window treatment (glass painting, staining, and/or frosting). A little help???

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
We really need a "Home and Garden" forum rather than a "Gardening and Landscaping" forum.

Anyhoo...

I have one of those ugly doors with the big-azz oval window on it... you know the big oval that's like 5 or 6 feet tall...

Well... it doesn't really provide much in the way of privacy. I'm not gonna mount a vertical blind on my door... and I'm not gonna try a roman shade either...

I thought I'd find some pattern that'll stick to the window... then spray the window with some kinda glass frosting spray... or maybe some kind of glass paint...something semi-permanent...Then you'd peel the pattern away and it leaves some clear parts to see out of...

Anyone ever done anything like this?? Can you recommend the materials, a place to find the materials I'd need, along with some kind of interesting pattern/stencil that will stick to a window (where would I get it?)??

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Mix Epsom Salt with stale beer until the beer can hold no more. Then, apply the mixture to the glass with a sponge. When it dries the window will be frosted.

C

czygvtwkr

Get some glass etching acid at Michaels and etch your pattern in.

CMC122

Go Braves!
I've used the spray stuff from Michaels to frost some windows. They have some cool stencils.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
You could always buy and install a new door without the big ugly oval that will remain no matter what you do to the glass already there.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Ken King
You could always buy and install a new door without the big ugly oval that will remain no matter what you do to the glass already there.

:spank: trying to do the most cost-effective thing here KK... no sense throwing away a perfectly good door...

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by sleuth
:spank: trying to do the most cost-effective thing here KK... no sense throwing away a perfectly good door...
Cost effective or cheap? If your door is already ugly what do you think it will look like after trying to decorate it?

I think the cheapest way to resolve your privacy issue would be to use a simple curtain. I would buy a new door and get the look I want, but that's me.

C

czygvtwkr

Easy way to solve the privacy issue.....stand infront of the door naked for a few days after that nobody would dare look in its direction....privacy problem solved.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Ken King
Cost effective or cheap? If your door is already ugly what do you think it will look like after trying to decorate it?

I think the cheapest way to resolve your privacy issue would be to use a simple curtain. I would buy a new door and get the look I want, but that's me.

I think it's ugly as is... I'm looking for a way to make it look better...
I just gave it a fresh coat of paint and polished the brass kickplate... cleaned some of the grime off the window... already looks a ton better.

I also painted the trim white to match the porch railing instead of the wood varnish that was there.

I'm looking for cheap... because I'm only wanting to fix this place up enough to make it look like new when it comes time to sell. I don't want to sink a bunch of money into things that won't really increase the value all that much.. like a new door.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by czygvtwkr
Easy way to solve the privacy issue.....stand infront of the door naked for a few days after that nobody would dare look in its direction....privacy problem solved.

I already did that... but then some younguns moved in next door. I don't wanna go to jail. :wink: