Chicklet Story

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My daughter and I were out playing ball yesterday evening and there was a bunch of clover in the grass. She picks me a clover flower and brings it to me as a gift.

I told her if she listened really close she could probably hear the Who's and Cindy-Loo Who in Whosville just like Horton did in the movie. (Dr. Seuss in case you are wondering) So she holds it really close to her ear and I make really little "who" sounds and she so fell for it.

It was rather cute, she had to call Daddy and tell him all about hearing the Who's in the clover.

We ended up putting it in water so they wouldn't dry out and she made me bring them in last night so they wouldn't get cold outside. :smile:

Shortly after that I am out on the brick walkway between the deck and garage and she points out a baby snake about a foot away from me. :yikes: Surprisingly, I didn't totally freak. It was only about 7- 8 inches long and gray with black rings. Was it a black snake?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
That's a cute story. I've never seen a baby black snake. It's probably a garden snake. I've found a couple this year while cleaning out my gardens.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Sharon
That's a cute story. I've never seen a baby black snake. It's probably a garden snake. I've found a couple this year while cleaning out my gardens.

I am not sure what kind of snake it was and it happened so fast. I called for the cat and she came a running and I grabbed her and put her down by where the snake was, but it was already gone. Otherwise, she would have had a new toy. :lol:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by kwillia

Don't hurt it! It will keep the copperheads away...
Don't worry RR, the king snake doesn't live in MD.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by kwillia
Bullhockey. I have several living in my yard.
Really? According to your link their range is in the desert.
Throughout the Sonoran, Mojave and Chihuahuan deserts south into Baja and Mexico.

There are numerous subspecies and variations of the Common Kingsnake -- including the California Kingsnake (L. g. californiae), the Arizona Desert Kingsnake (L.g. splendida) the Yuma Kingsnake (L.g. yumensis) and the Black Kingsnake of Mexico (L.g. nigrita).

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Chicklet Story

Originally posted by cattitude
I believe baby black snakes are marked quite similarly to a copperhead.
Thanks Catt. I just kinda froze and lost my breath. I'm just glad I didn't step on the little MFer. :lol:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
:huggy: for RR ... I share your displeasure for creepy-crawlies and slitherers. I was out mowing last summer in the side yard and the DQ was playing in the back yard ... I'm mowing along, and see a big "slitherer" in the grass ... guessing about 14-18 inches long. :yikes: Scared the shiznit outta me! I hauled hiney on the Troy Bilt back to the house, grabbed the DQ and didn't mow for two weeks. :frown:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by tatercake
:huggy: for RR ... I share your displeasure for creepy-crawlies and slitherers. I was out mowing last summer in the side yard and the DQ was playing in the back yard ... I'm mowing along, and see a big "slitherer" in the grass ... guessing about 14-18 inches long. :yikes: Scared the shiznit outta me! I hauled hiney on the Troy Bilt back to the house, grabbed the DQ and didn't mow for two weeks. :frown:

R ran over one and killed it last year. I had forgotten all about it until Buglet brought it up yesterday after the snake incident. She's got a memory like a steel trap. :lol:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by RoseRed
I called for the cat and she came a running and I grabbed her and put her down by where the snake was, but it was already gone.

GD Rose... trying to kill your cat? Sure hope the next one isn't venomous... :yikes:

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by sleuth14
GD Rose... trying to kill your cat? Sure hope the next one isn't venomous... :yikes:

My cat has caught snakes a couple of times that I know of. Two were baby copperheads, one of which she brought into the house :yikes: She has also caught baby rabbits, moles, lizzards, birds, mice, & butterflies.

She is the Great Black Huntress! :biggrin: