Def: What "we" accuse the "other guy" of being when "we" disagree with his opinion or view.

Personally, I prefer to go by the dictionary definition but I do believe that I might be in the minority on that one.:coffee:

MMM_donuts

I'm not a liberal but I have withdrawn my support for chickfila over this debacle. Until this I had no idea that Chickfila donated so much money to organizations that specifically lobby against gay marriage (so the opinion wasn't really "it" per se) I have no desire to give my hard earned money to someone that is just going to use it to fight against something I believe in and support. I hardly eat Chickfila anyways, although I will say that I think their food is tasty, so it was a really easy decision to simply omit them from my life.

I don't agree with the mayors that are attempting to prevent chickfila from moving into their towns and they definitely do not represent everyone that has made the personal choice to no longer eat there.

There seems to be so many double standards going and it is further complicated by the people that are letting their emotions get in the way of expressing and understanding the points made on each side.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?

With Roseanne Barr speakin out about it, what do you expect...:whistle:

E

EmptyTimCup

I'm not a liberal but I have withdrawn my support for chickfila over this debacle.

and I do not shop at Target, Pay money for James Cammeron Flicks, buy dixie chicks cds [are they even still around]

:buddies:

[also research rainbow cupcakes, and printing company that refused to take ghey money - ie turned down a job because the clients were queer]

PsyOps

Pixelated
I'm not a liberal but I have withdrawn my support for chickfila over this debacle. Until this I had no idea that Chickfila donated so much money to organizations that specifically lobby against gay marriage (so the opinion wasn't really "it" per se) I have no desire to give my hard earned money to someone that is just going to use it to fight against something I believe in and support. I hardly eat Chickfila anyways, although I will say that I think their food is tasty, so it was a really easy decision to simply omit them from my life.

I don't agree with the mayors that are attempting to prevent chickfila from moving into their towns and they definitely do not represent everyone that has made the personal choice to no longer eat there.

There seems to be so many double standards going and it is further complicated by the people that are letting their emotions get in the way of expressing and understanding the points made on each side.

As a citizen I am all for it. If you are angry at Chick Fil-A then it’s your right to not patronize the restaurant. But if we’re talking about tolerance, isn’t the gay community a group claiming their right to be validly recognized? If we’re talking about tolerance isn’t the Christian community a group claiming their right to have their opinion on the matter? Why do mayors of cities come out and take sides? As individuals we can take sides. As public officials you should not take sides and decide who isn’t welcome in your city. If we’re talking about tolerance EVERYONE should be welcome and let the people battle it out. If the people don’t like what Chick Fil-A isn’t doing then let them boycott it and put them out of business.

We should be fed up with public officials taking dictatorial positions on groups they disagree with. Emanuel, Menino, Gray and any other public person in a position of power have not right to discriminate who gets to be in their city and who doesn’t. Institutional bigotry is worse than individual bigotry. I hate using Nazis as a comparison in any discussion, but in reality this is exactly what Hitler did to the Jews. He took sides and decided who was welcome in his country; or in the world for that matter.

I disagree with any form of discrimination, but I am more for freedom of expression and letting the people battle it out. I care about everyone equally; but I can do this while still disagreeing with certain lifestyles. It should gravely concern all of us when people in positions of power start deciding who gets to stay and who doesn’t far more than the opinions of private citizens.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

You only know of donations to organizations the gay-right industry wants you to know of. If it possible there is selective reporting or making up of donations by this industry to further muddy the waters (remember, Cathy did not say he was anti-gay, he said he supports the traditional definition of marriage). If the only story you have heard is that he's anti-gay, you have listened to the wrong sources.