Straw Cups

JabbaJawz

Be about it
How in God's name do I thoroughly clean the straws on these suckers?? I'm not talking about the small straws, but the ones that are bigger, chunky and ridged. There's got to be some sort of contraption out there to clean these things. :confused: I put them in the dishwasher, but it doesn't help. I'm ready to pitch them all, but figured someone may have a helpful hint...

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
I end up soaking them in bleach. Not for too long though, it'll dissolve the plastic eventually. I don't give them to the kids too often except for water.

Nanny Pam

Originally posted by PFgal
How in God's name do I thoroughly clean the straws on these suckers?? I'm not talking about the small straws, but the ones that are bigger, chunky and ridged. There's got to be some sort of contraption out there to clean these things. :confused: I put them in the dishwasher, but it doesn't help. I'm ready to pitch them all, but figured someone may have a helpful hint...

I hate those things, but they do have to be cleaned. I got an old wire hanger and the wire cutters and cut it. Then I use the wire to push a cotton ball thru the straw. I keep the wire, for the next time.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
There are some bottle cleaner/brush things you can buy that have a big, wide end with a scrubby brush, and the other end is more narrow with maybe a half-inch brush on the end of it. If you look in the baby food section of the grocery store, near the sippy cups and bottles, you can probably find 'em there. :smile:

Dymphna

Originally posted by tatercake
There are some bottle cleaner/brush things you can buy that have a big, wide end with a scrubby brush, and the other end is more narrow with maybe a half-inch brush on the end of it. If you look in the baby food section of the grocery store, near the sippy cups and bottles, you can probably find 'em there. :smile:
I had one of those. Even the narrow end is too fat :ohwell:

crabcake

Originally posted by Dymphna
I had one of those. Even the narrow end is too fat :ohwell:

if the straws pf is talking about are the same ones I have (rippled and about a 1/3 inch wide) they should work (the brush compacts inside the straw).

otherwise, toss 'em and just buy a box of regular throw away straws.

crabcake

Originally posted by Dymphna
Anyone ever try pipe cleaners? That might work. :shrug:

they would probably be too small for what she has. :confused:

if it's a cheapy regular plastic straw, i don't bother washing it; i just toss 'em in the trash. they're only like a buck a box at the store.

Dymphna

Originally posted by tatercake
they would probably be too small for what she has. :confused:

if it's a cheapy regular plastic straw, i don't bother washing it; i just toss 'em in the trash. they're only like a buck a box at the store.
I know what she's talking about, but I was thinking wiggling it around might work. They also make fatter pipe cleaner thingys for crafts and stuff.