New Gardener Here

watercolor

yeah yeah
So, since I am moving into a place, and was given the clearance to have my own garden- I am going to ask a few questions. I got someone who is going to help me with the actual planting and getting the soil ready.

First, a little background.

First comes first. I will be diggin up grass. So to just get that outta the way

The first side I have to plant on, gets FULL sun all the time, 7 days a week. So, I want to find some full plants and flowers to plant there. I want color and alot of it.

The front side of the house gets partial sun in the early mornings and reflections off the side.

I have no clue on what flowers do good here, and what I need to do to cultivate the soils.

I would like some scented geraniums(sp) to keep the skeets away- but I dont know if they will like the winter in the ground, will they? I am really not wanting to have to re-pot them through the winter and then re-plant. ya know what Im sayin?

I love marigolds, and mums and love color.

I was thinking of putting some rose bushes on the side of the house because I have heard that they like sun alot. :smile:

Thanks for any tips, or flowers or whatever. :) I do have a green thumb so I will be pretty good in that department.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
You've come to the right place to get a load of manure! :biggrin:

You're right, roses like lots of sun. I you want some annuals, I'd put in zinnias and marigolds. Mums should do alright too. Don't forget to leave room near the back for some tomato plants to hide. Then you'll have fresh produce in addition to beauty.

I also like low maintenance bulb style plants like day lillies, crocus (although they're done for the year) and daffodils (same as the crocus, done).

Have fun with it!

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Pick up a copy of Better Homes & Gardens' Plant and Shrub book at Lowes. I got one and it helped tremendously in terms of preparing the soil, what plants/shrubs like what in terms of light, etc.

It's worth the $20. :yay: You could also probably check one out at the library.