Where to look at and buy propane tanks?

abcxyz

Where in Charles/St.Marys/Calvert can one do this?

Looking to purchase an above ground tank but not sure where I can go check them out at to do some measurements.

Looking for some thing smaller like 30-60 gallon. I have a 100 gallon now (420 LBS) and want some thing smaller that I can get filled on my own instead of home delivery.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch

Looking to purchase an above ground tank but not sure where I can go check them out at to do some measurements.

Looking for some thing smaller like 30-60 gallon. I have a 100 gallon now (420 LBS) and want some thing smaller that I can get filled on my own instead of home delivery.

I believe they sell them at Lowes

Nowhere local that I have found. I lug a 100 pound tank back and forth to get filled. Not so much fun. You might call Three mules welding, but he didn't have them when I went looking. Here is one I might get.

Worthington Cylinder Propane Tank — 40-Lbs., Type 1 OPD Valve, Model# 294235 | Propane Tanks Equipment| Northern Tool + Equipment

Costs more than the 100# one at Lowes, but at least I shouldn't throw my back out wrestling it into place.

Gooseneck

There is a Mennonite who sells propane tanks off Parsons Mill Road in Loveville.

It's a dirt road opposite the Loveville Leather sign. Go all the way back to the grocery store and you should see the tanks. No idea of the prices.

abcxyz

Thanks for the info:

Lowes: 100LB tank is too tall
Three Mules: 100LB tank is too tall, wasn't open to smaller at the time so not sure what else they have
40LB: only holds 9.4 gallons, too small but re-thinking that one.

The 200LB/60G tank (hold 48 gallons) looks to be ideal but can't see to find them.

A few 40LB tanks may be the answer but was hoping not to have to have 5 tanks to the job of 1.

Going to check Tractor Supply (link above to NT made me think of them) today and then maybe Loveville guy if that doesn't work out.

Three mules welding. Got rid of my 300lb tank and switched to a 100lb. Bought a full tank for $229 in October (tank + propane)...if you have one to turn in it's $79 to exchange for a full one, or $79 to fill your old one. At least back in October...might be cheaper now.
Mechanicsville or Great Mills Rd.

abcxyz

Full 100LB tanks were $164 @ Three Mules this past Friday. Lowes is $129 empty.

Beyond not having a contract, what is the advantage of hauling around your own tanks ?

My main reason is my tank is an eyesore and it is not worth having a tiny tank filled on home delivery.

Tank rental: $75/years since I don't use over 200 gallons
Delivery fee per trip: $7
Higher propane price for not owning my own tank: .50 a gallon
Higher price if not on an auto delivery contract so they can stick me when it is high: .50 gallon

Aero Energy delivered some thing like 2.3 gallons to me in March and then 2.2 gallons in July, at around $25 a trip because of the minimum charges. Another thread on here last week made me think about this- Aero was listed at $4.35 a gallon where Suburban was $2.85 (going from memory, feel free to search the exact information).

My new game plan is to use 1-2 grill tanks (20LB/4Gallons) for cooking for most of the year and 1-2 100LB/20Gallon tanks in the Fall/Winter for the fireplace.

Easy to handle, cheapest over all but main issue of an eyesore tank solved because the little grill tank can be hidden better.

Last edited:

officeguy

Higher price if not on an auto delivery contract so they can stick me when it is high: .50 gallon

Aero Energy delivered some thing like 2.3 gallons to me in March and then 2.2 gallons in July, at around $25 a trip because of the minimum charges. Another thread on here last week made me think about this- Aero was listed at $4.35 a gallon where Suburban was $2.85 (going from memory, feel free to search the exact information).

Yeah, that delivery contract stinks. I have my contract with United (which I guess is now part of Suburban), they only come when I call and the only surchage was a buck fifty for fuel. Just paid the bill this week.

Yeah, that delivery contract stinks. I have my contract with United (which I guess is now part of Suburban), they only come when I call and the only surchage was a buck fifty for fuel. Just paid the bill this week.

So no delivery charges or ppg difference with them if you have your own tanks and/or only have a few gallons delivered?

Full 100LB tanks were $164 @ Three Mules this past Friday. Lowes is $129 empty.

My main reason is my tank is an eyesore and it is not worth having a tiny tank filled on home delivery.

My new game plan is to use 1-2 grill tanks (20LB/4Gallons) for cooking for most of the year and 1-2 100LB/20Gallon tanks in the Fall/Winter for the fireplace.

Easy to handle, cheapest over all but main issue of an eyesore tank solved because the little grill tank can be hidden better.

NICE. My 100lb tank just ran out last night. I'll get it refilled and buy a second tank for standby.

officeguy

So no delivery charges or ppg difference with them if you have your own tanks and/or only have a few gallons delivered?

I dont know what they would charge someone else and I dont have them come out just to top it off for a couple of Gal. It's a 100Gal tank that I own and I call them when it is almost empty.