College people - help me!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Okay, I'm going to admit right off the bat that I'm an idiot. Now that that's out of the way, I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with:

What is the difference between a graduate student and an undergrad? STOP THAT LAUGHING!!! Is a grad student just, like, a Senior or is it someone who is going for more than a 4 year degree?

Also, when you or your kid went to college, did the parent pay the bills or did they send the kid the money and make them responsible for it?

And how tough was it to work while going to college? Larry doesn't want Kyle to work her freshman year, I say kids do it all the time.

One more: Student loans. Saddle her with some of the expense or pay it? I don't really want her facing a bunch of debt right after she graduates BUT I also feel she'll take it more seriously if she is financially obligated.

TIA for any suggestions or advice!

BuddyLee

Football addict
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Okay, I'm going to admit right off the bat that I'm an idiot. Now that that's out of the way, I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with:

What is the difference between a graduate student and an undergrad? STOP THAT LAUGHING!!! Is a grad student just, like, a Senior or is it someone who is going for more than a 4 year degree?

Also, when you or your kid went to college, did the parent pay the bills or did they send the kid the money and make them responsible for it?

And how tough was it to work while going to college? Larry doesn't want Kyle to work her freshman year, I say kids do it all the time.

One more: Student loans. Saddle her with some of the expense or pay it? I don't really want her facing a bunch of debt right after she graduates BUT I also feel she'll take it more seriously if she is financially obligated.

Id make her/him pay the student loans. What im doing right now is paying for about 66% of my college payments and my parents are fronting the other 33%. We pretty much split the book money. We get our books mostly from EBAY so that we do not have to pay the top dollar prices at the school store.

Going to college and working a job is tough. It really depends on what type of person you are I suppose. I work best under a lot of stress. When im constantly busy I will get most things done. However, when I have nothing to do I tend to put things off. Having a job gives you more responsibility and keeps you out of trouble as well. If I did'nt have a job I bet id be drinking like there was no tomorrow and pissing my college work away. It is tough but so is college and if you can get over this bump you can get over anything.:yay:

SmallTown

Football season!
I received students loans which I were responsible for paying out of college. I also worked some of the time while in college, but mainly I just worked like crazy in the summer and tried not to work during the semester.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Is a grad student just, like, a Senior or is it someone who is going for more than a 4 year degree?
The second. I am a grad student working on a Master's degree. Actually, tomorrow is my very last day as a grad student. I turn in my last final tomorrow and I will finally be DONE. :diva:

I put myself through college via student loans for my AA and out of my pocket for the BS. On the student loans, they gave me the money up front and I was responsible for paying my bills.

It's tough - I admit it. I've worked through ALL of my years of college. But it's also a very valuable learning tool on time management. I still fail miserably at times (hence being up now finishing my final) but you learn there are consequences to your actions.

See what I said above. It's okay to help them out some, but I think if you are held responsible for the money prepares you for the real world. I faithfully paid back $54.52 every month until I paid my loans off. :yay:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Re: Re: College people - help me!

Originally posted by jazz lady
The second. I am a grad student working on a Master's degree. Actually, tomorrow is my very last day as a grad student. I turn in my last final tomorrow and I will finally be DONE. :diva:

I put myself through college via student loans for my AA and out of my pocket for the BS. On the student loans, they gave me the money up front and I was responsible for paying my bills.

It's tough - I admit it. I've worked through ALL of my years of college. But it's also a very valuable learning tool on time management. I still fail miserably at times (hence being up now finishing my final) but you learn there are consequences to your actions.

See what I said above. It's okay to help them out some, but I think if you are held responsible for the money prepares you for the real world. I faithfully paid back $54.52 every month until I paid my loans off. :yay:

Good job jazz!:clap:

What is your major?:confused: Can I have a job where ever your working:confused:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Re: College people - help me!

Originally posted by BuddyLee
Good job jazz!:clap:

What is your major?:confused: Can I have a job where ever your working:confused:

Thank you. I've worked hard for it, believe me.

Information Systems. Job, huh? What kind of computer skills (other than this forum :jet: ) do you have?

BuddyLee

Football addict
Re: Re: Re: Re: College people - help me!

Thank you. I've worked hard for it, believe me.

Information Systems. Job, huh? What kind of computer skills (other than this forum :jet: ) do you have?

Information Systems eh.

Whats a computer?:shrug:

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
Originally posted by SmallTown
I received students loans which I were responsible for paying out of college. I also worked some of the time while in college, but mainly I just worked like crazy in the summer and tried not to work during the semester.

:yeahthat:

i lucked out and got several scholarships based on my grades (even got one from a company that was a rival to the company my dad worked for :) ) that covered for all tuition and books. Parents paid for room and board (board only if i cooked the meals myself, not if i go out). worked my azz off during summer working for the Department of Transportation... enough to cover all year.

best advice i can give... apply for any and all scholarships, all they can say in no.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: College people - help me!

I might take Cari's advice and apply for a job on base some where.

I work on base, too. What are you looking to start out doing?

BuddyLee

Football addict
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: College people - help me!

I work on base, too. What are you looking to start out doing?

Well im hoping for an internship somewhere that has some of my interests such as history, politics, sociology, philosophy, government, ect....

But this is just a hope. I think I could deal with almost anything else but SFW right now as long as the pay is half decent and the hours are not bad.

:ohwell:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: College people - help me!

Well im hoping for an internship somewhere that has some of my interests such as history, politics, sociology, philosophy, government, ect....
There are a LOT of internship positions available with the federal government. You need to go to the HRO department and start looking there.

Also, many contractors (my company included) have intern positions. You may want to look there, too.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: College people - help me!

There are a LOT of internship positions available with the federal government. You need to go to the HRO department and start looking there.

Also, many contractors (my company included) have intern positions. You may want to look there, too.

How would I even get started?:confused: Where would I go?:confused:

Cari told me to go to the building that is at gate #2 across from Linda's cafe, Lexington park firehouse, and the thrift store.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: College people - help me!

How would I even get started?:confused: Where would I go?:confused:

Cari told me to go to the building that is at gate #2 across from Linda's cafe, Lexington park firehouse, and the thrift store.

That is correct. It is called the Frank Knox building. Go to the entrance on 235 past the right turn towards Linda's Cafe. As you enter the building and before you go through the second set of doors, there is a door on your immediate left. Go in there and they can help you.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: College people - help me!

That is correct. It is called the Frank Knox building. Go to the entrance on 235 past the right turn towards Linda's Cafe. As you enter the building and before you go through the second set of doors, there is a door on your immediate left. Go in there and they can help you.

Thanks alot.:yay: :smile:

When you are getting your bachelor's degree, you are an undergrad. Masters and above are graduate degrees. My parent's paid for my college (tuition, books & room) for my BS degree. If I had wanted to go to grad school, it woulda been on me. As far as student loans go, you could do what my boss is doing with her kids. Parent's are paying the student loans until the kids are out and employed (in their field, not part time BS). If they don't actively look for a job, they have to start paying right away, while living at home & paying rent.

Pete

Repete
AS I used Navy tuition assistance for 75% then paid the rest out of pocket.

BS converted to GI Bill and used that.

My first PHD I used what was left of GI Bill.

Second PHD I got a fellowship at Yale.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Vrai, tried scholarships? Buddy of mine got a few thousand for his kid from places like pepsi & the American Legion. Google it, you'll find plenty. You could even go the (democrat) way and get financial aid.

K

Kizzy

Originally posted by Pete
AS I used Navy tuition assistance for 75% then paid the rest out of pocket.

BS converted to GI Bill and used that.

My first PHD I used what was left of GI Bill.

Second PHD I got a fellowship at Yale.

cough cough **bull$hit** cough cough

I worked full-time (shift work) and went to college the 1st - 2 years to earn my Assoc. degree. The last 2 years, I still worked full-time (mostly days), went to college with 2 kids ages 1 and 4, and since the hubby works shift work he really couldn't help much.

Vrai, it isn't my child but IMO she should work part-time 20-25 hours a week to contribute and I agree that maybe some of it should be on student loan. It can be done, but she shouldn't get a free ride, believe it or not, many employers do look at working and going to college as a plus.