Wife Swap

Toxick

Splat
I just read that there's a new show coming out on ABC this fall called Wife Swap.

And after the whole Massechusetts thing this week...

I think it's now safe to admit that Western Society has lost all respect for the institution of marriage.

Rome falls.

J

justhangn

I'll tell ya what, I'll just give you my wife and we'll call it even.:shrug:

K

Kain99

I remember hearing about this show..... So what's the deal? Do they swap everything or just the daily ritual stuff?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by Kain99
I remember hearing about this show..... So what's the deal? Do they swap everything or just the daily ritual stuff?

That's my question. From what I read, sounds like the show doesn't involve the "wifely duty," as another generation of women was told about sex.

Toxick

Splat

The story that I read didn't give any details. And I'm not about to google "Wife Swap" while I'm at work.

It is possible that it's a perfectly innocent show, and I'm shooting my mouth off with no basis in fact. However, the phrase "Wife Swap" has certain connotations, and even if the show is plutonic and innocent, calling it what they did is passive disrespect, IMO.

K

Kain99

I Agree on the passive disrespect note, however - T.V. is all about ratings and most Americans love dirt. :wink:

Toxick

Splat
I Agree on the passive disrespect note, however - T.V. is all about ratings and most Americans love dirt. :wink:

Don't get me wrong, I'm the one who was defending Howard Stern not so long ago. (Even though I can't stand him).

I just think it's a sad commentary.

I much prefer the innocent cruelty of Simon Cowell, or the disturbing exploitation in the Swan.

:biggrin:

Pete

Repete
Every single one of those "Reality TV" shows kills brain cells. This is Great Britan paying us back for the Revolutionary war. :ohwell:

Vince

Originally posted by Pete
Every single one of those "Reality TV" shows kills brain cells. This is Great Britan paying us back for the Revolutionary war. :ohwell:
:yeahthat: Reality TV sucks. Read a book.

K

Kain99

I think Reality T.V. is healthy! It's important to spend mindless time just being silly and laughing.

If you spend every waking moment being serious, life can start to really suck. :biggrin:

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by cariblue
:yeahthat: There is nothing realistic about reality TV. People don't do that sh!t in real life.

...As opposed to other TV shows where they behave exactly like normal people in every day situations.

sifl

American Idol, arguably the highest rated reality show, draws about 14% of households with televisions. I wouldn't use those statistics to declare that 'Americans love dirt'. Sounds like only a small portion of America is stupid enough to park in front of this garbage.

K

Kain99

Originally posted by sifl
American Idol, arguably the highest rated reality show, draws about 14% of households with televisions. I wouldn't use those statistics to declare that 'Americans love dirt'. Sounds like only a small portion of America is stupid enough to park in front of this garbage.
You convinced me.... America hates dirt. :wink:

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by sifl
Sounds like only a small portion of America is stupid enough to park in front of this garbage.

No smaller than the percentage America who feel it necessary to sit around making broad sweeping judgemental comments.

Toxick

Splat
Wife Swap (fall):
A reality series, based on a hit British show, about two moms who swap families for 10 days and must first follow the rules of the new house, and then implement their own lifestyle for the rest of the time.

Doesn't sound so horrifying.

I still think that a better name could have been found. My guess is that the name was chosen for its shock value. Welcome to the Lowest Common Denominator.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Those who are offended by the name of this program, What would you have named it?
I'm not offended by it, but I think 'Trading Spouses' would have worked too.

Toxick

Splat
Those who are offended by the name of this program, What would you have named it?

I'm not offended by it, as such. And I think they have the right to name it whatever they want.

However, wife-swapping has certain implications and negative connotations, and by naming it like that it appears to me that they are at the very least passively endorsing it, and as I mentioneod in my very first post, it appears that the institution of marriage is disrespected on a certain level.

I would have called it something like "New Home" or "Family Makeover" or something equally inane.

Coming up with groovy catchy titles, however, is not anything close to my forte.