‘You should’ve served US better and died!’

Misfit

Lawful neutral
http://rt.com/usa/news/us-debt-collector-disabled-veteran-372/

A debt collector, angered that a disabled US Army veteran was living off of disability payments, told him he “should have died” in war instead of "taking advantage of" other Americans.

#Minnesota-based debt collection agency Gurstel Chargo is now facing a lawsuit for verbally abusing the Army vet over a $6,000 defaulted student loan, Courthouse News reports.

“If you would have served our country better you would not be a disabled veteran living off Social Security while the rest of us honest Americans work our asses off,” one of the agency’s debt collectors allegedly told the vet. “Too bad, you should have died.”

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Oh man, that gets me boiling...I lost my wife to PTSD for nearly 15 years, and while the VA disability helped keep us afloat...

I can't write anymore, I'm just too angry.

stockgirl

Stocki
From their website...

Statement of Gurstel Chargo
October 15, 2012

We learned late last week of the lawsuit filed by Michael Andrew Collier and Kim Collier-Dingman. Gurstel Chargo takes the allegations made in the lawsuit very seriously and we have immediately launched an internal investigation to determine the facts. We are extremely disturbed by the allegations stated in the Complaint, as they are contrary to the policies, practices and values of our firm. We expect that all Gurstel Chargo employees fully comply with all state and federal laws, and we thoroughly train our employees to perform their job in a lawful and respectful manner. Under no circumstances does our firm tolerate the type of conduct alleged in the Complaint.

The Complaint states that the wrongful remarks were made during a telephone call. We have requested from the attorney that filed the Complaint the phone number of the phone that Mr. Collier was allegedly on, an approximate date on which the call occurred, whether the person who made the alleged wrongful comments was male or female, all in order to help us to get to the truth about what occurred. We have been informed by Mr. Collier's attorney that he is unaware of any of this information. To date, we have discovered no information to substantiate the allegations, but our investigation continues. Should these allegations prove to be true, we will take immediate corrective and disciplinary action.

Home | Gurstel Chargo

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Aren't military disability payments paid out of Department of Defense and/or Department of Veterans Affairs but not Social Security?

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Aren't military disability payments paid out of Department of Defense and/or Department of Veterans Affairs but not Social Security?

If the payment is a disability retirement it is paid by the DoD. If the disability is determined to be service connected after the veteran separates, then it is paid for by the DVA.

My wife falls in the latter category. It took 3 years for the VA to decide that her injuries were in fact service related. I can not begin to count the number of times we had to provide the same documents. It took another 2 years to nail down the full amount of the disability.

The way the law is written, the separation payment she received upon being RIFed (Mr Clinton's "Peace Dividend") in 1994 was deemed by the DVA retroactively to have been a lump sum disability payment. My wife did not receive any monies from the VA until that sum was paid back.

For 9 of her 15 years out of work, we survived on my retail pay and our savings.

I rarely get this personal, but this story...

mamatutu

mama to two
If the payment is a disability retirement it is paid by the DoD. If the disability is determined to be service connected after the veteran separates, then it is paid for by the DVA.

My wife falls in the latter category. It took 3 years for the VA to decide that her injuries were in fact service related. I can not begin to count the number of times we had to provide the same documents. It took another 2 years to nail down the full amount of the disability.

The way the law is written, the separation payment she received upon being RIFed (Mr Clinton's "Peace Dividend") in 1994 was deemed by the DVA retroactively to have been a lump sum disability payment. My wife did not receive any monies from the VA until that sum was paid back.

For 9 of her 15 years out of work, we survived on my retail pay and our savings.

I rarely get this personal, but this story...

Nine days, and counting, right? I hope your trip is safe and that you and your wife have the best life ever here. Did you really contemplate and use your logic before you chose to move here. j/k. Take care, Robin

Edit: And why the #### does the government make it so hard for deserving veterans to get the compenstion they need? Where are our Founding Fathers when we need them? I know that answer; they are dead. But, for now, a :huggy:

Last edited:
C

czygvtwkr

Debt collectors treat everybody like that, nothing really special here. What they said is ugly but really when do we start getting sued for insulting people? I think that is a slippery road down the elimination of freedom of speech road.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
As I indicated above, my wife and I went through some rough times. We had late payments, some of which went into collections.

NEVER, was I treated with any such rudeness.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I hope the courts sock it to them.

The sad thing is that it will probably be determined that he was within the guidelines of the law. Banks and their debt collectors have a lot more lattidude than you think.

What I hope happens is that the suggestion under your post and then the cops that have to investigate are vets.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Debt collectors treat everybody like that, nothing really special here. What they said is ugly but really when do we start getting sued for insulting people? I think that is a slippery road down the elimination of freedom of speech road.

It's a great way to set off someone who is probably dealing with PTSD
But if he does go off, then the cops can come and shoot him in the head for being an unruly delinguent.