Photoshop

willie

Anyone use Photoshop elements? I've got a question about reducing the picture size and losing quality. What's the best way to do it?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Haven't used Elements, although I use regular Photoshop.

For printing, I save my photos as TIFFs because that format has a decent compression feature.

For JPEGs intended for the Web, I look at each photo individually, and increase the compression until just before the image quality starts to suffer. The ideal amount of compression is different for each photo. JPEG photos with lots of detail produce larger files than photos of, say, blue skies.

I hope this helps.

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by willie
Anyone use Photoshop elements? I've got a question about reducing the picture size and losing quality. What's the best way to do it?

For you

Hope that helps.

Photoshop has one of the best resizing algorithms around, IMO. I've never reduced and image in photoshop and lost anything more than a negligable amount of quality.

But then, I've never worked in a mission critical image.

willie

A big THANK YOU! I've been doing it all wrong and taking longer doing it.
That site is written to be understood, it's bookmarked.

Last edited:

lucaswebco

With most photo editing software, you will lose some resolution when changing sizes. With reduction, you have to resharpen the picture back to its previous sharpness. Use the sharpening tool an you should be able to get it looking good again.