Spot on fly stuff?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Anyone used this? I Just got some to try. I've started using the Repel-X stuff too, but GEESH it's EXPENSIVE....
Hopefully, i won't have too many in the new place, I'm going to get some chickens....to keep the population down. :barf:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
:yikes: NO!! I just started using it yesterday!! How long does that take to happen???
Only my palamino QH gelding bleeds...poor guy. He always gets the stupid horseflies in his sheath too.....

Cowgirl

The farm where I used to work used the spot on fly stuff...it seemed to work fairly well. One tip, don't put it on their front legs because if they rub their head on their legs, it can get into their eyes...we stopped using it on their front legs b/c of this. Appy, I've noticed that Repel-X makes their skin peel too...I've used Tri-Tec before...seems to work well and it smells good! My donkey gets flies like crazy...
Have you also used those disposable fly bags? Those work like a charm.... Make sure you follow directions and put them about 4 ft. off the ground in an area AWAY from where your horses are. It helps if the bags are in the sun too. Those suckers get filled to the top with flies....smells pretty nasty.

Cowgirl

Hey Appy, one of my friends stopped by your place yesterday...he loved the cria and he said your foals looked really good!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I used to get this pink stuff that smelled like bubble gum from Southern States that was made for horses but I used on my dogs. It was the best stuff for keeping the flies off of their ears.

Anybody know the name of it and if they still sell it? :confused:

Cowgirl

That was SWAT...they still sell it. It also comes in clear too...just in case you don't want a neon pink horse/dog! :dude:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Cowgirl
That was SWAT...they still sell it. It also comes in clear too...just in case you don't want a neon pink horse/dog! :dude:

Yes, the pink always drew stares from the other dogs. :lol:

I'll shoot up there this weekend and get some of the clear. Thanks!

James White

Have a nuisance?Im 4 hire
appyday,
I knew we should have disposed better of the snipes,sorry about the flies.

On fly spray,why do yall put this stuff on the horses,many products,actaully draw the flies to them (just look at the ingredeints,especially the listed inert/inactive ingredients)

There is a great fly control bait out there,that is granular,that will draw them in and kill every darn one of them.Not sure if yall can buy it though,I will have to check regs on its uses.

Cowgirl

Hey Appy
Nick and I went to elementary school together...then we went to college together, but I just graduated. :diva: :biggrin: I used to work at Cammack Nursery, so I've sold feed and stuff to you before, but I haven't seen you in a while. You probably wouldn't recognize me. Love Nick to death...he's probably going to be the one helping me trailer my animals up to VT...he's either going to pull the trailer or the Uhaul.

James, there is stuff called Golden Malrin fly bait that Southern States sells...is that what you're talking about? I've heard that's pretty good. The thing I don't like about the spray on fly spray is that the flies still have to land on the horses...so they still stomp and swat...

James White

Have a nuisance?Im 4 hire
Not sure if Southern states sells this,But many of my rancher friends around the US,especially in the west ,sware by this product.

Here is link

http://www.ublcorp.com/aginsecticide.html

Golden Maldrin...is some natsy stuff,I would stay clear of it,Anything and I mean anything that ingests it,will go by ,by.

spinner

That golden manderine stuff stinks, we used it around the rabbits, we had a 'possm get into it and die...we ended up with a bunch of baby 'possums, what a mess. The disposable fly traps work pretty well, but I Hate those long gummy things, I always seem to be walking into them. I swear by that SWAT stuff on the donkey, but I have to put it on every day.