Hot horses

spinner

Our horses were really hot yesterday...the two boys were a little hot and sweaty but my mare was really hot. They are out in my neighbor's pasture and they have shade. Last night I put them in the barn, not wanting to run them to the barn in a storm like the night before, and the mare was very hot and sweaty. If she gets too hot do I wash her off with the hose or something? Do I have to cover her so she doesn't get chilled? They were fine this morning. The other thing is they [all three of them] are doing this drooling spitting thing. You'll be standing there talking to them and all of a sudden spit and drool comes out of their mouth. They just started that since it got really hot. But it is kind of gross.

spinner

They aren't getting much hay at all right now, and there isn't any clover in what they do get. There is clover in the field but there have been horses in there for over a year and they were fine. I mean it isn't like they are standing around drooling just once in awhile. I'm not overly concerned because otherwise they are just fine. I just thought it was strange thing for them to do.
What is it about clover and horses? I know the mare shouldn't have fescue. Shoot, my goats can have anything...

spinner

So is this something I have to worry about or will they get used to the clover? I hate to have to move them back because they have so much grass there and they are so happy. I tried to find some information on the internet but couldn't find anything.

spinner

Well when I checked on them this morning the boys were fine but Chessie was just slobbering all over. So I just brought her home. I did an internet search and found information on slobbers, I was searching under clover and horse pasture thats why I couldn't find anything. I'll just keep her here, in extreme cases it could cause a horse to abort. It might be affecting her more because she is bred. Thank you for replying, I didn't know what to search under

fredsaid2

Slobbers

I found an article on this
http://www.horses-and-horse-information.com/articles/0799salv.shtml

Was once at a barn where any horses put in one particular pasture slobbered excessively. It wasn't pretty but didn't seem to hurt them.

If you're hosing to cool off remember to scrape the water off. Body heat is transfered to the water and unless it's removed it's like putting a blanket on them. Right now we're on night turnout and inside under fans during the day.

Good Luck!

spinner

That was the same article I found. Chessie cleared up the next day once I got her off that pasture. I was most worried about her as she is bred. Traveler slobbered a little yesterday but today is fine, Bob only did it a little in the beginning. Both of them are still in my neighbor's pasture, I am just going to leave them there. My neighbor was upset because he is planning to get horses and he was worried about any horses he gets doing the same thing. But from what I read there isn't much you can do about it.

As for Chessie being so hot, she hasn't sweated like that since I brough her home. I wonder if it was part of the reaction to the clover.
Of course the horses are calling to each other over the fences, there is a neighbor between me and where the horses are... needless to say he is thrilled...