Dahlia's and Freesia's

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I'm gonna plant a bunch 'o dahlia and freesia bulbs I picked up ... they say "full sun to part shade" ... should I err on the side of caution and choose a semi-shady spot for 'em, or do you all (based on experience) think they'll do okay in full sun?

And when I say "full sun" I mean from sunrise to sunset ... no shade.

TIA :smile:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Full sun is great. I had mine in full sun all day and they loved it.

One thing about dahlias - they don't overwinter. You're going to have to dig them up in the fall and store them in a cool place over the winter. I haven't grown freesias yet, so I don't know if they're winter-hardy.

crabcake

Originally posted by jazz lady
Full sun is great. I had mine in full sun all day and they loved it.

in the ground or a planter/pot? I'm shooting for the ground. I think the box says if you mulch 'em late fall, they can stay in the ground. If not, they'll be a one-year wonder b/c I ain't diggin' up any bulbs to store 'em and get 'em out and replant them. I'm too darn lazy for that mess. :biggrin:

Put them wherever you want. They will THRIVE in full-full sun, and grow just as well in partial shade. Atleast the Dahlias will, never planted fresias before. Like Jazz said, you have to dig up the dalia bulbs every fall. Don't store them in a plastic bag over the winter, they will rot.
ask me how I know:stupid:
They will do fine in a paper grocery bag or cardboard xerox box.

crabcake

Originally posted by cariblue
TC, this is not a recommendation. Outside of that single dahlia the only thing I know about them is that I kill them.

so your input was pointless and you are just trying to up your post count, is that it? :shrug:

:neener: :huggy: I just had to say that! :killingme

Originally posted by tatercake
in the ground or a planter/pot? I'm shooting for the ground. I think the box says if you mulch 'em late fall, they can stay in the ground. If not, they'll be a one-year wonder b/c I ain't diggin' up any bulbs to store 'em and get 'em out and replant them. I'm too darn lazy for that mess. :biggrin:
Put them in the ground and then in the fall put a big ol pile of mulch over them and remove it in the spring, you may get lucky. (but I doubt it)

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I love Freesia's, they smell like Froot Loops. You have to pull the bulbs up before winter though. I learned the hard way.

I would pull the dahlia's too. A lady at the gardens has them every year, they get bigger and better. The time she couldn't get to pull them they all died.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by huntr1
Put them in the ground and then in the fall put a big ol pile of mulch over them and remove it in the spring, you may get lucky. (but I doubt it)

:yeahthat: I found out the hard way about dahlias. Mine were well-mulched in like that and still died...except for the lone one that was almost under the propane tank. For some reason, it's the only one that didn't die. :lmao:

crabcake

well dayum :frown: guess I'll be yanking bulbs in the fall unless I forget ... thanks guys!

so the consensus is "full sun is okay" for both?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by tatercake
so the consensus is "full sun is okay" for both?

Yes. I just looked up freesia and they love the sun too.

You're going to have to dig them up in the fall, too. They're only hardy to zone 8.

Last edited: